Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinion on Used DVDs

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Opinion on Used DVDs

Old 02-03-07, 05:35 PM
  #101  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think that both of you need to tone it down before this gets even more out of hand and people start reporting you to the forum mods.
You're quite right, I've just grown very, very, very, very tired of some randon forum member feeling the need to "take the piss out of me", as the Brits say, for a) just a simple, unemotional opinion I make or b) to run uninvited to the defense of some other piss-taker that can take care of themselves fine in what feels like nearly every damnable thread I post in these days. I feel like John Milner always having to fiddle-fuck around with an endless stream of Bob Falfa's when all I want to do is be left alone to just talk.
Old 02-03-07, 06:43 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
No, he's not "from the fuckin' 1600s" as you inquired, its called reality. It doesn't matter how prestine DVDs, or any other materials things may be, you can't take them with you. So therefore, everything we have on this earth is only temporary. Nothing last 4-evah!
First of all, coming to Filmmaker's defense, I completely agree. I take a certain amount of pride in having all my discs look as if they did the day I opened them. And to get even more to the point, Filmmaker was simply saying that it's nice to know that a disc is definatley going to work each time you want to play it.

"So therefore, everything we have on this earth is only temporary. Nothing last 4-evah!" And as for that, I'm not completely sure what that's all about. I don't know how spirituality or religious beliefs or whatever made it's way into this conversation. Filmmaker wasn't even slightly alluding to that in the original post. A statement like actually has no place in a conversation such as this.
Old 02-03-07, 07:32 PM
  #103  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think of them as used. I think of them as TESTED.

I won't try to convince anyone of the merits of buying used DVDs, but I haven't had any significant trouble finding used or previously rented DVDs in near perfect shape. Many of the retail stores in my area put DVDs with mangled cases (especially if they are cardboard) on the shelf, and I've had several scratched discs from brand new packages because the disc slipped off the spindle or was scratched during production. So why should I buy new when I can get used DVDs in near-new condition for a LOT less money? I guarantee the stores won't let you open a new DVD to see if it's less than perfect, but they will let you inspect a used DVD.

Maybe I'm lucky, because the customers at my Hastings store seem to treat rentals very well and sell off their DVDs before they get messed up. I clean all stickers and adhesives from my discs and cases as soon as I get them home, or replace cases that are torn up or have that maddening leftover plastic sticking to the spine of the case. Looking at the shelves, they all seem new.
Old 02-03-07, 08:33 PM
  #104  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
First of all, coming to Filmmaker's defense, I completely agree.
In regards to defending Filmmaker, I can care less, that's your prerogative.
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
And to get even more to the point, Filmmaker was simply saying that it's nice to know that a disc is definatley going to work each time you want to play it.
This is totally inaccurate. From past experiences, brand new DVDs are sporadically subjected to manufacturer defects, which are unknowledgeable to the consumer as well, more so than used DVDs until they're played.
Old 02-03-07, 08:54 PM
  #105  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SINGLE104, here's the part I don't get--why is it becoming an Ahab-and-the-whale mission for you to disprove the logic of new-DVDs-only buyers, rather than just letting it stand that you disagree? If you like used DVDs, great--go by truckloads of the damn things. And for those of us who prefer 'em new, well that's pretty killer-diller, too, because we contribute to the leavings you buy up a year or two after we bought 'em, so everyone walks away happy, right? Why are you getting so worked up over this? Can't you admit that collectors such as yourself fundamentally need collectors like me?
Old 02-03-07, 09:51 PM
  #106  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravyn
I have no trouble when I buy used. Especially that I make sure I get them only from FYI. They are very particular with used dvd and games. They will not taking anything that is scratched.
That's fye, and don't you believe it -- I've seen the worst former-rental crap and even Malaysian bootlegs at my local fye. The only acronym you can count on when buying used DVDs is YMMV.
Old 02-03-07, 09:58 PM
  #107  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I am an only child and I fully support buying used dvds. It's just like buying anything used, you just have to check out it's condition ahead of time (if possible), or at least consider where/who you are buying it from.

Actually, I would say almost half of my collection was bought used.
And I am not an only child, and rarely buy used. So, Filmmaker, your sweeping generalization doesn't hold up to... hmm, what's that word? Oh yeah, reality.
Old 02-03-07, 10:02 PM
  #108  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think everyone needs to re-read the title of this thread. It's an informal poll of everyone's OPINION. Stop trying to prove that everyone else is an idiot -- nobody gives a shit if you wouldn't have someone else's collection because it's largely comprised of used DVDs, and people who insist on buying new don't give a shit about how much you can save by buying other people's castoffs.

I personally think both sides need to get a life.
Old 02-03-07, 10:04 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,578
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a fan of buying used DVDs. I'd rather wait X amount of months and get it new. I'm OK with mint used DVDs.

The major exception for me is DVDs from wherehouse.com. I buy on the 20-25% off deals all the time, and trade in the occasional DVD/game to them. Used DVDs from wherehouse are always in almost mint condition and can be a great deal. I especially tend to pick up discs super cheap. I got Rambo 2 for like $3.47 or something. Can't get much cheaper than that, and the discs are always virtually mint. Hell my copy of Gojira still had some of the wrapping on it.
Old 02-03-07, 10:06 PM
  #110  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
SINGLE104, here's the part I don't get--why is it becoming an Ahab-and-the-whale mission for you to disprove the logic of new-DVDs-only buyers, rather than just letting it stand that you disagree? If you like used DVDs, great--go by truckloads of the damn things. And for those of us who prefer 'em new, well that's pretty killer-diller, too, because we contribute to the leavings you buy up a year or two after we bought 'em, so everyone walks away happy, right? Why are you getting so worked up over this? Can't you admit that collectors such as yourself fundamentally need collectors like me?
Filmmaker! You're severely egotistical. I don't need you. I never stated that I was trying to persuade anyone to buy used DVDs, I'm just voicing my opinion just like everyone else in this thread. And Filmmaker, If you prefer DVDs that are new, used, found in the toilet, in a cesspool, I really don't give a damn. Buy whatever tickles your fancy, I'm not the one who's buying them, so why should I care. End of discussion.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 02-03-07 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 11:11 PM
  #111  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
And I am not an only child, and rarely buy used. So, Filmmaker, your sweeping generalization doesn't hold up to... hmm, what's that word? Oh yeah, reality.
Hey, kiss off, jerk wad--jeez, what is the fucking deal with people in this thread?! I merely postulated a theory as to the breakdown of used DVD buyers versus new DVD buyers and said I was curious if birth order had any play in it; I didn't assert it as fact. Take a fucking pill, then hand the rest of the bottle over to SINGLE104. Jesus wept, what a pathetic downturn this meager little opinion poll turned into.
Old 02-03-07, 11:37 PM
  #112  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock this thread please, Admins. It's making me tired.
Old 02-03-07, 11:43 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hey, kiss off, jerk wad--jeez, what is the fucking deal with people in this thread?! I merely postulated a theory as to the breakdown of used DVD buyers versus new DVD buyers and said I was curious if birth order had any play in it; I didn't assert it as fact. Take a fucking pill, then hand the rest of the bottle over to SINGLE104. Jesus wept, what a pathetic downturn this meager little opinion poll turned into.
Aaaand there's where people start reporting things to the forum mods.
Old 02-04-07, 12:00 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy lots of used DVDs. In fact, here is a MAJOR score I caught at Blockbuster today:

Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca - Anchor Bay OOP Currently going for around $100.
The Lady Vanishes - Criterion Collection
Lord Of The Flies - Criterion Collection
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie - Criterion Collection
Bus 174
Maria Full Of Grace
The Celluloid Closet

For a grand total of $40. That price for two of those Criterion discs would have been a good deal.
Old 02-04-07, 12:45 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 2,854
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some people like nuts. some people like chocolate. i like nuts with chocolate. that said,

die! thread! die!
Old 02-04-07, 12:50 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,552
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, anything that saves me money and makes more money available to pay bills and buy other things is alright in my eyes.
Old 02-04-07, 02:55 AM
  #117  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
This is totally inaccurate. From past experiences, brand new DVDs are sporadically subjected to manufacturer defects, which are unknowledgeable to the consumer as well, more so than used DVDs until they're played.
Yes, this is true but you can always return a defective disc, used or new. Once you've purchased the disc and you are satisfied that it is in proper working order it should last forever, providing you take care of it. Some of us just like the fact that the disc is not scratched and the case is damn near perfect looking. For some of us, it's just a piece of mind thing.
Old 02-04-07, 06:57 AM
  #118  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,196
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GENERAL THREAD WARNING

Mod note: I think everyone needs to takes a step back from this thread and calm down a bit. Remember everyone has and is entitled to their own positions on any given subject. If you don't like someone else's opinion that's fine, but it's no reason to get belligerent. Similarly if someone is being hostile (or what you perceive as being hostile) towards you DO NOT RESPOND IN KIND, just report the post to the mods and move on. Filmmaker in particular your post (#111) was completely uncalled for. You've been here long enough to know that language/attitude towards other posters is not appreciated here.

Any further "outbursts" on anyone's part will at min cause the thread to be closed.

Last edited by nemein; 02-04-07 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 09:06 AM
  #119  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nemein, you are quite right and I take full responsibility; in my defense, though, please read my post #101--this "let's lay into Filmmaker like a monkey on a cupcake" mentality is truly becoming a pandemic on these boards and I'm deathly sick of it. Regardless of how I subsequently handled myself with porieux, SINGLE104 or Mike Adams, you have to admit, I neither asked for, nor deserved, any of their initial hostility. Hell, these days, I'd be shooting you moderators "come and save me" emails hand-over-fist. Is there any way a thread could be created by one of you mods--better yet, a sticky--advising forum members to just back the fuck up off of Filmmaker?
Old 02-04-07, 09:43 AM
  #120  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
nemein, you are quite right and I take full responsibility; in my defense, though, please read my post #101--this "let's lay into Filmmaker like a monkey on a cupcake" mentality is truly becoming a pandemic on these boards and I'm deathly sick of it. Regardless of how I subsequently handled myself with porieux, SINGLE104 or Mike Adams, you have to admit, I neither asked for, nor deserved, any of their initial hostility. Hell, these days, I'd be shooting you moderators "come and save me" emails hand-over-fist. Is there any way a thread could be created by one of you mods--better yet, a sticky--advising forum members to just back the fuck up off of Filmmaker?
(apologies to Nemein and other mods if I'm overstepping and saying things that they should be saying)

Watching your conduct both here and at DVDSpot, I have to say that many a time you bring negative reaction upon yourself with your conduct. Maybe you should take a step back and look at your own behavior? And if you feel that others are unfairly singling you out and violating forum rules, maybe instead of breaking the rules yourself with personal attacks like "kiss off, jerk wad," you should just report the post and let the mods handle it.

Just one man's opinion, take it for what you will. I'm not looking to open a discussion on the topic, just making a suggestion you can take or ignore.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 02-04-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 11:12 AM
  #121  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
(apologies to Nemein and other mods if I'm overstepping and saying things that they should be saying)

Watching your conduct both here and at DVDSpot, I have to say that many a time you bring negative reaction upon yourself with your conduct. Maybe you should take a step back and look at your own behavior? And if you feel that others are unfairly singling you out and violating forum rules, maybe instead of breaking the rules yourself with personal attacks like "kiss off, jerk wad," you should just report the post and let the mods handle it.

Just one man's opinion, take it for what you will. I'm not looking to open a discussion on the topic, just making a suggestion you can take or ignore.
First of all, where do you see me talking at DVDSpot?! In fact, where does anyone talk at DVDSpot?! I wasn't aware they had a forum, so I daresay you have me confused with someone else--the only other forum I frequent is HTF, and I never have these problems there (the flipside to that is the conversations at HTF are rarely as engaging). As far as "my own behavior", as I keep saying, it is the response of someone who is at the end of his proverbial rope, someone who would like to enjoy this forum the same as everyone else, without some upstart challenger trying to take me down a peg each and every goddamned time I open my mouth. It's getting really, really old, and that's why I'm lashing out--enough is enough already. Lastly, as I also referenced, if I fall back on the moderators as I'm required to do, that's all I would be doing all day instead of actually having dialogue in these threads where I'd like to be--hell, in this thread alone, I would have had to send in "moderators, save me" emails for no less than three different upstarts. That, too, gets ever so tiresome, especially for someone like myself who rankles at the idea of being forced to call on other people to "save me", rather than handling these "mouths" on my own. All said, MovieExchange, I guess I understand that, in some way, you're trying to be constructive and helpful but, since you want to focus on the guy who was attacked first, rather than the three that started the descent in quality of this thread then, if possible, I'll kindly ask that you, too, step off of Filmmaker.
Old 02-04-07, 12:39 PM
  #122  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hey, kiss off, jerk wad--jeez, what is the fucking deal with people in this thread?! I merely postulated a theory as to the breakdown of used DVD buyers versus new DVD buyers and said I was curious if birth order had any play in it; I didn't assert it as fact. Take a fucking pill, then hand the rest of the bottle over to SINGLE104. Jesus wept, what a pathetic downturn this meager little opinion poll turned into.
Look dude, I didn't come at you with any "hostility", so you need to sit down with your shrink and figure out where that perception came from. If you take every comment refuting something you've said as a personal attack, then you won't last long on any internet forum, or really any community in real life for that matter. Besides, even if you didn't assert that it's a hard-and-fast rule, we can still say you're wrong. If you were simply "wondering aloud", now you have your answer -- siblings have nothing to do with it. However, in light of the fact that you can't seem to "play well with others", your revelation that you are an only child doesn't shock me.

Bottom line, play nice or go home.


Oh... one last note. To even entertain the idea that the mods are gonna create a sticky thread just to tell people that you're "special" and can't take the kind of criticism we all get in this forum from time to time (and I'm speaking from experience here), gives new meaning to the term "narcissistic". The rules of this forum have long been posted, and they advocate fair play for everybody, so if anyone was giving you any undeserved grief, they'd step in for you just as quickly as they would for anyone else. Welcome to equality, dude.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 02-04-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 01:18 PM
  #123  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
The major exception for me is DVDs from wherehouse.com. I buy on the 20-25% off deals all the time, and trade in the occasional DVD/game to them. Used DVDs from wherehouse are always in almost mint condition and can be a great deal. I especially tend to pick up discs super cheap. I got Rambo 2 for like $3.47 or something. Can't get much cheaper than that, and the discs are always virtually mint. Hell my copy of Gojira still had some of the wrapping on it.
I can't speak for their website, but the fye location I was talking about before actually used to be a Wherehouse, but hopefully the online folks are pickier about what they'll accept.
Old 02-04-07, 04:19 PM
  #124  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, Mike, to say nothing of the bald-faced lie you are committing by saying you have expressed no hostility toward me while continuing to do just the opposite, you are now in violation of nemein's request to all of us, so I will now be reporting you. Take care, friend.
Old 02-04-07, 06:08 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if this has been touched upon on this thread so far or not, but is there anyone here who has never bought a used DVD at all? If so, do you plan on not buying used discs forever?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.