Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

A message left for Shout! Factory for "Ed"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 11:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A message left for Shout! Factory for "Ed"

Yesterday I left a post on their community forum asking them to be involved in helping bring "Ed" to DVD. As you may know, "Ed" used a lot of music and the music rights are what are preventing this from being released. If any other "Ed" fans would like to add to it, in support of their involvement, the link to the thread is below.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/65/thread.aspx

It is my hope that Shout! can work with the creators and the right holders in clearing all of the music in "Ed" and to help bring this series to DVD.
Old 01-31-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I've already fired off quite a few emails to them.

Unfortunately, if NBC/Uni isn't handling it, I don't think they'll let anyone else. And if they did release it, they'd probably slaughter it with music changes..
Old 01-31-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know at this point with shows like "Ed," "Wonder Years," "Ally McBeal," and "Boston Public" (and I know I'm going to be attack for this), I'm don't really care about the music, I just want the episodes on DVD. I mean I know it makes a huge difference, and some songs should be attempted to be kept in the episodes - but it in the grandscheme of things with 95% of the music it doesn't matter. Take ROSWELL for example: the original producers went in, changed the music and the DVDs finally came out and their wasn't a lot of bitching because a) perfect songs where mached and b) the important songs (the theme song, Sarah Mclaclagn song in the pilot, Sense Field in the finale) where kept in tack...
Old 01-31-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, I really don't think they'd have a problem with "Next Year". Dave doesn't seem like a prick.

Too bad the same can't be said about the others responsible for "music rights"...
Old 01-31-07, 04:07 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Well, I really don't think they'd have a problem with "Next Year". Dave doesn't seem like a prick.

Too bad the same can't be said about the others responsible for "music rights"...
It's not the artists, it's the publishers (ASCAP, BMI, etc.)
Old 02-01-07, 06:27 AM

Sometimes it is the artists, I think. I seem to remember something from a commentary track on Season 1 of Scrubs. They were saying that a couple of the artists wanted way too much money because they had recently become more famous than they were when the episodes originally aired. I might be wrong, but I think they might've been talking about Five For Fighting. Does that ring a bell for anyone else?
Old 02-01-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe music rights are holding up "thirtysomething," and I agree with critterdvd: I'd rather have the episodes released now even if it was without music that "doesn't really matter." There are times, however, when important songs should be kept -- for example, the first season's Christmas episode features Joni Mitchell's "River," and not only does she sing it, but they use it as the score throughout the film. It just wouldn't be the same without it, and it's my favorite episode.
Old 02-01-07, 03:31 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Sometimes it is the artists, I think. I seem to remember something from a commentary track on Season 1 of Scrubs. They were saying that a couple of the artists wanted way too much money because they had recently become more famous than they were when the episodes originally aired. I might be wrong, but I think they might've been talking about Five For Fighting. Does that ring a bell for anyone else?
Artists sell the publishing rights for their music -- that's how they make a living. The comments you heard represent the same misconception I'm trying to dispel here. It's quite likely for the publishers of certain songs to ask for a higher licensing fee when a band "hits it big", but unless they've retained the publishing rights (which is very rare, just ask Paul McCartney), then the artists themselves don't have much control over that.
Old 02-01-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish they would do something similiar to what they did with Freaks & Geeks (I know that is not why they did it for that show, but it demonstrates the model can work) for programs that are having music issues.

1 set that replaces the most costly music, but retains everything else.

1 set that does not replace any of the music, is limited to X number of units (hopefully the rights would be cheaper), but comes with a bigger price tag and likely handled thru direct distribution (no discounts).

At least there would be a choice to see just how important music would be to some people. I sure it would be quite complicated to accomplish something like this however.
Old 02-01-07, 05:17 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I sure it would be quite complicated to accomplish something like this however.
Yes, and the added time and expense is often not worth it to studios who barely made the decision to actually put the stuff out in the first place. A lot of times, they decide that it's better for them not to bother with some titles, which of course sucks for the fans.

The scenario you mention is a great way to have it both ways, though. It would be nice if that would happen more often.
Old 02-01-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

this is a bit off-topic but can anyone tell me why exactly the "love & Marriage" theme song isn't on most of the married with children dvds exept for s1?
is it because of frank sinatra?

You know at this point with shows like "Ed," "Wonder Years," "Ally McBeal," and "Boston Public" (and I know I'm going to be attack for this), I'm don't really care about the music, I just want the episodes on DVD. I mean I know it makes a huge difference, and some songs should be attempted to be kept in the episodes - but it in the grandscheme of things with 95% of the music it doesn't matter. Take ROSWELL for example: the original producers went in, changed the music and the DVDs finally came out and their wasn't a lot of bitching because a) perfect songs where mached and b) the important songs (the theme song, Sarah Mclaclagn song in the pilot, Sense Field in the finale) where kept in tack...
i agree %100 i would rather see these shows released with different music rather than not at all.

its amazing to me that even new shows like "my name is earl" has replaced music. in this day and age the show creators and producers should know that there show will probally come to dvd.
i would love to see boston public on dvd that was such a great show and i could care less, well its not that i don't care but i would rather have some changed music and see the show than not at all.
these sound people could replace the music with something so similar that people won't complain as much, the'll still complain but not as much.

and to A &E: we want third watch!
Old 02-01-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget global warming and Iraq...where are the politicians who can lobby to change the laws in this country regarding music rights on TV shows on DVD?
Old 02-02-07, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

I got a response above in case anyone has missed it. The gist of it is Brian Ward, who's the Producer and Manager, DVD & Home Video, at Shout! Factory, responded that he's a huge fan of "Ed", and would love to work on it and finally bring the series out on DVD. They know their audiences, and "Ed" would be better off in the capable hands at Shout. I wish Shout! Factory would also tackle "The Wonder Years", especially with there being only 6 episodes in the first season. They could use this as a springboard, for future releases, if sells incredibly well. But Fox Home Entertainment would never seek Shout out. The music in "The Wonder Years" is even more essential given the time period in the series it was trying to convey.

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone would like to add to the "The Wonder Years" thread on the "Studio and Manufacturer Feedback" forum on Home Theater Forum directed at Fox, the link is below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=247618

It's a long-shot, I know, but maybe enough fans can convince Fox to at least give the first season a shot.

Last edited by macphoen; 02-02-07 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The music in "The Wonder Years" is even more essential given the time period in the series it was trying to convey.
Even if they had to replace music, what do you think they would do? Get music from Hillary Duff?