Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-15-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do, now.

In the past, if I really wanted the film, I'd buy it even if it was in the horrible snap-case. But in those days, I didn't have a lot of DVD's, so it didn't matter. But since then my collection has grown quite a bit, and I'm starting to hate the inconsistant arrangement due to how far snap-cases stick out of the shelf. It looks sloppy if I try to arrange my movies based on a theme, so I have to keep the snap-case DVD's on a separate shelf.

So now, if a film is in a snap-case, I wait to buy until a SE comes out.

How about you?
Old 12-15-06, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I do, now.

In the past, if I really wanted the film, I'd buy it even if it was in the horrible snap-case. But in those days, I didn't have a lot of DVD's, so it didn't matter. But since then my collection has grown quite a bit, and I'm starting to hate the inconsistant arrangement due to how far snap-cases stick out of the shelf. It looks sloppy if I try to arrange my movies based on a theme, so I have to keep the snap-case DVD's on a separate shelf.

How about you?
I do the same thing. I freakin hate snappers.
Old 12-15-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really dislike snapcases and I'll double dip just to replace them. Luckily I don't have too many left.
Old 12-15-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I prefer all my movies to come in a brown paper bag, so I debate buying any that don't come that way.
Old 12-15-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think they even make snappers anymore so this isn't much of a debate, for me at least.
Old 12-15-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless something is announced, I'll buy the best version available. I don't like to wait because it could be a LONG wait.

That said, the last snapper I bought was a year ago: Best in Show.
Old 12-15-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. It looks so damn cheap!

Now that being said if I'm trying to decide between two DVDs and one comes in a snapper and the other comes in a handsome case I'll buy the DVD with the better case, but if it's a DVD I really want I'll suck it up and buy it anyway.
Old 12-15-06, 09:44 PM
Banned

I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.
Old 12-15-06, 09:54 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.
I agree 100%. That said, I always try to make sure the movie's really not available in any other packaging before plunking down money for a snapper. In the past, I've avoided the following snappers, and am very happy I did:

Looney Tunes: Back In Action (Hollywood Video pre-viewed)
You've Got Mail ("Asian import")
Lethal Weapon 2 ("Asian import")
Two Weeks Notice (Hollywood Video pre-viewed)
Scooby-Doo meets BATMAN (miniDVD)

...plus of course all the ones where the studio (mostly New Line) finally decided to re-release titles in keepcases.

Unfortunately, my affinity for original key art has meant that a few snappers are destined to stay with me for quite a while, like the BATMAN movies, because I don't really like not having the logo artwork on the new covers. Other titles I'm anxiously awaiting SEs or keepcase versions of, but in the meantime I just store them separately from my other DVDs, which is a practice that did come out of how annoying it was to have them among keepcases. It's possible that I'll just scan my remaining snappers and create custom covers eventually, but for now I think Disc Sox will be my "snapper solution".

Last edited by Mike Adams; 12-16-06 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I try not to buy snappers because of two reasons:

One is my OCD and hating how it looks with all of my other DVDs

The second is that I am worried of it breaking and damaging the DVD it holds
Old 12-15-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gotrice487
The second is that I am worried of it breaking and damaging the DVD it holds
Not to mention the case of the DVD directly to the right of the snapper case considering snappers have that large plastic clip jutting out.
Old 12-15-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll buy snappers if I find them in the discount bin at Wal-Mart. Otherwise they look so cheap that I can't bear to spend money on them.
Old 12-15-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nth Power
I really dislike snapcases and I'll double dip just to replace them. Luckily I don't have too many left.
I'm the same way, but there are still a number of titles which have yet to be re-released in a keep case.

Here's a good resource for researching snapper-keep case:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=424985

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 12-15-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's the only version available, then yes. But I have already rebought all of my snappers that came out in a keep case, and plan to do so once Warner gets on the ball like New Line did.
Old 12-15-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can not imagine passing up a movie I want because of the packaging. Once the disc is in my DVD player, it makes no difference how it was packaged.
Old 12-15-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I never did, and although they may not make them anymore, there are still plenty of them out there. Warner has, for the most part, not been reissuing titles in keep cases, except when a title gets into a boxed set (North By Northwest). Some titles have received new special editions, but there really aren't that many of those either.

I have a question: those snapper titles still on the shelves, are they all old stock, or are they still actually producing them for those particular titles?
Old 12-15-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't used to care, but now I hate snappers as opposed to keepcases. I've replaced as many as I can - especially a lot of New Line titles - whenever a keepcase becomes availble.

The only way I'll buy one now, is if I really want the movie, and if I'm paying $5 or less for it.
Old 12-15-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be sooo picky, and wouldn't buy it, and then I realized I was missing movies in my collection that I really wanted because of it, so I just went out and bought them.
Old 12-15-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.
Old 12-15-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.
Agreed. If you really want the movie, the case shouldn't be a concern.
Old 12-15-06, 11:58 PM

I'm quite OK with them. In my experience, one plus with snappers is that they never give me any problems with sticker residue, unlike their keepcase counterparts.
Old 12-16-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I won't pay full price for a Snapper release for some reason, but if I fish a movie out of the 'dump-bin' or something like that, I buy the DVd for the movie - not the case...
Old 12-16-06, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I wish Warner Bros. did that. I just got the SE of Christmas Vacation in the mail last week and was surprised it was in a snapper case.
Old 12-16-06, 12:38 AM

I don't like snappers. Now that I know that several DVDs are being re-released in keepcases, I've held off on buying anything in a snap case. I keep hoping we'll get Being There in a keepcase since it's the main title I've held off on, waiting for another release.
Old 12-16-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have tons of snappers. With most of them, that was the only choice I had. I started buying in 2000, my fiancee a year or two before that. We have hundreds of discs between us so of course some of them are old New Line or Warner snappers. I even (foolishly) bought Bonnie & Clyde recently because it was on sale for only a few bucks. Should have known there was an S.E. in the works.

One that I've always been bummed about though is Oliver Stone's JFK. My dad got it for me off of Amazon a few years ago and immediately afterwards they put out a much nicer digipak type off case. The one I have has a second disc of extras in a sleeve, so annoying. Does anyone know if the discs are identical?

Related: That same Christmas my dad got me the non-S.E. of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest. I know that he just uses my Amazon wish list and I've always wondered if maybe they sent the wrong one by accident. Of course I was happy for the gift... but I know I am eventually going to replace it with the better version. Then I'll give him the old one. The good thing about this is that he never remembers that he gave them to me in the first place! He and I like a lot of the same movies, and a lot of them have been double or triple dipped by the studios. (12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski, Strangelove, Unforgiven, just to name a handful off the top of my head.)

Last edited by Five Cent Deposit; 12-16-06 at 04:42 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.