Opinion on Used DVDs

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Opinion on Used DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy a used film every now and then, but only if I don't want to pay top price for new, or if I'm trying to complete a set. I've bought off EBay like the ST "Empire Of Dreams" bonus disc and The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion, and they came with inserts and everything. The only hang-up I ever had on a PV DVD was a copy of the extended LOTR: FOTR I bought in New Jersey during a class trip. It skipped about 30 seconds half-way through the first disc. No big deal, I just sold it to my uncle and made what I spent back. I can usually find pretty good deals on new discs anyway, so it's not always a pressing priority.

The last score I had was getting the OOP Man With The Golden Gun SE and the second season of Lost (in separate cases) as part of a 3 for $10 sale at Rogers Video here in Canada.

Last edited by crazyrabbits; 02-07-07 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-07-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There use to be a mom and pops store near me that use to sell used DVDs that were almost pristine. They always took out the DVDs and put them in blank cases to rent. When they sold the used ones the original cases always had all the inserts they came with. The owner went as far as to cut out the sticker on the shrinkwrap and put it with the inserts so you can read it. The prices were also decent; anywhere from $6 to $10. Eventually, they were forced to close down when Blockbuster and Hollywood video opened around the corner.
Old 02-07-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
I have no problem buying used, considering that one of the local "exchange" chains has most of their discs priced at $5.00 or less (excluding boxsets, of course). I am also an active trader in the DVD Exchange forum here.

Thanks to Black Friday deals and the $2.00 titles showing up at Big Lots, I haven't picked up anything used in months, but I am heading to FYE tonight to trade for some used titles.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Mod note: question removed since Filmmaker can't answer
Old 02-07-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrhan
There use to be a mom and pops store near me that use to sell used DVDs that were almost pristine. They always took out the DVDs and put them in blank cases to rent. When they sold the used ones the original cases always had all the inserts they came with. The owner went as far as to cut out the sticker on the shrinkwrap and put it with the inserts so you can read it. The prices were also decent; anywhere from $6 to $10. Eventually, they were forced to close down when Blockbuster and Hollywood video opened around the corner.
That sounds great. If I had a store like that I'd never buy another new DVD again. It's too bad big business always kills those kinda places.
Old 02-07-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
That sounds great. If I had a store like that I'd never buy another new DVD again. It's too bad big business always kills those kinda places.
I understand why they closed down but they had competitive prices and the owners were movie enthusiasts. Unlike the BB or HV employees who don't know jack about movies; these guys were like encyclopedias when it came to discussing films. They were in business a long time going back to the VHS/LD days and I haven't found any place like it since. I rarely go to BB or HV and basically Netflix everything now.
Old 02-07-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to buy almost everything new when it came out. I just don't see the value in doing that anymore. I'm not obssessed that every disc be spotless. I'm pretty much at the stage that if it plays, I'm cool. If it skips, freezes, etc it's out the door. That's only happened a couple of times.

I've saved tens of thousands buying used, putting aside the ones I find to resell. That, in and of itself, is a small income and the money I save buying used can be spent better elsewhere.

Used CD, DVD stores such as McKay's for those in the middle TN region. Pawn shops, flea markets, etc. It's all good as long as they are in decent condition. That way if the movie sucks, which most do(I know I'm cynical), I can flip it on Ebay or sell it back to a DVD store. Either way I get my money back and then some. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying AND renting. I haven't had to rent a movie in years. Why should I bother when I can get a DVD for $3-5 and then resell it for the same or more. And if there's no market I have plenty of relatives that like free movies.

Buying used is the way to go. But for the collector's I can understand the hesitation as a great deal of used DVDs get hashed. Fortunately you find out very quick which places are particaular on what they take and what they refuse. A local place called Grumpy's(he really is grumpy) are ALWAYS spotless.
Old 02-08-07, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
I used to buy almost everything new when it came out. I just don't see the value in doing that anymore. I'm not obssessed that every disc be spotless. I'm pretty much at the stage that if it plays, I'm cool. If it skips, freezes, etc it's out the door. That's only happened a couple of times.

I've saved tens of thousands buying used, putting aside the ones I find to resell. That, in and of itself, is a small income and the money I save buying used can be spent better elsewhere.

Used CD, DVD stores such as McKay's for those in the middle TN region. Pawn shops, flea markets, etc. It's all good as long as they are in decent condition. That way if the movie sucks, which most do(I know I'm cynical), I can flip it on Ebay or sell it back to a DVD store. Either way I get my money back and then some. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying AND renting. I haven't had to rent a movie in years. Why should I bother when I can get a DVD for $3-5 and then resell it for the same or more.
Either, this is a case of Telepathy, or you are my long lost twin sibling.... You don't have any distant relatives, do ya?
Old 02-08-07, 01:08 PM

I'm also a big fan of buying used DVD's. Part of the fun is simply browsing for buried treasure, like when I picked up the CC The Killer for about $10, or today, when I took advantage of FYE's trade in two used for $14.99 credit towards a used disc to pick up the 4 disc Narnia set for $4 plus tax. I traded Meet the Fockers and Reality Bites (both of which I had previously bought used for around $7 apiece).

Buying Used DVD's just makes all kinds of sense to me.
Old 02-11-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYE's trade 2 used for 1 used deal is pretty sweet. I got four DVD's that look to be in excellent shape, and one that's in a 'bleh' kinda shape. I'll just be bringing it to a Hollywood Video to see if they'll clean it for me.
Old 03-05-07, 07:11 PM

Rarely, as I don't find that great of deals around my area. I tend to only buy stuff on sale anyways so usually used aren't that much cheaper, if at all, than the sale items.
Old 03-06-07, 10:52 AM

I buy a lot of cd's/dvd's used.
One thing I do before I buy is that I always inspect the disc before I purchase it at the store. Places like Blockbuster I might mention "I'm just anal with my discs." Usually they will agree and let me inspect multiple copies until I find a mint copy. Used cd shops will just open a case and i'll inspect them one by one. Lots of $5-$10, even $2.50 titles! Sometimes a 'for what it's worth' $1 title will spring up!!!
Once I get them home I wipe the case down with a damp rag or paper towel. So for the most part you can look at my collection and you probably couldn't tell the difference of what I got new or used (apart from the ones in Blockbuster cases).

Last edited by danganet; 03-06-07 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-06-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't do it. I've gotten a few off of ebay (From Hell Director's Edition, etc.) that were mint. Did it once at Blockbuster and won't again. That disc was gone within a week.