Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

For parents: Any experience w/ getting rid of dvd collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally realized that with the birth of a child, I just do not have the time to enjoy watching dvds like the good ol' days. I'm looking to get rid of the majority of my collection.

Any recommendations on a quicky/easy way to part ways with them, besides just giving them away?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XBOX360
I have finally realized that with the birth of a child, I just do not have the time to enjoy watching dvds like the good ol' days. I'm looking to get rid of the majority of my collection.

Any recommendations on a quicky/easy way to part ways with them, besides just giving them away?

Thanks.
Ebay? Pawn Shop?
Old 11-26-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

exchange forum
Old 11-26-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Send them to me.

Depends...are you just trying to get rid of them, or are you trying to recoup some money? If you can afford to wait, try selling on Amazon or Half.com, I've sold things from just a few bucks under Amazon's price, to multiples of it [for OOS/OOP items]. Their commission is a bitch, but it's much easier than ebay, and I know I get paid since they pay Amazon with credit card.
If you're more interested in speed, try trading them in at a dvd store or video game store--but you most likely won't get much for them, and of course they want to pay you in trade credit, which you could then use or sell or give away. Some places will pay cash, in lesser amounts, like a pawn shop.
Find a local charity or charity thrift store and donate them [the appropriate ones, that is]; claim a tax writeoff, although now I think you have to claim the resale value, not the replacement value, or something.
Have a garage sale, or find someone who is having a garage sale.
Post them on craigslist or a *.forsale newsgroup, if you have one.
Use some of them for Christmas presents.

All of these ideas, of course, will result in different speeds and different monetary returns, so you have to decide what's important to you.
I'd definitely keep some, you never know what you'll be in the mood to watch. Plus, you might have more time than you think--those evenings where the lil' one is napping on your chest could be a good time to watch a few.

Oh, and congratulations
Old 11-26-06, 08:33 PM

The baby will grow up, trust me, you will be able to watch tv again, when my youngest turned 5 I could finally enjoy a full show again.
Old 11-26-06, 08:41 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you f-in' kidding me?! As the dedicated parent of a two year-old, who also just passed the 1,000 mark in my DVD collection, allow me to opine that you're bonkers.
Old 11-26-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Are you f-in' kidding me?! As the dedicated parent of a two year-old, who also just passed the 1,000 mark in my DVD collection, allow me to opine that you're bonkers.

We just recently learned that we're due in July (), and my collection is only at 600, but I feel the exact same way. Hell, a lot of this stuff I've been buying for kids I wasn't even sure I was ever going to have.

My spending will definitely decrease, but I'm just going to be more picky about what I pick up in the future.
Old 11-26-06, 08:56 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Check amazon and half.com for prices. Half.com is alittle cheaper to sell on. You're really better off keeping anything worth less than 5 dollars. Someday down the road youll want to watch them. They can also be good to trade at wherehouse or blockbuster when they have a trade in deal. The high value stuff you should sell asap before the prices go down. Unless its an oop title like disney which may continue to escalate in price.

Last edited by g; 11-26-06 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by g
Check amazon and half.com for prices. Half.com is alittle cheaper to sell on. You're really better off keeping anything worth less than 5 dollars. Someday down the road youll want to watch them. They can also be good to trade at wherehouse or blockbuster when they have a trade in deal. The high value stuff you should sell asap before the prices go down. Unless its an oop title like disney which may continue to escalate in price.
Yeah, I've got lots where the money I'd get for them, is barely worth the postage, so I either keep it or give it to someone who'd appreciate it. Some of the OOPers that I won't watch again, I try to get the most for; lots of the Disney's I keep to share in the future
I don't get rid of stuff because I don't think I'll have time to watch it--I'll get rid of it if I think I won't have the interest to watch it, and I can recoup some money [or in a few cases, profit] from it. If you paid 20 for it, and you'll only get 3 back, it's not really worth selling, imho. That said, I don't think someone's "bonkers" for wanting to plan ahead and focus on his child, nor am I saying you can't have other interests/hobbies and still be a good parent.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 11-26-06 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I either keep it or give it to someone who'd appreciate it.
<-------- someone who'd appreciate it

I'll even pay the postage.
Old 11-26-06, 10:28 PM

You just have to time it right. I am the father of a 3 yr old and 5 yr old and usually do the bulk of my movie watching during their nap time or after they go to bed at night. Sometimes I can watch one when they are around but they are distracting because they can't sit through a movie. Don't let having a kid stop you from your hobby and/or passion.

Last edited by Harold Wazzu; 11-26-06 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

List? I'd be interested in buying at a reasonable rate.
Old 11-26-06, 10:47 PM

I dropped you an email and have some interest as well if you get serious.

One thing I wanted to add is AS my own kids have gotten older there has been GREAT pleasure in rewatching classics (age appropriate) with them.
Sometimes seeing things through their eyes makes it the best in viewing.
Old 11-26-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gimme a break. Having kids kept me from going out to movies. If I gave up watching them at home, I'd be done for. My 4yr old has diabetes. That means no baby sitters ever.
Old 11-27-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I couldn't find a craigslist.org entry for the gutter, although Detroit might fit the bill. I would try there.
Old 11-27-06, 10:13 AM

Ever considered putting the child on ebay instead? Just a thought...
Old 11-27-06, 01:34 PM

8 months ago I was going through this same feeling. When my daughter was born, I thought it was the end of the world and I should look into selling off my collection. At that time it was about 650. Well, I got busy with her for a while, and never got around to selling them. A month later she was sleeping through the night and that gave me time to get back to watching. The buying slows down but not by much --i'm up to 750 now.
Old 11-27-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Gimme a break. Having kids kept me from going out to movies. If I gave up watching them at home, I'd be done for.
my thoughts exactly. but if you are set on selling them, i have not had problems occasionally thinning the collection on ebay.
Old 11-27-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if i were you i would keep your dvd collection cause once the kid starts going to school (congrates on the birth by the way, a child is a great thing!) or pre school or whatever your going to do, you will have lots of time to pop some of those dvds in the machine and play them.

however if you have still decided to get rid of your collection give me a e-mail at: [email protected]
and send me a list of the dvds you have and the condition they are in and i will give you a price of what i would pay you for your collection.
im fare and pretty resinable in price. (better than a pawn shop).

either way, if you decide to keep them good on ya! but if you wanna get rid of them ill give you a price.

enjoy the baby, kids grow up fast don't forget that!
Old 11-27-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have finally realized that with the birth of a child, I just do not have the time to enjoy watching dvds like the good ol' days.
I found with the birth of my children (two now), I actually had more time for stuff like this. As others have said, the spending will go down, but you'll be home a lot more. I still remember being up at 3am with a crying baby who wouldn't go back to bed. Being able to pull something from my collection was a life saver. Now that they're older (4 & 9), we still don't get out a lot or get to stay out late. Movies are a great time killer on a Friday/Saturday night.
Old 11-27-06, 09:05 PM

I'll chime in here as well, my son just turned 9 months, I didnt sell any of my DVD's in that timeframe. Sure you buy less, but also for me in the past year I joined Blockbuster so that helps me not buy as much. You'll have time to watch them, babies do this thing called sleeping (alot when they're just born) and around 3 or 4 months he started sleepign through the night, so now we just pop in a movie around 8 or 9 when he goes to sleep, or if we're lucky watch one while he plays. Sure there is more ambient noise with a baby but at least noones kicking the back of my chair!

Keep the DVD's, you'll kick yourself later if you get rid of them. Unless its a money situation, then its your call.
Old 11-27-06, 09:54 PM

Yeah, don't get rid of them, eventually you'll have the time.

My daughter, who's 5 now, loves to watch movies with me on our big screen
Old 11-27-06, 10:33 PM
Defunct Account

Sell the 360 and keep the DVDs. You'll have even less time to play games.
Old 11-27-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Want to echo the sentiments of a lot of parents on here. I have a one-year-old son, and while it has made it somewhat harder to watch DVDs, I continue to buy. I am able to watch one sometimes while I'm babysitting him and he's busy in his playpen or with his toys. And I've recently started to get back into the habit of throwing one on after he's in bed. No problem and no interruptions then!

Plus there's all the Disney and other age-appropriate material that I will be able to enjoy all over again watching with him!

So here's hoping you will hold onto your collection or at least a part of it. You CAN find the time to watch something...I thought my "world would end" too after he was born, but I was wrong about that. (Plus, even when you can't watch DVDs, there's so much fun in being a parent anyway; he's a handful but I love being a Dad!)
Old 11-27-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In for another "what are you thinking?"

I have a six month old daughter. Watch at least 3-4 DVD's a week. Never go to the movies anymore but we have plenty of time to watch a movie in the evening from time to time.

I'll also agree about the video games though. That one I HAVE kinda had to stop doing since the little rugrat LOVES cords and goes straight for my PS2 controller the moment I pull it out. It's hard fighting her off it and I'm too cheap to go buy a wireless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.