Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "Look Up in the Sky" doc in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about "Look Up in the Sky" doc in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be being totally anal, but on the paper on back of the set, the "Look Up" documentary disc is shown with art that matches the rest of the set. In my set, the disc art is the same as the stand alone release. Is this true for anyone else? Is there any difference?

Derek
Old 11-30-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Mine has the art from the stand alone edition. Was kind of disappointed to see that but what can ya do?
Old 11-30-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it actually the same content from the stand-alone release, or does it actually contain all of the footage that was promised?
Old 11-30-06, 03:08 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reubs82
Is it actually the same content from the stand-alone release, or does it actually contain all of the footage that was promised?
What was promised for that disc that wasn't on the standalone release? BEST BUY had an exclusive second disc that included a few of Bryan Singer's video journals, but they are all now available on the "Superman Returns" 2-disc edtion, and of course also in the Ultimate Collection set, but not as part of "Look, Up In The Sky...".
Old 11-30-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the issue is not with the content but with the artwork on the disc label.
Old 12-01-06, 03:07 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Cameron
the issue is not with the content but with the artwork on the disc label.
I understand that, but this is what I'm replying to:

Originally Posted by reubs82
I'm just asking what reubs82 means by that, because I don't recall anything being "promised" that isn't on the disc. It's possible that they're thinking of other bonus stuff that appears on other discs in the set, not "Look..."
Old 12-01-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yah, I'm assuming all the extra content that was on the Best Buy exclusive version which was all carried over, just on other disc.
Old 12-01-06, 03:47 PM
Bye

Yah, I'm assuming all the extra content that was on the Best Buy exclusive version which was all carried over, just on other disc.
Grab some coffee, man.

The extra content from the BEST BUY-exclusive bonus disc is on the second Superman Returns disc, not "Look Up In The Sky". My theory is that the material on that second disc is what reubs82 was talking about, but have not been able to confirm that with him/her. So far, all that's been said is that a lot of footage was "promised", but I'm still getting to the bottom of what footage he's talking about.

Just to review, I know the disc label was supposed to match the rest of the discs, but in at least some sets, it doesn't. I also know that the content on the disc found in the set is identical to the standalone, non-BEST BUY release. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of something someone else has said. Follow the bouncing "author" fields and we'll figure this out together.
Old 12-01-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hence why i said "just on other disc" as in...not on the documentary disc but across the other disc in the set
Old 12-02-06, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
What was promised for that disc that wasn't on the standalone release? BEST BUY had an exclusive second disc that included a few of Bryan Singer's video journals, but they are all now available on the "Superman Returns" 2-disc edtion, and of course also in the Ultimate Collection set, but not as part of "Look, Up In The Sky...".
Is there really Bryan Singer video journal content on the 2 disk Superman Returns?

I bought the tin, and was under the impression that all the video journals were on a third Video Journals disk, and that the two disk set in the tin is the same version available separately.

Admittedly, I haven't checked out the SR disks yet.

I'm so confused...
Old 12-02-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bryan Singer video blogs aren't included with Superman Returns. They are exclusive to the 14-disc tin.
Old 12-03-06, 11:21 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by Rizor
The Bryan Singer video blogs aren't included with Superman Returns. They are exclusive to the 14-disc tin.
Point taken. I haven't gone through all of the bonus stuff on SR myself, either.
Old 12-03-06, 11:25 AM
Bye

hence why i said "just on other disc" as in...not on the documentary disc but across the other disc in the set
YES, but you're over-simplifying. The person I was replying to was implying that more footage was "promised" for the version of "Look..." that was to be included in the tin, and I'm desperately trying to find out WHAT footage they're talking about. Getting sidetracked on what is on other discs in the set isn't helping, and the person I was replying to has been strangely silent.
Old 12-03-06, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
I for one don't care too much about non-matching art. The set is wonderful, massive even, I'll get my 2 replacement discs and have a very perfect Ultimate Superman Collection.
Old 12-03-06, 02:50 PM

The problem with non-matching artwork in a collection of this size, and depth is it certainly makes one think that the disc does not belong, and that it has missing content. If all the discs were different, no big deal, but when only one of them is different - particularly when the cover art shows a disc that looks like all the rest, and it is only "some" sets that have a different disc. Sure makes me think that there is something wrong with it, especially since there are other problems with the set.
Old 12-03-06, 03:25 PM

Do you know for a fact that it is only some of the sets that have the disc with the non-matching art?

Derek
Old 12-03-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BabyBomber#1
Do you know for a fact that it is only some of the sets that have the disc with the non-matching art?

Derek
I have a set, with disc art that is not matching for the documentary
Old 12-03-06, 04:02 PM

No I don't know for a fact that it is only some, but it would not make any sense to have the box art with a non matching disc, unless the box art is just that - art, and not a photo of the actual set (which is what I assuming it is).

Also, one of the senior members metions that he knows that the disc labels are all supposed to match, and so I am assuming again that some of the disc sets are correct. Maybe they are all non-matching...
Old 12-03-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
If anyone is keeping count, mine doesn't match either.
Old 12-06-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine doesn't match either, but as long as the content is the same, I don't care.
Old 12-09-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Add me as another whose disc art doesn't match. It's not really a big deal, assuming nothing is missing in the disc itself, but it still bugs me that it doesn't match.
Old 12-09-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Mine doesn't match either. Nor does it match the cover art for the 2-disc Best Buy special edition's cover art. I cant speak on whether it matches the single disc release or not. Maybe the cover art for this disc in the ultimate set was changed slightly from what they had originally created for the disc. My guess is that they went ahead and used the altered artwork for the disc and felt that it wasn't necessary to modify the artwork for the back of the tin. Or maybe we're all getting screwed out of the greatest Superman disc in history and some super secret content.
Old 12-10-06, 03:30 AM

I just watched my "Look!" disc, with its non-matching arwork. It's 110 minutes long, and is the only thing on the disc. I don't know if this tells anybody anything or not.

Excellent documentary, however. This box may turn out to be the most entertaining $50 I've ever spent.

RichC
Old 12-10-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this was the original disc "bonus features" according to the DVDTalk review (my disc looks like the cover pictured here):

"On the one-disc version, you get nothing, not counting trailers for "Firewall," "The Lady In the Water," "Poseidon," and a combo trailer for Warner Brothers' various "Superman" releases (which includes the teaser for "Superman Returns"), which play as the disc first loads; they are skippable, but not accessible through any menu.

If you go with the two-discer, all you'll get are 28 minutes of seemingly random clips from Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" video production diaries. There's a lot owed to Peter Jackson here, although fans will most likely balk at not getting the entire set of "video blogs" that Singer posted to the Blue Tights website over the past year or so. Only twelve are included, and most have apparently been edited down from their original versions. Worse still: the "Returns" DVD set is reported to include all of these diaries, meaning the only real reason to upgrade is to get those poster postcards."

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22391