DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ghidorah & Monster Zero - June 5

Old 02-18-07, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ghidorah & Monster Zero - June 5

Coming from Classic Media.

On Ed Gozsiszewski's JAPANESE GIANTS blog he says the discs are coming June 5 and lists these specs:

Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster
Special features
- English subtitles
- Japanese version of film
- Audio commentary by David Kalat
- Image Gallery
- Poster slide show
- Eiji Tsuburaya biography
- Original Japanese trailer
- Anamorphic Widescreen
- Japanese version runtime: 92:58
- English dubbed version runtime: 84:46

Invasion of Astro Monster (aka Monster Zero)
Special features
- English subtitles
- Japanese version of film
- Audio commentary by Stuart Galbraith IV
- Image Gallery
- Poster Slide show
- Tomoyuki Tanaka biography
- Original Japanese trailer
- Anamorphic Widescreen
- Japanese version runtime: 94:13
- English dubbed version runtime: 92:57

Also, wide release (B&M stores and online) of Godzilla Raids Again & Mothra Vs. Godzilla is April 3rd.
Old 02-18-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder if Ghidora and Monster Zero will see a wide release, or whether classic media will make them exclusives for six months like they did the others.
Old 02-18-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dammit. Another Godzilla double dip. Oh well, I love my Kaiju so I'm there.
Old 02-18-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay! Awesome news. I love how Classic Media is releasing these in nice transfers, some extras, and those slim cases that look like books.

I just got and watched Mothra vs Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again, so I can't wait for Ghidora and Monster Zero.
Old 02-18-07, 02:36 PM
Banned

Flippin' SWEET!
Old 02-18-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that these are coming out-what Godzilla movies are MIA?
Old 02-18-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This only leaves:

- Godzilla's Revenge (coming from CM)
- Godzilla v. Megalon (no plans)
- Terror of Mechagodzilla (coming from CM)
- Godzilla 1985 (no plans)
- Godzilla v. Biollante (no plans)

And then of course we need some reissues of Columbia releases that are either full-screen, dubbed, English versions or all three. I'm not going to hold my breath for those though.
Old 02-19-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, Monster Zero. Nick Adams' street-wise toughguy delivery of every line, Godzilla and Rodan in giant bubbles transported through space by UFOs, the Devo aliens, and Godzilla's victory dance on Planet X. It does not get better than this---my favorite of the series!
Old 02-19-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-19-07, 01:45 PM

Yes, Monster Zero captured my imagination as a child...I can't wait to see this again! There are definitely some odd parts of that movie that only add to it being a cult classic.
Old 02-19-07, 06:18 PM

I plan on waiting for the set. I don't want the thin cases without a box, personally.
Old 02-19-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are these more of the titles that were originally going to be in the 6-disc set? If so, does this mean the 6-disc set may still be coming?
Old 02-19-07, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dammit. Another Godzilla double dip.
I take it you're referring to Monster Zero? Simitar's release of that DVD is 10 years old now. It's time.

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Yay! Awesome news. I love... those slim cases that look like books.
Actually that's the one thing I don't like about these, mainly the fact that they won't stay closed without the belly band.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Are these more of the titles that were originally going to be in the 6-disc set? If so, does this mean the 6-disc set may still be coming?
Yes, after all of the discs are released individually the box set will come out.

I love Monster Zero, but Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster is my all time fave, and has never got a legit R1 release. I'll be wearin' that puppy out!
Old 02-20-07, 10:55 AM

I just got and watched Mothra vs Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again, so I can't wait for Ghidora and Monster Zero.
What ever happened to the release of these? It still lists them as being released in 2009. I thought they were supposed to get a regular release this month.
Old 02-20-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gbub
What ever happened to the release of these? It still lists them as being released in 2009. I thought they were supposed to get a regular release this month.

April 3rd.
Old 02-20-07, 01:44 PM

Thanks. Odd how it's listed as December of 2009.
Old 02-20-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JordanGLC

Yes, after all of the discs are released individually the box set will come out.
Thanks for the response. I'll wait for the box set.
Old 02-20-07, 04:35 PM

Yaay and its also my birthday that day (anyone wanting to give me any of these for my birthday is more than welcome)
Old 02-20-07, 10:27 PM

By "individual releases" do you mean Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Monster Zero, Ghidorah, and some other sixth movie?

Sorry to sound so naive about everything, but this is the first I've heard about any sort of box set and I'm just now getting into Godzilla/kaiju(sp?) films.
Old 02-20-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the 2-disc Godzilla/Gojira is going to be a part of the box set. If I remember right, the 6 discs are:

Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra Vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
Terror of MechGodzilla

Classic Media had originally scheduled it to come out around the same time Gojira came out. They pulled the box off the schedule and promised it would come out AFTER the individual releases were out.

There was some rumbling that the box set COULD come with a bonus 7th disc but that's all rumor for now.

BTW - Classic Media also has the rights to Rodan, Frankenstein Conquers the World, War of the Gargantuas & the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla animated series.
Old 02-20-07, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ignition
I'm just now getting into Godzilla/kaiju(sp?) films.
Better late than never! Yes, you spelled kaiju correctly. There's a lot to get in this genre. Check out my collection (I have a specific folder for kaiju) to see some (most) of what's available.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I don't think the 2-disc Godzilla/Gojira is going to be a part of the box set. If I remember right, the 6 discs are:

Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra Vs. Godzilla
Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
Terror of MechGodzilla

Classic Media had originally scheduled it to come out around the same time Gojira came out. They pulled the box off the schedule and promised it would come out AFTER the individual releases were out.

There was some rumbling that the box set COULD come with a bonus 7th disc but that's all rumor for now.
Mostly correct on what movies will be in the box. Sony has Son of Godzilla and it's already available on DVD. Godzilla's Revenge is the Minya flick that Classic Media has.

I'm guessing the bonus disc will happen. I'll sell all of my individuals and re-buy if I have to (Godzilla is the only film franchise I would do that for). I'm hoping that Classic Media will offer the bonus material on their website though.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
BTW - Classic Media also has the rights to Rodan, Frankenstein Conquers the World, War of the Gargantuas & the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla animated series..
Mostly correct again. They did have the rights to Frankenstein Conquers The World, but for some inexplicable reason they decided not to renew them when they expired. They were later convinced that it was a valuable title (especially considering they also had War of the Gargantuas), but when they approached Toho to reacquire it was too late. Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters now has the rights.
Old 02-21-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mostly correct on what movies will be in the box. Sony has Son of Godzilla and it's already available on DVD. Godzilla's Revenge is the Minya flick that Classic Media has.

Gah! I can't believe I brain farted on that! I have the Simitar box set and remembered the titles from that. For some reason, I mixed up the Minya movies in my head.

Mostly correct again. They did have the rights to Frankenstein Conquers The World, but for some inexplicable reason they decided not to renew them when they expired. They were later convinced that it was a valuable title (especially considering they also had War of the Gargantuas), but when they approached Toho to reacquire it was too late. Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters now has the rights.
I'm batting zero today. You are correct again, sir. In fact, last week I was in the FCTW/Media Blasters thread talking about the delay. I got it right then, don't know why I screwed up here!

I'm going to bed!
Old 03-17-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I wonder if Ghidora and Monster Zero will see a wide release, or whether classic media will make them exclusives for six months like they did the others.
These are now listed for pre-order on DDD's site for the June 5 release date. That being said, the previous 2 releases were also listed for a time before being pulled due to the Classic Media exclusive release deal.
Old 03-17-07, 12:17 PM

If you search the threads you'll find a post where I listed all the Big G movies, and what was available on DVD.

Most of them are out in r1, or are due. However, a few aren't worth having - for example, the existing double bill of King Ghidora/Battle for Earth is pan-and-scan (thankfuly Sony stopped doing this fairly early on), whilst the r1 releases of Megalon are universally dreadful.

However, if you work at it, you can find decent copies of the above in r4, whilst the two that are missing and not on the schedule for rights reasons - 85 and Biollante are out on a Hong Kong label; they're much better than the previous editions (which were pan-and-scan and also had things like forced French subtitles). They are letterbox, not anamophic, but are at least uncut and with an English track...or should I say "Engrish"
Old 03-20-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Big “G” is Back with the DVD Release of
GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER and
INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER

Classic Monster Movies Available on DVD June 5th

New York, NY (March 19, 2007) On June 5th, Classic Media and Genius Products will release two more classic Godzilla movies on DVD, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster and Invasion of Astro-Monster (originally titled Godzilla vs. Monster Zero in the U.S.). Each title includes both the original Japanese and US versions of films. Available for the first time, both Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster and Invasion of Astro-Monster will have a suggested retail price of $19.93 each.

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster mixes giant-monster action, paranormal mystery and James Bond-style intrigue for one of the most exciting and beloved entries in Toho’s long-running Godzilla series. Classic Media presents the film in both the original Japanese-language version (1964) in glorious Toho Scope, and the re-edited U.S. version (1965).

A prophetess from Venus foretells cataclysmic disasters! Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan reappear in Japan, wreaking havoc! A giant meteor crashes into the mountains and the three-headed, fire-spitting space dragon King Ghidorah emerges! As the Venusian’s prophecies come true, assassins from a tiny Asian kingdom hunt her down, while the Earth monsters must decide whether to settle their petty differences and join forces against the extraterrestrial enemy!

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster Bonus Features:

Audio Commentary by David Kalat
Eiji Tsuburaya Biography featurette
Original Japanese Trailer
Poster Slide Show
Image Gallery

Invasion of Astro-Monster aka Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Aliens from Planet X borrow our monsters for a little extermination project, but they’ve got something else up their sleeves: world domination! Using mind-control technology, these vinyl-and-sunglasses wearing spacemen turn Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah loose in Japan, demanding Earth’s surrender! It’s up to American astronaut F. Glenn, his galaxy-trotting buddy Fuji, and nerdy inventor Tetsuo to break the aliens’ hold on the monsters and save our planet from certain doom.

Invasion of Astro-Monster represents the pinnacle of Toho’s monster cinema, with an all-star cast featuring Nick Adams (The Rebel), Akira Takarada (the original GODZILLA) and Kumi Mizuno as alien temptress Namikawa, plus a cavalcade of amazing retro-riffic special effects. The original, un-cut Japanese version was released in 1965. The English-dubbed, US version was released in 1970 as Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.

Invasion of Astro-Monster/Godzilla vs. Monster Zero Bonus Features:

Audio Commentary by Stuart Galbraith IV
Tomoyuki Tanaka Biography featurette
Original Japanese Trailer
Poster Slide Show
Image Gallery

U.S. RUNNING TIME: 84:46
JAPANESE RUN TIME: 92:58

Invasion of Astro-Monster
U.S. RUNING TIME: 92:57
JAPANESE RUNNING TIME: 94:13

About Classic Media

Classic Media, a division of Entertainment Rights, Plc, manages some of the world’s most recognizable family properties across all media including feature film, television, home video and consumer products. The company’s extensive library features a diverse collection of popular animated and live-action characters such as: Casper the Friendly Ghost, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Lone Ranger, Lassie, Underdog and Rocky & Bullwinkle.

About Genius Products

Genius Products, Inc. (OTCBB:GNPI), along with The Weinstein Company, jointly owns Genius Products, LLC, a leading independent home-entertainment distribution company that produces, licenses and distributes a valuable library of motion pictures, television programming, family, lifestyle and trend entertainment on DVD and other emerging platforms through its expansive network of retailers throughout the U.S. Genius handles the distribution, marketing and sales for such brands as Asia Extreme™, Baby Genius®, Discovery Kids™, Dragon Dynasty™ , Dimension Films™, ESPN®, IFC®, RHI Entertainment™, Sesame Workshop®, Wellspring™, The Weinstein Company® and WWE®. Genius Products, Inc. is the managing member of Genius Products, LLC, in which it holds a 30% equity interest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.