Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Woody Woodpecker & Friends - This summer!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

From this thread:

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/...showtopic=3091

and the following transcript:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...44&postcount=9

Jerry Beck: I have just convinced them to at least try to put out a Woody Woodpecker and friends DVD the right way, uncut, restored and, not only that, I've gone even further than I thought I would with them. It's going to come out in summer, in June, actually in July and it's going to have like the first forty-five Woody Woodpeckers, which are the good ones, you know, all the 1940s ones where he's really crazy. And then we're going to have these classic four Tex Avery cartoons that Avery did in the 50s are going to be on here. We're going to have some 1930s Oswalds and Pooch the Pup and we're going to have some of the 1940s Swing Symphony cartoons. So it's going to be a real rounded package. It's going to have about seventy-five cartoons on it and it's--I was totally programmed that if they never put out anything again, then all the ones I really want them to restore and to make available will be there and I think everyone will go with me on that, I think you'll trust me on that, that these are the ones you really want.
Old 01-29-07, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoooooooooooo About Fucking Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First Droopy gets announced, now Woody - my inner child is having the equivelent of pre-pubescence orgasms!
Old 01-30-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good news indeed
Old 01-30-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Didn't they announce Woody Woodpecker before and nothing happened?
Old 01-30-07, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-30-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Didn't they announce Woody Woodpecker before and nothing happened?

that's because Woody DID go straight to the police....
Old 02-21-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm happy to hear about this. The summer is going to be poppin'!! First Popeye, now Woody!!
Old 02-21-07, 09:46 PM

Awesome. Has anyone heard anything about Chilly Willy?
Old 02-22-07, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by king3style
mmmmm...more pancakes?

Chilly Willy: "more pancakes"

More Butter.....

Chilly Willy: "more butter"

Chilly Willy was an awesome character!!! I cannot wait for the Woody Woodpecker collection. Wonder what took so long?
Old 02-22-07, 07:27 AM

I heard the news about Popeye last summer, but haven't heard a thing since. I really hope they come through with a good classic Fleischer Popeye set.
Old 02-22-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Still waiting for The Lone Ranger cartoons.
Old 02-23-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes! Sounds like they are going all out on this too. Hopefully it sells well, remember to buy!
Old 02-23-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you take your dog with you to go buy this set, but make sure you look both ways.

Old 02-23-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
How will this differ from the Columbia House releases from a few years ago?
Old 03-11-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought one of the Woody Columbia House discs off ebay...for fifty bucks, but it was well worth the money just to glimpse Woody again after all these years. The disc only contained about four Woody shorts, and left me drooling for more. After hearing that a definitive Woody Woodpecker DVD collection is coming out in just a few more months - JULY! - I looked up at the sky and smiled into the sun. Good news, indeed, from the heaven's themselves.

Woody is such an underappreciated character from the theatrical age of cartoons. Hopefully, with a little more marketing and a classy DVD release, this could change and today's generation can appreciate the wonderful gems from the Lantz vaults.

One of the Woody shorts, Pantry Panic, became a Public Domain cartoon, and can be seen everywhere on the internet. What psychotics they had in the Lantz studio! Woody and the Cat are first trying to eat one another, then this moose stands in their doorway. Woody and the Cat chase it, and the next scene shows Woody and the Cat eating what's left of the Moose - a big pile of the Moose's bones are in their hands. That's sick! That's terrific! Not even the manicial Bugs Bunny resorted to that. LOL.
Old 04-03-07, 04:23 PM

Jerry Beck has just hinted on a message board about the new Popeye DVD that he will be breaking some Woody Woodpecker news on Tuesday (4/10).

It's the comment listed on 04/3/07 12:15am
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/popeye-dvd

What a great year for classic animation on DVD!
Old 04-04-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its great we have the Popeye press release! Now what about confirming the upcoming Woody release? Any info yet on Woody?
Old 04-04-07, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Its great we have the Popeye press release! Now what about confirming the upcoming Woody release? Any info yet on Woody?
we will have more info about it Tuesday (4/10). Read my earlier post.
Old 04-05-07, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by king3style
Best character from Universal. He needs his own collection.
Old 04-05-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aye, give me Chilly, Woody, Chip and Dale and Smurfs next two years and I'll die happy.
Old 04-10-07, 07:15 AM

JULY 24!
From Jerry Beck on http://cartoonbrew.com/

Guess Who?

I’m very happy to announce that Universal is releasing The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection on July 24th. This new DVD collection includes three discs containing 75 theatrical cartoons, completely uncut and restored from the original Universal Pictures master negatives (and I promise, no DVNR). It’ll retail at $39.98.

In addition to the first 45 Woody Woodpecker cartoons–presented in original release order–from Knock Knock (1940) to The Great Who-Dood-It (1952), the first five Chilly Willy cartoons (which includes two Tex Avery classics), and five choice Andy Panda cartoons, there will be several Swing Symphonies (including Culhane’s Abu Ben Boogie and The Greatest Man In Siam, among others), Oswald Rabbit (Confidence, Hell’s Heels, Oscar nominee Merry Old Soul and others) and wartime cartoons (like Pigeon Patrol and Pass The Biscuits Mirandy).

That’s not all. Miscellanous Walter Lantz Cartunes (like Hysterical High Spots in American History, Pooch the Pup in King Klunk, Peterkin in Scrambled Eggs, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B and the Avery masterpieces, Crazy Mixed Up Pup and SHH-H-H-H-H) plus bonus material including six Behind-the-Scenes with Walter Lantz segments from the 1957 Woody Woodpecker Show and the rarely seen Halloween TV special Spook-a-Nanny.

And there’s more. I’ll impart further information in future posts, but for now let’s just say our friends at Universal did this one right. Plan on adding this to your collection–you won’t regret it.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/w...dpecker-on-dvd

This release sounds great. First Droopy, then Popeye, and now Woody... JOY!

Last edited by The No Man; 04-10-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty amazing news. So much to get this year for Golden Age cartoons fans!
Old 04-11-07, 03:44 PM
Banned

I wonder how can Universal include Oswald Rabbit shorts in this set after they sold the rights back to Disney. Disney is even releasing a Treasures set to conmemorate the character.
Old 04-11-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder why Popeye was the only collection to have vintage art animation on the cover, while everything else - from the Golden Collection, to Tom and Jerry, to Woody Woodpecker - has that "updated" look? It cheapens the box, although there is treasure inside.

It just puzzles me. It won't stop me the second this becomes available to purchase, however.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.