Reload this Page >

Blue Underground for February

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blue Underground for February

Old 01-02-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I am not familiar with this company. Do they have a website? Do they sell their dvds at the normal places? I'd like to get this dvd and am not sure if I will find it in my normal surfing.

http://www.severin-films.com/

Old 01-02-07, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with this company. Do they have a website? Do they sell their dvds at the normal places? I'd like to get this dvd and am not sure if I will find it in my normal surfing.

It is less than $20 at Cd Universe.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7348775
Old 01-06-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the links!
Old 01-07-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Apparently it's just a limited re-release of the old Anchor Bay stuff. Nothing new. No new transfers.

Originally Posted by Sunday Morning
From the sales sheet I got from ryko distribution:

INFERNO - 1.85:1/16:9
extras include:
interview with writer/director argento
theatrical trailer
still gallery
talent bios

DEEP RED - 2.35:1/16:9
5.1 english & italian
extras:
25th anniversay featurette
italian theatrical trailer
us theatrical trailer
talent bios

SHOCK - 1.85:1/16:9
mono (english, italian & french)
extras:
interview with writer/asst. director lamberto bava
italian trailer
us beyond the door II tv spots
talent bios

CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD - 1.85:1/16:9
extras:
theatrical trailer
stil gallery/radio spots
lucio fulci bios

DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING - 2.35:1/16:9
mono
extras:
lucio fulci bio

AUTOPSY - 1.85:1/16:9
mono (english & italian)
extras:
international "the victim" trailer
us theatrical trailer

ONLY 14.95 EACH
AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY
seems that they are all anamorphic this time out.

also on 3/27

A Bullet for the General
Texas, Adios
Keoma

Last edited by Cameron; 01-07-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
seems that they are all anamorphic this time out.
they were all anamorphic the first time out.

none of those were any of the non-anamorphic Anchor Bay titles.
Old 01-11-07, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

I don't know where this news came from, I've not heard anything about it prior to this, but I was browsing DVDaf discs by director, and it appears Fulci's got two more releases lined up from Blue Underground. Apparently 'The Black Cat' and 'House by the Cemetery' are both to get re-released from them on April 24. This brings up the question of what else are they going to be (re-)releasing that day? Of course, Blue Underground says nothing about it on its website (if only they'd freakin' update, not only would it clarify so much confusion/speculation, but like someone else said, it would help them promote themselves and they'd probably get better sales; they wouldn't even need to hire a webmaster or anything, just update the freakin' thing).

Also something to take note of, and again information I gained from DVDaf, Dario Argento's The Cat O' Nine Tails is out of print from Anchor Bay.
Old 01-12-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need Deep Red. Don't own that one yet.
Old 01-12-07, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why everyone's taking for granted that these are identical to the AB releases; there's no mention of that on any official press release or anything AFAIK, and it doesn't seem to me consistent with Blue-Underground. And yeah, their website is disgusting. I think they've been updating it about 3 times a year.
Old 01-12-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by natevines
I don't know why everyone's taking for granted that these are identical to the AB releases; there's no mention of that on any official press release or anything AFAIK, and it doesn't seem to me consistent with Blue-Underground. And yeah, their website is disgusting. I think they've been updating it about 3 times a year.
i don't think thats a big deal since all of those anchor bay disc are OOP. For all the people that didn't get them first go round, its nice to have. Anyone duped into an upgrade, didn't do their homework.
Old 01-17-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
I don't know why everyone's taking for granted that these are identical to the AB releases
well for one, the list of specs and special features are identical to the Anchor Bay releases. also, all these titles are titles that AB released anamorphically (they don't seem to yet be touching any of the earlier nonanamorphic titles).

All that happened with these titles is that Anchor Bay's rights to them have run out. I would be VERY surprised if these were not exact copies of the Anchor Bay dvds that will now just say Blue Underground on them.
Old 01-22-07, 08:55 PM

So, is Vigilante just a re-release too?

It seems to have all the specs of the AB release.

Seems kind of sad if Maniac and Vigilante just end up being re-releases. I mean they are Lustig's own movies.

Though there really isn't anything more they could do with Maniac. AB's disc was one of the best ever.

Last edited by Reddye5; 01-22-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddye5
So, is Vigilante just a re-release too?

It seems to have all the specs of the AB release.

Seems kind of sad if Maniac and Vigilante just end up being re-releases. I mean they are Lustig's own movies.

Though there really isn't anything more they could do with Maniac. AB's disc was one of the best ever.
I believe Lustig was still with Anchor Bay when those came out, so he's probably done all he could with them.
Old 03-04-07, 04:18 PM
Banned

well for one, the list of specs and special features are identical to the Anchor Bay releases. also, all these titles are titles that AB released anamorphically (they don't seem to yet be touching any of the earlier nonanamorphic titles).

All that happened with these titles is that Anchor Bay's rights to them have run out. I would be VERY surprised if these were not exact copies of the Anchor Bay dvds that will now just say Blue Underground on them.
At least we got a very nice cover for Deep Red (they still shoulda changed the font on the title though...):

Old 03-04-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Any word on more spaghetti westerns that are heading over to BU?
Old 03-06-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cracksky
At least we got a very nice cover for Deep Red (they still shoulda changed the font on the title though...):

thanks for posting the cover. I have not seen any of the new covers yet. personally I think that is a TERRIBLE cover. glad I have the Anchor Bay one.
Old 03-06-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

personally I think that is a TERRIBLE cover.
It's a shit cover...indeed. An 8 year old could have made a better choice. Although below is not a good pic of it...I have always been sweet on the "reflection in blood" artwork.

I have 3 variations of this via 3 different italian posters, all which hang proudly in my master bedroom. Wife has now become used to it.
Old 03-07-07, 03:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
It's a shit cover...indeed. An 8 year old could have made a better choice. Although below is not a good pic of it...I have always been sweet on the "reflection in blood" artwork.

I have 3 variations of this via 3 different italian posters, all which hang proudly in my master bedroom. Wife has now become used to it.
the image doesn't display for me...

the one poster, that my high school friends either loved or just thought I was one sick puppy was the one-sheet of 'Near Dark' with a charred Bill Paxton hanging in my bedroom.
Old 03-10-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
It's a shit cover...indeed. An 8 year old could have made a better choice.
I don't even recognize that exact shot from the movie, which makes me wonder why anyone would create such a fake-looking cover. But even if it is a direct shot from the film, why use a shot for the cover in which it is clear that a dummy is being used? It defies logic. I really doubt that cover will entice anyone not already familiar with the film or Argento.

I guess I'm just pissed about it because Deep Red is my favorite Argento film and I feel it deserves to be much better represented than that. Fuck you Blue Underground.
Old 03-10-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just checked all the other BU re-released titles, and with the exceptions of Vigilante and Deep Red, they all used the same cover art that Anchor Bay used. Why did they feel the need to mess up the DR cover so badly?
Old 03-17-07, 10:02 AM

I just checked all the other BU re-released titles, and with the exceptions of Vigilante and Deep Red, they all used the same cover art that Anchor Bay used. Why did they feel the need to mess up the DR cover so badly?
I'm pretty sure because the AB disc of Deep Red is still in print, for whatever reason. Unlike all the others in this series of tltles that BU has reissued, which have been listed as out of print for months, and in some cases well over a year, AB's Deep Red dvd is still available new from sites like Amazon, Dvdplanet, CDUniverse, and other such cd/dvd retail sites--along with the BU disc. The BU disc averages $3-4 less than AB's. Contrast that to Inferno, Don't Torture a Duckling, etc, etc. in which only the BU version is available. So for whatever reason--be it AB still has the rights to distribute it up to a point in the near future, or BU has somehow 'simultaneously' gained dvd rights--there's a definite 'overlap' going on regarding distribution rights. And thus I think the changed BU cover involves AB having exclsusive rights to that cover design. Go to some of those sites and you'll see what I mean.

Check out what I mean:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/0...9&Go.y=7&Go=Go

http://digitaleyes.resultspage.com/s...tom&w=deep+red

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as...&altsearch=yes

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0-Title&ks=960

Last edited by Alkaline; 03-17-07 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm, that is interesting. I didn't realize the AB disc was still in print: http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=1554

still, I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would look at that BU cover and think it's better than the AB one. If you are going to change the cover, at least TRY to make it better.
Old 03-19-07, 06:39 PM

hmm, that is interesting. I didn't realize the AB disc was still in print: http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=1554

still, I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would look at that BU cover and think it's better than the AB one. If you are going to change the cover, at least TRY to make it better.
I concur. Though, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of anchor bay's either--which to me sort of gives off the vague notion to the unfamiliar that this is some sort of zombie/reanimated corpse cheesefest. Still, I consider it the lesser of two evils.
Old 03-19-07, 06:52 PM

Btw, a completely useless piece of trivia: For those who own AB's disc, does yours list AB's website on the back? First generation copies didn't include it, had the 'deep red' title in slightly darker maroon, and featured a slightly different amaray case. On the side where it snaps together, there is an extra 'slot' in the middle to place your finger on the new ones. Ditto on the modified actual plastic case on all newer copies of AB's catalogue. Why do I know this? I was forced to replace my original, as well as their earlier Halloween disc (not the 'Divimax' SE with the messed up color tones), and received these newer copies. Is it sad I noticed these things immediately? Quite possibly. What can I say? I've always been a visual guy. I actually havent gotten rid of the older ones yet, so it's not faulty memory. So how bout it...which one do you guys have? (More film geek street cred points if you have the original, of course)

Last edited by Alkaline; 03-19-07 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-29-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Alkaline
So how bout it...which one do you guys have?
Of Deep Red? My copy doesn't have the AB website listed on the back.

I don't think I'll be upgrading to the new BU version.
Old 03-30-07, 06:54 AM

I would be VERY surprised if these were not exact copies of the Anchor Bay dvds that will now just say Blue Underground on them.
They are. Right down to the menus.

Blue Underground does have some promising things on the horizon, believe it or not.

There will be 2 Disc SE's of Circle of Iron, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, and The Stendhal Syndrome. Some more Jess Franco titles too...

Also, they are finally releasing new material (the title of this film is pure irony, btw):

Going Under (2004)
A Tale Of Obsession, Submission And Tortured Love. Peter, a married psychotherapist, and Suzanne, a professional dominatrix, have been engaged in an affair of sensual dominance and submission in an S&M dungeon where they must abide by the rules. Now, those rules are about to be broken when they agree to see each other on the outside. As Peter becomes increasingly obsessed with the troubled Suzanne, they embark on a sordid psychosexual journey into their tortured pasts through their most carnal desires. Tony Awardr winner Roger Rees (THE PRESTIGE, THE WEST WING) and Geno Lechner (SCHINDLER'S LIST, IMMORTAL BELOVED) star in this starkly beautiful Award-winning film that brilliantly illuminates the dark world of S&M, fetishized eroticism, and the disturbing consequences of blurring the line between fantasy and reality.
Street Date June 26, 2007

Go here for the coverart: http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...ab=5#topoftabs

In spite of all this, I don't see this company being around in 2-3 years. It will be Bill Lustig's fault.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.