Brady Bunch Complete Series 3/27/07

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Brady Bunch Complete Series 3/27/07

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it wasn't for the faithfulness of the fans buying the individual seasons as they were released, there wouldn't even BE this complete series with a special bonus disk. If sales for the individual seasons were poor, they wouldn't waste more time on this special packageing.

It was us fans who made the sales so successful, and now they want to PUNISH us by putting in a special bonus disk ONLY if you buy the COMPLETE SERIES. I already spect over $100.00 on teh complete series, and in order for me to get the bonus disk, I have to spend ANOTHER $100.00?

This is NOT a fair way to treat the fans who helped them get to where they are. I think I'll rent the bonus disk from NetFlix and BURN it.
Old 02-26-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold my old ones together as a set for around $100 to get this one.
Old 02-26-07, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by OneWayFilms
If it wasn't for the faithfulness of the fans buying the individual seasons as they were released, there wouldn't even BE this complete series with a special bonus disk. If sales for the individual seasons were poor, they wouldn't waste more time on this special packageing.

It was us fans who made the sales so successful, and now they want to PUNISH us by putting in a special bonus disk ONLY if you buy the COMPLETE SERIES. I already spect over $100.00 on teh complete series, and in order for me to get the bonus disk, I have to spend ANOTHER $100.00?

This is NOT a fair way to treat the fans who helped them get to where they are. I think I'll rent the bonus disk from NetFlix and BURN it.

This is a valid argument. But you have to admit that anyone who is STILL buying a single season of ANY tv show is kind of a dummy.

I got tricked with the Twilight Zone. It will never happen again.
Old 02-26-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want the set...sell your individual sets on ebay and you will most likely be able to pick up the complete series with nothing more out of pocket. I have the first five seasons of Andy Griffith up for sale on ebay with the complete series being released in May. I never got around to picking up the last three seasons so I see this as my time to complete my set....and with extra material at that and neat packaging. Same goes for Brady Bunch. I originally only purchased the first two seasons then sold them in anticipation of this special release. I guess it just depends on how patient you can be in waiting for the sets to be released. I chose not to wait on Andy Griffith and picked up the first five seasons as they were released.
Old 02-26-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True. Unfortunately, this seems to be happening more often these days - that's why I no longer buy single season TV sets anymore.
Old 02-26-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry, i would rather buy single season sets as they become available as opposed to waiting 3 years hoping for some stupid bonus disc that may become available. ill take the enjoyment now, besides, you could always die tomorrow.
Old 02-26-07, 02:35 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by scarredgod
sorry, i would rather buy single season sets as they become available as opposed to waiting 3 years hoping for some stupid bonus disc that may become available. ill take the enjoyment now, besides, you could always die tomorrow.
Agreed. Complete series sets are the exception, not the rule, and among them, "special bonus material" is also the exception, not the rule. The only complete series I've purchased so far is Knight Rider, and since they barely squeezed that one out of their ass for the fans to enjoy, I don't see Universal bothering with a boxed set, and even if they do, it's hard to imagine it containing anything the season sets didn't, since they apparently ran out of bonus material after Season 1. I'm a bit more worried about Seinfeld, but I've been waiting on those, so three of the ones I don't already have are dirt cheap now, and by the time I buy Season 7, it'll probably drop in price, too.

I agree it's a concern, and not every studio will follow Fox's lead and release bonus discs separately, but to just not buy any individual season sets is a bit extreme, especially since there's no guarantee they'll even finish releasing all the seasons.

On a semi-related note, there is a used Season 1-6 set of The West Wing at my local fye, and I kind of feel sorry for whoever snapped that thing up when it was first released, especially now that the superior complete series set is out.
Old 02-27-07, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
I should have been clearer.

I could care less about bonus features. The complete series boxes run anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper for the same content, while taking up a lot less shelf space.

People around here flip out at spending $2 more than they have to, so lets not pretend it's not worth waiting for.
Old 02-27-07, 02:56 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
I should have been clearer.

I could care less about bonus features. The complete series boxes run anywhere from $150 to $300 cheaper for the same content, while taking up a lot less shelf space.

People around here flip out at spending $2 more than they have to, so lets not pretend it's not worth waiting for.
Sure, but to me it's a win-win, because I'm more likely to have $50 when each season set is released than $200 when the big log gets dropped, and I'd also rather be able to enjoy the season sets instead of waiting for a complete series set that may never come. I'll admit that you can often rent the season sets as they come out, but not always.

I actually haven't bought any M*A*S*H DVDs except Volume 1 of the Columbia House collection, nor any Brady Bunch DVDs except the recent "Premiere Episodes" sampler disc, but even though I don't have much of an investment that'll go to waste, I really wouldn't want every single episode of either series. I was pretty excited about the "Greatest American Hero" tin, and happy that I hadn't already bought any of the individual sets, but given the non-authentic cape and "Happy Meal"-style instruction manual toy, I'll still probably opt for individual seasons instead of the tin, mostly because I'm just not a fan of tins.
Old 02-27-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like something I could roll up and smoke!
Old 03-27-07, 10:37 AM

Deleted

Last edited by Manzana; 04-05-07 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-27-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, DVDEmpire has it for 4/3 as well.
Old 03-28-07, 10:29 AM

Deleted

Last edited by Manzana; 04-05-07 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok folks, so I got to take a real look at one of these baby's a few days early, and wanted to give you a bit more information on it. Especially a potential problem with the set (more below**) Wish I had a digital camera to take pics of it, to better show what I'm describing, but unfortunately, I did not.

- The set comes in a clear plastic over case, to protect the "Shag Carpet" outer layer. There's also a small hole in the plastic to allow you to feel the carpeting.

- The "Shag Carpet" isn't so much carpet, meaning it's not thick and ropey as it appears in the pictures. It's more fine and soft, almost like an angora sweater.

- The set is kind of like a big fake book, that's empty inside, but where you could house other stuff. When you open it, there's an pocket on the left which houses a booklet with all the episode descriptions. On the right, is the bigger pocket, which holds the discs. They come in a multi-colored paisley flower shaped file folder type of apparatus, which is not much bigger than the discs. It is then held in place in the pocket by another piece of plastic, which is supposed to better protect the discs. **Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job that well, and doesn't prevent the discs from slipping out of the flower holder, which they do quite easily. This of course leads to what could be the big disappointment of this set - some scratched discs. Such was the case with the set that I examined. While most of the discs were ok, there were a few that had gotten loose and scratched, including the bonus disc - one of the main selling points of this set.

I don't know if Paramount will address this issue, as this may not be the case with all the sets. I just wanted to make any of you out there who may be buying this set aware, in case it does become a bigger problem. Just be prepared that you may have to return/exchange it for another copy.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-31-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This of course leads to what could be the big disappointment of this set - some scratched discs. Such was the case with the set that I examined. While most of the discs were ok, there were a few that had gotten loose and scratched, including the bonus disc - one of the main selling points of this set.
Ugh....That sucks.
Old 04-03-07, 11:25 AM

I just got the set from Target and was a little disapointed in the cheap packaging, but I really can't complain since I never picked up any of the season sets so getting all 5 for $90 is a good deal. I wish they would've put them in Family Guy style slim cases (2 DVDS per case), but oh well.
Old 04-03-07, 11:28 AM
Banned

FYI my local Target has a grand total of 2 Brady Bunch sets this morning. They will be gone today no doubt....
Old 04-03-07, 11:37 AM

When I was there a little after 10 this morning, they had maybe 2 or 3 so I quickly grabbed it. I wasn't going to get it today, but I was already there getting other stuff and for less than $20 a season, why not.
Old 04-04-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thinking of just buying the regular seasons back seperate, since they can be had for around $20 now and forgetting about the bonus disc which I wanted also. I'd rather not have the headache of getting a box set with a bunch of scratched discs.
Old 04-04-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
FYI my local Target has a grand total of 2 Brady Bunch sets this morning. They will be gone today no doubt....

Same thing here at my local target. The last one went to me and best buy didn't even bother carrying it.
Old 04-05-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
Yeah, really, matome. WHy couldn't the studios recerse their releasing strategy and come out first with a complete set and then (or at the same time) sell each season separately.
Because, if they did that, the complete series would easily be twice as expensive as it is when they release it at the end of the cycle; they do it for shows which are already profitable, so all they have to do is create new packaging, maybe a bonus disc, and possibly burn some new discs (that depends on how many of the old ones are left). If a show is profitable enough to get a full series release, that release is pretty much all sauce for the studios. The whole point is that it's discounted because the individual sets have been out long enough to warrant the discount.

I have a question -- all the people who complain when a full series set has a bonus disc, how many of you have actually contacted the distributors to complain? I feel like the studios would be willing to sell the bonus discs somehow -- certainly not in stores, as that would be silly, but on-line or something -- because there are always a large percentage of people who want the bonus disc but aren't going to pay $100+ for a full set they already have in order to get it. But they'd only do that if there was a demand. But I don't know, maybe some Buffy fan has already started a letter-writing campaign about this.
Old 04-05-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djones6746
If you want the set...sell your individual sets on ebay and you will most likely be able to pick up the complete series with nothing more out of pocket. I have the first five seasons of Andy Griffith up for sale on ebay with the complete series being released in May. I never got around to picking up the last three seasons so I see this as my time to complete my set....and with extra material at that and neat packaging. Same goes for Brady Bunch. I originally only purchased the first two seasons then sold them in anticipation of this special release. I guess it just depends on how patient you can be in waiting for the sets to be released. I chose not to wait on Andy Griffith and picked up the first five seasons as they were released.

Hey, waitaminnut, what's this about a series release for Andy Griffith with bonus features? I held off on buying separate seasons of the show because I was hoping for a better series release, but after reading in threads here that there would probably be no release with ANY extras, commentaries, etc., I went ahead and got the 1st-6th seasons packaged together for $120 from Deep Discount last year (I didn't really care to get the post Barney Fife era that much). Now you're telling me that I shoulda waited one more year? I need to nip this non-waiting-for-the-series-box-set behavior of mine in the bud.
Old 04-05-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6905
Old 09-13-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the chances of A Very Brady Christmas being released seperately? Didn't really want to double-dip since I have all the single season sets, but I will if I have to, cuz I really want that.
Old 09-13-07, 03:41 PM

^I'll second that. I want Return to Mayberry too. I don't see myself double dipping on these sets so hopefully they will get these out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.