Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you debate buying a movie based on if its a Snap Case?

Old 12-16-06, 06:32 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 499
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont buy snappers anymore, and slowly replacing any I have
Old 12-16-06, 07:59 AM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: California
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.
^ Yup
Old 12-16-06, 08:40 AM
  #28  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate snappers, but I do not refuse to buy them just because they are snappers. You can buy empty Amaray cases. I buy them, scan the the snapper artwork on my PC, then replace it with the Amaray.
Old 12-16-06, 09:22 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in the land of humidity
Posts: 1,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm...I stopped buying snapper cases because the drawer I had been storing them ran out of room. I kept them stored separate from the rest, one because of how they look, and more importantly that they always seem to snag on to other DVDs.

I've thought about hunting down some custom jobs I think I've seen on here for whatever I could find....but just scanning the case, eh? Does that work out ok?
Old 12-16-06, 05:05 PM
  #30  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Cent Deposit
One that I've always been bummed about though is Oliver Stone's JFK. My dad got it for me off of Amazon a few years ago and immediately afterwards they put out a much nicer digipak type off case. The one I have has a second disc of extras in a sleeve, so annoying. Does anyone know if the discs are identical?
Not really. I believe all the bonus stuff from the snapper version was carried over to the Digipak, but there is at least one new featurette on the latest version.

Not that they're anywhere near as annoying as snappers, but we could start a whole new discussion on the annoyances of Digipaks. For example, am I the only one who hates it when they put a security device under a clear plastic tray in a Digipak, and you have to either see it every time you open the thing or pry it off, damaging the artwork underneath?
Old 12-16-06, 05:09 PM
  #31  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harpo787
I've thought about hunting down some custom jobs I think I've seen on here for whatever I could find....but just scanning the case, eh? Does that work out ok?
There's some scaling required, so it's best done with Photoshop or similar software. You can't just scan the thing and print it out unless you're okay with cutting up the artwork. As should be obvious, snappers are slightly larger than keepcases.
Old 12-16-06, 06:11 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,319
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't like them much, but it's not enough to get me to not buy a movie just to avoid them. I keep them all in a separate shelving unit since they don't fit in well with all my other DVDs (not that they are the only ones, there are lots of inconsistent sized cases).
Old 12-16-06, 06:20 PM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what I've been doing with my Snapper Cases:

I Take them apart from the plastic DVD tray and I'll color photocopy them, then cut out the paper copy to fit a standard keep-case. Or you could just try cutting the cardboard cover to fit a keep-case but it really damages the cover very much.

So far i've converted:

Frantic
Superman: The Movie
Bonfire Of The Vanities
Mosquito Coast
Exorcist III
Mars Attacks
Roger And Me
Old 12-16-06, 06:25 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,678
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
If you're buying or not buying a DVD because of the case it comes in, you've got a problem.
My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many people passed on Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie and the first pressing of This Island Earth because of the snapper case.

A snapper hub has broken on me once, and it was a bit of a chore to find a free replacement (whereas I get "free" keepcases in the mail at least once a month). Otherwise, I have never had a problem with them.
Old 12-16-06, 07:04 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 528
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate snappers, but it won't stop me.
Old 12-16-06, 07:16 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,498
Received 179 Likes on 119 Posts
Yeah I've been wanting to see The Outlaw Josey Wales for like 2 years now but everytime I almost get it I can't b/c of snapper
Old 12-16-06, 07:19 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,859
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Agreed. If you really want the movie, the case shouldn't be a concern.
same situation for me.
Old 12-17-06, 12:30 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.
I know that, sooner or later, the snapper case version will be updated - studios are always trying to get consumers to re-buy products they've already bought.

I'm still holding off on The Goodbye Girl because of this.
Old 12-17-06, 01:31 PM
  #39  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I know that, sooner or later, the snapper case version will be updated - studios are always trying to get consumers to re-buy products they've already bought.
Sorry, I disagree. Studios are always wanting to make money. If a title was originally released in a snapper and didn't sell well, they're not likely to try again with a new package. You may get lucky with The Goodbye Girl, but to sit and wait because you know a new version is coming is foolish. There's no guarantee of anything in the consumer market, especially with DVDs.

There are people who keep waiting for movies they know will someday be released on DVD, but those same people were probably waiting for a Laserdisc release that never happened either. When a movie has already been released on DVD once, the chances of a double-dip are very slim. The people who justify that argument by pointing to the greed of studios don't seem to understand that studios are so greedy that unless there's reason to believe a title is actually going to sell well, there will be no re-release. I know it seems like every film known to man is getting the SE treatment lately, but whether it's packaging, content, aspect ratio, commentaries, or whatever, there is absolutely no guarantee that anything will be released, and anyone who feels sure of something like that is kidding themselves.
Old 12-17-06, 01:35 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do, but if I really love the movie and there's not other versions I suck it up.

Or if it's really cheap.
Old 12-17-06, 01:42 PM
  #41  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 50 snappers and hate how they mess up my collection since I organize alphabetically. I kept them together on a separate shelf but really wanted them with the keepsake cases.

Had one of those keepsakes from AOL that I destickered and thought I'd try an experiment. I took a snapper and carefully took it apart. The glued cardboard I split apart with a long sharp kitchen knife. The cardboard cover was all unfolded now. Cut off and trimmed the inside insert to fit on the inside left side of the keepsake case. Now in one piece lay the insert. I trimmed it on both ends to match the size of a normal insert and then the top and bottom. Needless to say it was a perfect fit! Ordered a 100-pack of blank DVD cases and converted the rest. Now my entire collection is free of snappers and my rack no longer has a "snapper" section.

The only drawback is that snapper cardboard insert is longer on the ends of a normal insert. When the ends are trimmed off, some text on the back side will go with it since its so close to the edge. Not a big deal to me but I'd rather have that than those ugly snappers in my collection.
Old 12-17-06, 01:55 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I don't purchase DVDs for the type of case they're packaged in, I purchase DVDs for the movie, and it's contents on the disc(s). Basically, the consumer does not have a choice anyway, whether the DVD has been manufactured with a jewel, amaray, tin, or snapper case. It is optional to us consumers to buy DVDs if we want the title(s) (regardless of the case they're originally in) or we don't.
Old 12-17-06, 02:11 PM
  #43  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laseca
I have about 50 snappers and hate how they mess up my collection since I organize alphabetically. I kept them together on a separate shelf but really wanted them with the keepsake cases.
It's just keepcase, not keepsake. Sounds like an ornament from Hallmark.

Anyway, I agree with you, but it confounds me how many people complain that snappers "mess up" their collection, but then they describe in great detail how they've butchered the snappers to fit into a keepcase. Don't get me wrong, it's everybody's right to do this if they want, it just seems to fly in the face of the perfectionism that makes them do it in the first place.

Standard keepcases aren't really made to hold cardboard in the insert sleeve, so it's still gonna be weird compared to standard snappers, both visually and in how it feels. I just have a hard time reconciling the annoyance at cases that stick out too far on a shelf with the acceptance of covers that say things like "The Goodbye Gi" because you've trimmed them to fit a keepcase. That's an extreme example, but why bother keeping the case if you can no longer read the text on the back because the last two letters of each line are missing?

To each their own, it just seems funny to me.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 12-17-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 02:36 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,324
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Sorry, I disagree. Studios are always wanting to make money. If a title was originally released in a snapper and didn't sell well, they're not likely to try again with a new package. You may get lucky with The Goodbye Girl, but to sit and wait because you know a new version is coming is foolish. There's no guarantee of anything in the consumer market, especially with DVDs.
Agreed. While it seems like the studios are "always" double dipping, the amount of films double dipped is actually extremely low compared to the amount of films released. Waiting for a better version of anything, unless it's already been announced, is foolish.

Not all snappers are going to be replaced. Not all the films released in a snapper are worthy of a re-release. The popular ones will get keepcases on their next printing, but when you have bins filled with $5 "popular films" at places like Best Buy and WalMart, you don't know when or even if that next printing is going to happen. And, since apparently a lot of people aren't buying them since they're in a snapper, they'll never sell enough to warrant a re-release in a keepcase.

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Anyway, I agree with you, but it confounds me how many people complain that snappers "mess up" their collection, but then they describe in great detail how they've butchered the snappers to fit into a keepcase. Don't get me wrong, it's everybody's right to do this if they want, it just seems to fly in the face of the perfectionism that makes them do it in the first place.

Yeah, I've always found that kind of funny, too. I guess OCD effects people differently.
Old 12-17-06, 02:42 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,340
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I buy a dvd for the movie content. I dont care what kind of case it is in.
Old 12-17-06, 03:10 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They do look cheap and provide less protection, but I do like the increased artwork on the inside cover (especially since inserts are so sparse these days).
Old 12-17-06, 06:34 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like snappers, but I would never try to covert it by cutting it up. To me, cutting off text on the back cover of one of my DVDs is SO much worse than it sticking out a little further on the shelf. I keep my snappers together on my shelf, so it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 12-17-06, 11:12 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lincolnwood, Illinois
Posts: 1,504
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't judge a movie by its cover or packaging, it's what inside that counts.

Then again, snap cases are pretty annoying.
Old 12-18-06, 05:06 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,054
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've converted all of my snappers to thin cases. I either scan or download the image and then resize to thin case and print on the color laser at work. I used to use Staples because the quality was better but they cracked down with some copyright stuff. Even though I told them I own the movie and just wanted to change the case.
Old 12-18-06, 05:21 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,585
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grem458
I wish Warner Bros. did that. I just got the SE of Christmas Vacation in the mail last week and was surprised it was in a snapper case.
Me too, this happened with Dark City also, which I ordered recently and both show they are keep cases now on dvdcompare. Looks like I may have to track down the keepcases and exchange.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.