Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ever buy Full Screen because of price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Nope. The only fullscreen titles I have are either the only way they're released or I've made a mistake and grabbed FS instead of WS.
Old 12-07-06, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" Ever buy Full Screen because of price?"

Oh that's a BIG OL' "Hell, no!"
Old 12-07-06, 08:27 PM

because of price? no but many of the tv boxsets are fullscreen, because well it is a tv show and supposed to be be for tv sets, not movie theater
Old 12-07-06, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No!
Old 12-07-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
some others I won't mention because I don't want to start an argument about the director's intent
Stanley Kubrick???
Old 12-07-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did import a non-anamorphic version of Oshii's Avalon on purpose because it was color-timed correctly and had accurate subtitles, as neither of could describe the R1 version.
Old 12-07-06, 10:31 PM

One time my little cousin took a shit in his pants and said he'd sell me the steaming turd for $1.99. I mean, that's pretty nasty, but I couldn't resist. It was so cheap!
Old 12-08-06, 12:14 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, and now I regret it. Did it once with Spiderman. The Widescreen was 19.99 and the Full Screen was 14.99.. I went with full screen.
Old 12-08-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
wow, that's funny i didn't mention it. It is "Wedding Crashers" (Uncorked). i mean this isn't a movie that is enhanced by the dvd experience and going to ever be reference quality, so...

ps) i promise i will never ever do it again.
thats actually a 2:35 movie, and is heavily cropped full frame wise (I've seen bits and pieces on cinemax)
Old 12-08-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No price is so low as to make me buy foolscreen over ws. I'd do without. Much as I love movies like Grumpy Old Men, Private Benjamin, Arthur etc... I'll do without until they finally put 'em out in anamorphic ws.
Old 12-08-06, 01:47 AM

blasphemy!
Old 12-08-06, 02:35 AM

Doesn't wedding crashes have an option where you can choose wide or full screen before starting the film?
Old 12-08-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teca
Doesn't wedding crashes have an option where you can choose wide or full screen before starting the film?
nope, the only choice is if you want the R rated version or the unrated "Uncorked" version
Old 12-08-06, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by caiman
One time my little cousin took a shit in his pants and said he'd sell me the steaming turd for $1.99. I mean, that's pretty nasty, but I couldn't resist. It was so cheap!

That's the gist of it. Wouldn't matter if it were free, you're going to hell for watching P&S.
Old 12-08-06, 06:00 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Drexl]
BTW, why wasn't the widescreen version that cheap at Target? I assume they just didn't have it stock.

Actually, Target had different pricing for WS & FS. I went back on Saturday to get a few extra copies of some Harry Potter movies for gifts. The $3.98 displays were gone but found a few copies on the shelves. When we checked out, they rang up at regular price. When I challenged the price, I was informed that the sale price was on "Fullscreen copies only" (I put them back).

Lots of funny comments on this thread. I'll try to be serious, though, and say, "Yes, of course I've bought FS because of price". I used to be a WS only snob & wouldn't touch FS unless it was the only format available (MATEWAN, for example) or it was the OAR. Keep in mind that we have a collection numbering in the thousands including many Criterions, etc. However, I have bought quite a few FS DVDs during store sales & from pawn shops ($3 or less) under 1 or more of the following circumstances: (1) The movie was obviously not a keeper; (2) The movie wasn't very "visual" (romantic comedies have lots of talking heads...in the restaurant scenes, do I really need to see the director's second cousin sitting at the bar in the upper right of the screen?); (3) The movie had mixed reviews & we wanted to "preview" it before investing more in a WS copy. For instance, recently I paid $2 for a perfect FS copy of the much-reviled STEALTH movie. We were shocked to discover that we really enjoyed it...enough to pick up a WS copy later. I knew that I could trade/sell the FS copy for a profit, so it served as a good "screener". Last weekend I bought several FS copies of movies during a video store blowout because they were near-perfect while the widescreen copies were scratched all to pieces. Same deal...we could preview the content and then sell/trade/give away (we have friends & relatives who only watch FS).

By the same token, we watch movies on Cinemax, HBO, & other cable outlets enough though they usually air them in P & S or FS format. If we like it well enough, we'll invest in the WS DVD. Of course, if we know we want it or have already seen it, we'll always choose the WS. My point is that there are some circumstances under which even formerly diehard WS purists may be converted (at least to the point of watching FS). I mean, if you are on vacation & the motel has a pay channel airing a movie you haven't seen (resist the temptation to comment), are you really going to be so anal that you'll create a scene & say "NOOOOOOOO!!! We're not going to watch that!!! It's (gasp) FOOOOOOLLLLSCREEENNNN!!! Arrggggh!!").

And for real heresy, how about this: While FS (or P & S) butchers many older movies filmed in Cinemascope, etc., we have noticed that many recent movies are framed in such a way that the main difference in the majority of the WS scenes is that you see the back of an out-of-focus head to one side of the screen. It's obvious that the directors/editors framed the shots so that certain elements could be cropped without affecting the plot or the visuals in a major way. I'll be honest...I've been disappointed in some WS movies specifically because of this annoying habit...3/4 of the film having the closeups filmed with the actors off to one side and the other side of the screen filled with....filing cabinets, refrigerators, & other exciting generic visuals. It's one thing to see the side-by-side comparison of a movie such as THE GRADUATE & realize that the filmaker's creative vision has been extremely compromised (resulting in a severe loss for the audience) and another to see a movie in which 90% of the scenes feature a couple of people speaking to the each other (and not in a PILLOW TALK way, in which the P&S version cuts out the reaction shots of one party by eliminating 1/2 of the splitscreen phone conversation). Because many movies are shot with this in mind, many modern movies (IMHO) don't suffer inordinately from being viewed in the FS format. So we've stopped cheated ourselves out of some inexpensive, enjoyable entertainment simply because we insisted on FS format. That said, we won't watch Lord of the Rings, King Kong, or other modern epics in FS. It seems that even the Fullscreen Dark Side has its seductive limitations.
Old 12-08-06, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, Never, Nope.
Old 12-08-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OAR only.
Old 12-08-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only movie I have bought knowing that fullscreen was the only way it was released on DVD was Thomas and the Magic Railroad. My son loves it.After purchasing 837 DVD's, thomas is the only one. I still have guilt to this day. He watches everything else in widescreen. I prefer OAR.
Old 12-08-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No!
Old 12-08-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Nice to have you back Scott. I doubt I'm the only one who's missed the creativeness of your threads the past couple months.
Old 12-08-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Did you ever want to eat filet mignon but found that dog shit was free, so ate the dog shit?

NO. NEVER. EVER.
Old 12-08-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, never but, I'll give the OP props for having the balls to start a thread like this. Now put out your hand so we can all slap it with a ruler.
Old 12-08-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You'd have to pay me to buy a FS movie.
Old 12-08-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
Did you ever want to eat filet mignon but found that dog shit was free, so ate the dog shit?

NO. NEVER. EVER.
FUCK YOU shit head. You got nothing better to say, don't you piece of shit.
Old 12-08-06, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by roger_d
FUCK YOU shit head. You got nothing better to say, don't you piece of shit.
Ouch, touched a nerve.

A couple years ago, when Columbia House was getting rid of their Fox movies, I got the FS Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition because they had sold out of the WS version and it was only $4.99. At the time, that was a steal for that disc. It's the only FS disc I ever intentionally bought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.