Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where's all the deleted scenes I remember from Superman II?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-01-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally watched the theatrical cut of Superman II last night, and was disappointed that the deleted scenes on the disc consisted of only one - that goofy souffle scene that made me cringe when I saw it about 25 years ago on ABC's first broadcast. I remember plenty of others. Some not so good like Lex Luthor performing prison laundry duties and discovering one of his fellow prisoners was a bed wetter, or NASA complaining someone running a hairdryer was messing up their transmission.

But where is that great scene where Non kills the kid with the police car light? Someone says, "But he was just a boy!" and Ursa says, "Who will never become a man!" Or the one where Lex Luthor is arrested at the end and Superman
Spoiler:
destroys the Fortress of Solitude?

Any chance these are included in the Richard Donner cut? I'm planning on watching that one this weekend.
Old 12-01-06, 11:11 AM

most of the scenes are on the donner cut i believe.
Old 12-01-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I remember watching the tv version on ABC long ago that showed Non killing the kid. That small extension added alot to that entire destruction sequence.
Old 12-01-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
I finally watched the theatrical cut of Superman II last night, and was disappointed that the deleted scenes on the disc consisted of only one - that goofy souffle scene that made me cringe when I saw it about 25 years ago on ABC's first broadcast. I remember plenty of others. Some not so good like Lex Luthor performing prison laundry duties and discovering one of his fellow prisoners was a bed wetter, or NASA complaining someone running a hairdryer was messing up their transmission.

But where is that great scene where Non kills the kid with the police car light? Someone says, "But he was just a boy!" and Ursa says, "Who will never become a man!" Or the one where Lex Luthor is arrested at the end and Superman
Spoiler:
destroys the Fortress of Solitude?

Any chance these are included in the Richard Donner cut? I'm planning on watching that one this weekend.
All of what you mentioned are on the Donner Cut either as stand alone deleted scenes or incorporated into the film save for Non killing the boy, which I've never seen.
Old 12-01-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dullboy
All of what you mentioned are on the Donner Cut either as stand alone deleted scenes or incorporated into the film save for Non killing the boy, which I've never seen.
Non killing the kid with the police light is definitely footage shot by Lester... not everything from the various TV versions made it into the supplements, unfortunately.
Old 12-01-06, 02:11 PM

I can't believe the cut the whole musical number out.

I was sure they'd include it as a deleted scene...
Old 12-01-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Non killing the kid with the police light is definitely footage shot by Lester... not everything from the various TV versions made it into the supplements, unfortunately.
Man that is disappointing. That's a great scene I've wanted to see again for the last 25 years!
Old 12-01-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I guess I meant which isn't on either the Lester or Donner cut.
Old 12-01-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they're in this thread right here on the front page of this forum.
Old 12-04-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere else yet, but turns out the scene with Non killing the boy by throwing the police lamp is oddly included in its entirety on the "You Will Believe" feature-length documentary.
Old 12-04-06, 10:57 AM

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere else yet, but turns out the scene with Non killing the boy by throwing the police lamp is oddly included in its entirety on the "You Will Believe" feature-length documentary.

you're shitting me ?!, you mean I have to buy the 'Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition' box set for this documentary soley for this deleted scene?
Old 12-04-06, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
you're shitting me ?!, you mean I have to buy the 'Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition' box set for this documentary soley for this deleted scene?
I watched the documentary the other night and it's FANTASTIC!! The price of the set is worth it for the documentary alone.

I have to say, though, I could've watched another hour of it.
Old 12-04-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, this documentary is wonderful. I love the stories about Brando, about how much of a kook he was. And it's a treat to see how fondly Terence Stamp retells his memories. There was so much information in this doc, and so much on the set footage, I also think that it could've lasted 3 hours and I wouldn't have felt burned out.
Old 12-04-06, 11:25 AM
Banned

Well it was a Superman weekend for me. I was able to watch all 4 Reeve movies plus the Donner cut of II. I know many people hate 3 and 4 but in all reality they were not that bad. Superman III was good on it's own with Pryor providing the humor. Part IV was not bad as Hackman coming back helped, I admit Nuclear Man was kind of lame but I understood what Reeve/WB was trying to do with the movie..Tonight I finish the series by watching Superman Returns, then I go back and watch the extra's and the documentary, should be a full week's worth of Superman goodness!
Old 12-04-06, 12:07 PM

superman the movie doesnt seem to have all the extra scenes from the KCOP tv version. and superman 2 still seems to be missing some little bits of tv footage.
not sure why the boy killing wasnt on the sm2 dvd. it's lester footage so donner wouldnt have touched it for his version.
Old 12-04-06, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kevkev
superman the movie doesnt seem to have all the extra scenes from the KCOP tv version. and superman 2 still seems to be missing some little bits of tv footage.
not sure why the boy killing wasnt on the sm2 dvd. it's lester footage so donner wouldnt have touched it for his version.
as it was stated in the other thread, I'd say there's probably a good 30 minutes of footage not included from the first movie. Haven't figured out the 2nd yet.
Old 12-04-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Digi, I assume you are working out a super edit at this point?
Old 12-04-06, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
Digi, I assume you are working out a super edit at this point?
I'm going to do a "bonus disc" first of all the deleted scenes that weren't included for either of the first two movies.

Then, I'd like to do an edit of the two different versions of S2. There were some lines but extras that were overdubbed for some reason and i'd like to try and rectify that. I'd also like to see if I could get rid of some of williams cues that donner used. it was just damn awkward. I have high hopes for it since I think a combination of the two cuts is what would be best.

Hell, i'm probably getting rid of my HD DVD because of it
Old 12-04-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No kidding! Great to know! Such an effective scene, and after watching the extended version on ABC time and again, I've always lamented that it wasn't part of the theatrical cut.

I remember a lot of extra scenes on the ABC broadcast, and I hoped they would be on the new releases, either as part of the Donner Cut or as deleted scenes of both versions. Many were, but others are still absent.

Another good scene extension: Zod, Ursa, and Non are on the moon after killing the astronauts, and Zod is observing how their power grows the closer they get to "the yellow sun":

Ursa: "It comes from there-- a place called Houston."

Zod: "Then we will go there, too. To rule. Finally, to rule."

That's where the theatrical version cuts to the three of them taking off from the moon. In the extension, Zod turns to Ursa: "And you will have what you desire."

Ursa: "Men-- to kill!"

Zod: "And I will lead!"

Works great, and Zod's tone is a perfect transition to their departure. But this extension appears nowhere in the supplements. I don't yet have the 14-disc set, so maybe it's hidden somewhere there.

This page at IMDb gives a good picture of how much more is out there.

--THX
Old 12-04-06, 06:15 PM

I'm about to watch it now. I remember that when i was a kid but whenever i bring it up...no one remembers...now i can see it AND show it to others.... I was so pissed when it wasnt on the donner cut. In fact....Why was the whole scene cut? It didnt make sense for them to take the sheriff's gun...then next scene the army is after them WTF?
Old 12-04-06, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by marcellusk
I'm about to watch it now. I remember that when i was a kid but whenever i bring it up...no one remembers...now i can see it AND show it to others.... I was so pissed when it wasnt on the donner cut. In fact....Why was the whole scene cut? It didnt make sense for them to take the sheriff's gun...then next scene the army is after them WTF?
I would assume Lester shot much of the footage after the sheriff gun incident, the way the whole small town incident plays out in the Donnor cut, is a let down imo, because in this case, Lester's footage really benefited from more of the villians interaction with the common town folk. I agree though watching the Donnor cut and all those missing was indeed a 'WTF' moment.
Old 12-05-06, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I would assume Lester shot much of the footage after the sheriff gun incident, the way the whole small town incident plays out in the Donnor cut, is a let down imo, because in this case, Lester's footage really benefited from more of the villians interaction with the common town folk. I agree though watching the Donnor cut and all those missing was indeed a 'WTF' moment.

this scene is shown on Disc 13 in the DOC, but there is some voice- over interview during the begining of it.

woops---already mentioned.
Old 12-05-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still have the version of Superman II shown on ABC back in 1983, with everything but the kitchen sink included. Thankfully, VHS media was made more solid in those days, and the recording still looks good today, even with repeated viewings. That will definitely be backed up to DVD. It's P&S, sure, but it's the only copy I have of the longer cut, and it's the version I watched as a kid. As such, the theatrical cut feels incomplete.

--THX
Old 12-05-06, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Still have the version of Superman II shown on ABC back in 1983, with everything but the kitchen sink included. Thankfully, VHS media was made more solid in those days, and the recording still looks good today, even with repeated viewings. That will definitely be backed up to DVD. It's P&S, sure, but it's the only copy I have of the longer cut, and it's the version I watched as a kid. As such, the theatrical cut feels incomplete.

--THX
There was already a 2 disc set that archived it from the best possible sources (I believe a 16mm print of the broadcast). It actually looks really good for full screen.

But too bad all the deleted scenes weren't included.
Old 12-05-06, 09:44 AM

not to go off too much of a tangent, but there seems to be alot of discs that try include everything, specifically deleted scenes, but don't, another good example would be

E.T. The Extraterrestial - where the deleted scenes where included on the laserdisc edition but nowhere for the special edition DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.