Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

YABRT: Blade Runner Set on the Horizon...finally?!?!?!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the recent issue of Los Angeles Magazine and didn't realize until I stumbled upon the rather lengthy article about BLADE RUNNER that there was even a rather lengthy article about Blade Runner (I didn't read the cover of the magazine, I just dove right in.) Here is the cover of the magazine:

Anyway, the article is called "Blade Runner: 25 Years Later an Oral History."

I read it last night, and it did not add much about Blade Runner that I did not already know...however, it says that "This summer will see a definitive 25th-Anniversary multidisc release of the film from Warner Bros. Misunderstood on its release yet ahead of its time, Blade Runner today stands alongside Sunset Boulevard and Chinatown as one of the great films set in Los Angeles."

I looked up this "set" on Amazon today and no mention of it. Did a forum search and there is a 7 page thread that ended in May 2006. So, any NEW news that any of you may just have forgotten to put on the forums?

On a side note, I have loved this film since I saw it in the theaters back in 1982. I saw it at a Midnight Double Feature, and this movie followed the 1982 version of Star Trek. I hated Star Trek, had trouble staying awake. at around 2:30 am or whatever, there was a 15 minute intermission, and I woke up. I was really there for Blade Runner. I regrouped, and suprisingly made it through the entire showing of Blade Runner. LOVED IT! Saw it again probably 3 or 4 times. I was 12 years old in 1982, and this quickly became one of my favorite films of all time.

I am very interested, as I realize many of us are, for a "definitive" Blade Runner set. I've quit buying DVDs for about 2 years now, and hardly come in this forum because of it. But I will buy this.

On another side note, this article reinforces how much the main players in creating this movie hated the narrative. Because that is what I saw in the theater, I have always liked it. I don't necessarily like it more than the Director's version, but it is what I remember seeing and hearing as a child, and it was a part of the film I loved. I'd like a legitimate DVD from the studio that had this version, as well as the other, remastered the way this great movie should be.

So, anyone have any other news other than this bone that was thrown in Los Angeles Magazine?
Old 01-29-07, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hmmm, somehow a magazine with Helen Mirren attempting to bare her breasts would make me wanna put the magazine down, but good news is good news...

btw, HDNet Movies is re-airing 'Blade Runner' in HiDef (obviousily) in March.
Old 01-29-07, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, the multiple disc release has been discussed in the thread that had it's last post on 1/17/07.

I am anxiously waiting for it as well.
Old 01-29-07, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Yep, the multiple disc release has been discussed in the thread that had it's last post on 1/17/07.

I don't think I found that thread...I found one that was 7 pages but I think the last post was May 06...I'll double check, but if you don't mind, give us the link...

Edit to add:

Yeah, this is the thead I found...didn't find a newer one...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....t=blade+runner
Old 01-29-07, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is a little longer. It doesn't have concrete details about the multiple disc set yet though.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....t=Blade+Runner

Edit: Just reread my first post. My intent was not to post a "Already being discussed here" post. I was trying to help you get some more info on it.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 01-29-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
What the heck does "YABRT" mean?
Old 01-29-07, 03:31 PM
Banned

yet another blade runner thread
Old 01-30-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I'd like a legitimate DVD from the studio that had this version, as well as the other, remastered the way this great movie should be.
I was under the impression that the definitive set was planning to include the original theatrical, the 10th Anniversary false "Director's cut", and the final director's cut, along with a disc of extras, all assumed to be remastered.
Old 01-30-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
yet another blade runner thread
Acronyms suck. We speak English here.
Old 01-30-07, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Acronyms suck. We speak English here.
ROTF LMFAO!!!

Old 01-30-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I was under the impression that the definitive set was planning to include the original theatrical, the 10th Anniversary false "Director's cut", and the final director's cut, along with a disc of extras, all assumed to be remastered.
The set might include the international unrated cut instead of the "theatrical cut." It's almost exactly the same, except it includes a few brief bits that were removed to secure an "R" rating. The set should include one of the two.
Old 01-31-07, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The set might include the international unrated cut instead of the "theatrical cut." It's almost exactly the same, except it includes a few brief bits that were removed to secure an "R" rating. The set should include one of the two.
Those bits couldn't be found or else they would've been in the Director's Cut. From what I remember hearing, they were found now. They'll be in the "final cut" to be sure.
Old 01-31-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those bits couldn't be found or else they would've been in the Director's Cut. From what I remember hearing, they were found now.
It's a little more complicated than that. All VHS and laserdisc editions of the theatrical cut were the international version of the movie, so it's not like that footage was lost. The problem was that when compiling the "Director's Cut" there were two simultaneous restoration projects started, one that used the US theatrical cut as the base and another that used the international cut. The version using the US cut could be completed faster and for less money, so the studio fast-tracked that one and shut down the other one. Scott always wanted the extra bits from the international cut, but made a compromise so long as he could get the big changes he wanted (no voiceover, no happy ending, added unicorn scene).
Old 01-31-07, 09:20 AM
Banned

It's a little more complicated than that. All VHS and laserdisc editions of the theatrical cut were the international version of the movie, so it's not like that footage was lost. The problem was that when compiling the "Director's Cut" there were two simultaneous restoration projects started, one that used the US theatrical cut as the base and another that used the international cut. The version using the US cut could be completed faster and for less money, so the studio fast-tracked that one and shut down the other one. Scott always wanted the extra bits from the international cut, but made a compromise so long as he could get the big changes he wanted (no voiceover, no happy ending, added unicorn scene).
really? are you sure? I thought I had read that the international cut negative couldn't be found in time.
Old 01-31-07, 10:28 PM

I saw it at a Midnight Double Feature, and this movie followed the 1982 version of Star Trek. I hated Star Trek, had trouble staying awake. at around 2:30 am or whatever, there was a 15 minute intermission, and I woke up. I was really there for Blade Runner. I regrouped, and suprisingly made it through the entire showing of Blade Runner. LOVED IT! Saw it again probably 3 or 4 times. I was 12 years old in 1982,
I'm still wondering why a 12 year old was at a midnight double feature!
Old 02-01-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is Ian McKellen wearing a bra in that pictures?
Old 02-01-07, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
1982 version of Star Trek
Huh?
Old 02-01-07, 07:26 AM

As long as the set includes the talkover version ill be happy, thats the one i want to see again.
Old 02-01-07, 08:38 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Huh?
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
Old 02-01-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hellen Mirren looks incredible for her age.
Old 02-01-07, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Huh?
Actually, it was the 1979 version of Star Trek. I always thought it was released in 1982 because it was at the double feature with Blade Runner, when Blade Runner was released. I just looked it up on wiki and realized it was released 3 years earlier than Blade Runner. Anyway, I hated Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Slept through most of it once I realized it was the suck.

And as for a 12 year old at the midnight movie: Mom picked us up and dropped us off (me and two friends). We lived in a small town and it was very safe.

I got to see a lot of cool movies at the theater as a kid...Superman, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Road Warrior...and remember going to see them all.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 02-01-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

really? are you sure? I thought I had read that the international cut negative couldn't be found in time.
It's been a while since I've read "Future Noir", but that's my recollection of the order of events.
Old 02-01-07, 10:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Waited this long, what's another few more years (f they don't release it this year).
Old 02-01-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
All VHS and laserdisc editions of the theatrical cut were the international version of the movie, so it's not like that footage was lost.
I have to beg to differ on this statement. The laserdisc editions were the International Cut, but the VHS editions were the Theatrical cut. I am the self proclaimed biggest fan in the world of this movie and have in my possession copies of every cut so far released with the exception of the Ultimate cut that will be being released with the DVD pack later this year. The theatrical cut differed from the Internationcal cut by showing the lightning strike during the cityscape shot at the beginning of the movie, Batty really pushing Tyrells eyes into his skull with lots of blood, Deckard shoots and extra time when he kills Pris, a longer shot of the nail going through Battys hand and it also includes the happy ending. I love this version and the theatrical version. I really hope that they release a version of the film with the voice over.

Judging by what i have read and seen when Ridley Scott has been interviewed he has been working on the DVD set for a number of years now, so i am positive that all the cut footage will be restored onto the DVD later this year.
Old 02-01-07, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have to beg to differ on this statement. The laserdisc editions were the International Cut, but the VHS editions were the Theatrical cut. I am the self proclaimed biggest fan in the world of this movie and have in my possession copies of every cut so far released with the exception of the Ultimate cut that will be being released with the DVD pack later this year. The theatrical cut differed from the Internationcal cut by showing the lightning strike during the cityscape shot at the beginning of the movie, Batty really pushing Tyrells eyes into his skull with lots of blood, Deckard shoots and extra time when he kills Pris, a longer shot of the nail going through Battys hand and it also includes the happy ending. I love this version and the theatrical version. I really hope that they release a version of the film with the voice over.

Judging by what i have read and seen when Ridley Scott has been interviewed he has been working on the DVD set for a number of years now, so i am positive that all the cut footage will be restored onto the DVD later this year.
Uhhh...wrong. I bought it twice in VHS. It was always the international cut.

I think only the very first VHS release was the theatrical cut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.