Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Woody Woodpecker & Friends - This summer!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Woody Woodpecker & Friends - This summer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
I wonder how can Universal include Oswald Rabbit shorts in this set after they sold the rights back to Disney. Disney is even releasing a Treasures set to conmemorate the character.

I believe Disney only wanted the rights to the Oswald Walt created and the shorts he worked on. They didn't want the Walter Lantz toons or reinterpretation of the character.

Disney's Oswald:

Lantz's Oswald:
Old 04-12-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A snippet from an article at the Golden Age of Cartoons:

In February 2006, as part of a deal to secure sportscaster Al Michaels for NBC Sports, NBC Universal sold or sublicensed the 26 Disney-produced Oswald cartoons to The Walt Disney Company. Disney has also acquired character rights to its version of Oswald. There is no doubt that Disney has big plans for the rabbit, with the existing Disney Oswalds scheduled for a Walt Disney Treasures DVD release fall 2007 and a new line of character merchandise beginning to appear.

Nevertheless, the fate of the 26 Winkler Oswalds and the 140 Lantz Oswalds remains in question. As of this writing, Universal plans to include Lantz Oswald shorts in its upcoming Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection DVD box; that said, the chosen cartoons comprise just a handful, with more than 125 staying on the shelf. Meanwhile, the Winkler shorts seem to have slipped through the cracks entirely, with no release plans imminent at all.

Regardless of one release plan or another, one thing is certain: with a career spanning countless adventures, twists and turns, Oswald remains one of the most memorable and important characters in American animation history.
Old 04-12-07, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to everyone for the clarification.
Old 04-14-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been too long since I saw a Woody Woodpecker cartoon on TV. I can't wait to get this set!
Old 04-21-07, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More from Jerry Beck on Cartoon Brew:

"Universal Studios’ Woody Woodpecker & Friends Classic Cartoon Collection DVD is now available to pre-order on Amazon - where it’s a steal at $27.99.

In addition to the 75 restored, uncut cartoons, there will be several juicy bonus materials, including:

• Walter, Woody and the World of Animation a nice little 1975 documentary featuring Walter and his wife Gracie, discussing their careers in animation, filled with great clips.

• Cartoonland Mysteries - a rare 1936 Lowell Thomas “Going Places” short subject showing step by step how the Lantz studio makes an animated short - in this case an Oswald Rabbit cartoon, Soft Ball Game. Restored from the original neg.

• Behind-the-Scenes with Walter Lantz - six of the great Lantz segments from the 1957 Woody Woodpecker TV show explaining how they make cartoons - restored, in beautiful Technicolor.
1. The Origin of Woody Woodpecker (from Episode #1)
2. Drawing Woody and Andy (from Episode #5)
3. Creating the Stories (from Episode #6)
4. Animating Woody (from Episode #8)
5. The Development of Woody (from Episode #9)
6. Directing Animated Cartoons (from Episode #10)

• “The Woody Woodpecker Show” Special 1964 Halloween Episode, Spook-A-Nanny - rarely seen, now restored, featuring all the Lantz characters in a strange made-for-TV one shot. "
Old 04-30-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its cheaper on Amazon than it is on www.deepdiscountdvd.com, and that's amazing! I put my pre-order in with Amazon today - usually, with preorders, you get them before the scheduled street date!
Old 06-28-07, 12:23 PM

The official woody website is up and running and it is great. There is a lot of information about the DVDs and even some great videos.

http://www.woodywoodpecker.com/

This sounds really cool. I wish I could go. From the great Jerry Beck on Cartoon Brew:

"In honor of the forthcoming Woody Woodpecker and Friends DVD box set (on sale July 24th), Universal Pictures will be holding a premiere event at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood on Wednesday July 11th, admission FREE! In addition to a preview screening of 12 cartoons featured on the upcoming DVD, there will be a panel of guests discussing the life and career of Walter Lantz. Panelists will include Leonard Maltin, June Foray, and Billy West. To find out how you can get in and reserve a seat, click here: FStoryMakers Studio’s Salute to Woody Woodpecker and Walter Lantz .

My friends at StoryMakers Studio (who are producing the Chinese Theatre event) told me they will make a limited number of reserved seats available for Brew readers, so if you’re interested, I strongly suggest reserving your free tickets today because it’s going to fill up fast. "
Old 06-28-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the intel! I signed up!
Old 06-28-07, 06:28 PM

Sounds like a great set..can't wait!
Old 07-23-07, 09:52 PM

Any reviews of this one yet?
Old 07-24-07, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a review up at goldenagecartoons.com
Old 08-03-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am shocked that I am not really enjoying this.

A few years ago, I bought a Woody DVD from Columbia House, and thoroughly enjoyed it - it had Convict Concerto, where Woody is trapped in a piano; the one where Woody is a barber; and the one where he loses his dime down the drain in Wally Walrus's boarding house, just to give you an idea which DVD I had.

I loved it, and figured this new collection would be kick-ass. But I find Woody cartoons to be awful redundant, and the endings are nothing special. Anybody else find themselves in the same position? Outgrown Woody Woodpecker?
Old 08-04-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How can you outgrow classic animation?
Old 08-04-07, 01:46 PM

I think it is a case where some people are use to watching the newer old Woody Woodpecker cartoons as opposed to the older old ones. The review on this site though on this site is way too harsh.

I really enjoyed this series and the extras and I hope more are to come with more Chilly Willy shorts.

After watching the Halloween special on the last disc which was excellent, I think it also helps the show when it is watched in syndicated show format because instead of getting three Woody Woodpecker cartoons, you get a Woody Woodpecker and then an Andy Panda or a Woody Woodpecker and a Chilly Willy.

Last edited by PaulNJ21; 08-04-07 at 03:02 PM.