Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

[Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how will we know which version we are buying, say in a few months, once they've HOPEFULLY been corrected? will there be a sitcker that says, "oh boy we f'd up -- this is the version to buy"??
Old 11-25-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
how will we know which version we are buying, say in a few months, once they've HOPEFULLY been corrected? will there be a sitcker that says, "oh boy we f'd up -- this is the version to buy"??
Lmfao to "oh boy we f'd up -- this is the version to buy" if only they marketed products with that kind of honesty because that's exactly what it should say.
Old 11-25-06, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL
Guys, just buy the Chris Reeve set and Supes II DC separately/ The only really worthwile thing you're missing from the Ultimate coll. is the docs... i'm sure they'll be rerun many times in the future like the Empire of Dreams doc was.
That would be silly. The Chris Reeves set and the Supes II DC basically equal what you'd spend on the Ultimate Collection anyway. And you're missing out on Superman Returns and the 3 extras discs as well. And you do realize that the Empire of Dreams doc when it was shown on TV was a cutdown version, yes?
Old 11-25-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn it I was really looking forward to this set....
Old 11-25-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The "Look Up in the Sky" documentary that aired on A&E runs about 90 minutes without commercials. The one that's included on this DVD runs 1 hour 50 minutes.

Also, the Superman Returns 2-disc edition is also included, so there is no way I'm passing this up for the Chris Reeve collection that's missing the Donner cut as well as Superman Returns and the Docs.
Old 11-25-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, the Superman Returns 2-disc edition is also included, so there is no way I'm passing this up for the Chris Reeve collection that's missing the Donner cut as well as Superman Returns and the Docs.
Yeah, my "cooler head prevailed" today after double-checking all the specs etc. I definitely want the UE set. There's just too much there. I'm a bit worried about what I'm hearing from people's experiences with WB Canada. I damn well want a replacement disc for III though, and I really don't want to wait long for it. I think we should just have to send a POP/receipt and be sent the DVD. None of this hassle of sending one and waiting.
Old 11-25-06, 08:21 PM
Bye

The "Look Up in the Sky" documentary that aired on A&E runs about 90 minutes without commercials. The one that's included on this DVD runs 1 hour 50 minutes.
For what it's worth, the documentary has of course already been released individually.

Personally though, I'm just getting the original, the Donner cut of II, and eventually Returns.
Old 11-25-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys, just buy the Chris Reeve set and Supes II DC separately/ The only really worthwile thing you're missing from the Ultimate coll. is the docs... i'm sure they'll be rerun many times in the future like the Empire of Dreams doc was.
Look, Up in the Sky is run on A&E, yes, but in a shortened version, and there are other documentaries exclusive to the Ultimate Collection that I'm looking very much forward to seeing. Plus, all of Bryan Singer's video journals. Plus, the artwork is far and away better than the individual releases. For me, no contest.

I will be buying this on Tuesday, and then-- with hope-- counting on getting the correct Superman III disc whenever Warner sets up the exchange program.

I'm not going to wait for Warner to fix this and then purchase. The Back to the Future Trilogy was reissued with corrected mattes, but the booklet included with the initial release was removed. Which is why I never bought it. I don't want to take the chance that something will be missing from this set when Warner starts to ship the rectified copies.

--THX
Old 11-26-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm buying this the day it comes out. I'll wait it out to see if WB sends out replacement discs or something. If not, then after Christmas I'll just buy Superman III DE and replace it, it's only like $10-$15 and it will be like a month later. I don't want to do that, but if WB doesn't send out replacement discs, then that's what I'll have to do.
Old 11-26-06, 01:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully they'll make the replacement process easy. At least they did it right for "A new Hope". Just had to call in and they sent a disk
Old 11-26-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't have too much faith on WB and their replacement program. I have yet to receive that envelope for Tom and Jerry Volume 2 in order to exchange one of the discs.

However, I will be buying the Ultimate Collection on Tuesday and decide later on what to do with the Superman III disc.
Old 11-26-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Hopefully they'll make the replacement process easy. At least they did it right for "A new Hope". Just had to call in and they sent a disk
If it was for Star Wars: A New Hope, then the studio was Fox not WB.
Old 11-26-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Ordered, but I do want a replacement in the future. I have never had a problem with WB so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.
Old 11-26-06, 08:59 AM

What about the replacement for the theatrical cut of Superman-The Movie? Apparently it's not the original sound mix after all.
Old 11-26-06, 09:42 AM
Banned

So bottom line.
Is it all SUPERMAN UE sets?
Old 11-26-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
If anyone here goes to Best Buy/Target or Circuit City on Tuesday morning or afternoon please post your findings here. I don't plan to go there until after work on Tuesday, but I would love to hear if the stores were affected by this error.
Old 11-26-06, 12:43 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Fok
Damn, I knew I missed something! Do you still have that number by any chance? I kept my original 2004 disc of "A New Hope" when I bought the latest releases of the trilogy, so I probably still have the messed-up soundtrack.
Old 11-26-06, 12:54 PM

If anyone here goes to Best Buy/Target or Circuit City on Tuesday morning or afternoon please post your findings here. I don't plan to go there until after work on Tuesday, but I would love to hear if the stores were affected by this error.
Um, what is so unclear about this to you? What findings are you looking for and why would you think the stores wouldn't be affected?
Old 11-26-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Aren't many of the things that we own on dvd shown on tv many times throughout our lives? The point of buying them on dvd is so that you can watch them whenever you want and being in their original, uncut form.
Old 11-26-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
At least it's only on Superman III, I would be really pissed if it affected the 4 disc Superman: The Movie or the Richard Donner Cut or if the 2nd disc of Superman Returns wasn't in there.
Old 11-26-06, 02:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The sad thing is I was really looking forward to the new pressing of S3. I may actually hold out and wait for the corrected set.
Old 11-26-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I may actually hold out and wait for the corrected set.
Remember those that held out for a corrected set for Back to the Future? They had to wait a couple years while those of us who went with the replacement program was only out a few weeks. Of course this is dependent on the number of initial pressings but, IMO, it's better to be able to enjoy the other stuff in this huge set now and worry about the replacement disc when it arrives later.
Old 11-26-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
At least it's only on Superman III, I would be really pissed if it affected the 4 disc Superman: The Movie or the Richard Donner Cut or if the 2nd disc of Superman Returns wasn't in there.
That's the same way I'm looking at it. Of course it could have been better, but sadly, it also could have been worse!
Old 11-26-06, 04:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Remember those that held out for a corrected set for Back to the Future? They had to wait a couple years while those of us who went with the replacement program was only out a few weeks. Of course this is dependent on the number of initial pressings but, IMO, it's better to be able to enjoy the other stuff in this huge set now and worry about the replacement disc when it arrives later.
Good point. Here's hoping for a replacement disc announcement soon...
Old 11-26-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I am happy this error was reported in a seperate thread, I NEVER would have found it otherwise. Now I will wait for the replacement program, instead of being aggrevated for having received a defected disc.

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.