Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Passion of the Christ: Definitive Edition - Due 2/6/07

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Admiral7
Well, considering your getting LESS movie with the RECUT via seamless branching, the RECUT version has nothing to do with losing the DTS track.
I think they should have just cut the Recut version off the DVD (I saw it in theaters. It was one of the sloppiest recuts of a film I'd ever seen) and reinstated the DTS track.
Old 01-26-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is this "no DTS" info from? The original press release stated Aramaic 5.1 DTS sound explicitly.
Old 01-26-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
Where is this "no DTS" info from? The original press release stated Aramaic 5.1 DTS sound explicitly.
Old 01-26-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well packaging often omits things. The recent case being The Doors having a commentary yet not labled anywhere, even press release.
Old 01-26-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I SEVERELY hope to God that's the case.
Old 01-26-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I bought this today at my local Best Buy. It is one of the best special editions I have seen in a long while. Disc 1 has both versions of the film. There are four commentaries. on Disc 2 you get a making-of that's 1hr 40min long. 2 deleted scenes and a host of featurettes about Christ. It is well worth the money and the wait.
Have you checked out the discs in your player yet? Is there a DTS track on there? Thanks.
Old 01-30-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I checked out the DVD in my player a few moments ago and there is no DTS track.
Old 01-30-07, 05:04 PM

Any chance of a double feature release with "The God Who Wasn't There"?

Make for some interesting arguments...
Old 01-30-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I checked out the DVD in my player a few moments ago and there is no DTS track.
Thanks for the info.

That's a shame. Guess I'll be sticking with the original release then.
Old 01-30-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DAMMIT!!!

Well, guess I'm keeping both then.

EDIT: SON OF A BEEP!!! Who do you have to BEEP at Fox to have the subtitles burned into the movie?!?!?!

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 01-30-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the Fox Customer Service number or page?

I plan on writing a letter explaining my disdain about this. When you state something is to be included on a DVD, IT SHOULD BE THERE.
Old 01-30-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
EDIT: SON OF A BEEP!!! Who do you have to BEEP at Fox to have the subtitles burned into the movie?!?!?!
Actually, for this movie, I think I prefer to watch it without subtitles - so I apreciate the fact that they're optional and not burnt-in.
Old 01-31-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has there ever been a comparison of the full bit canadian dts version vs. the half rate us version?
Old 01-31-07, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
DAMMIT!!!

Well, guess I'm keeping both then.

Subtitles should NEVER be forced! Why is it a problem to just turn them on?
Old 01-31-07, 07:39 AM

For this film, I would greatly prefer burned-in subs. That is how it was in the theater. I despise player-generated ones. Still, it sounds like a good release otherwise, so I might pick it up.
Old 01-31-07, 09:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
the picture of the backing doesn't list the theatrical version on it. is it indeed there? and if there neither version has DTS, correct?

is it only the R1 Canadian that has DTS, not the US? and if so where can you get it?
Old 01-31-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
the picture of the backing doesn't list the theatrical version on it. is it indeed there? and if there neither version has DTS, correct?

is it only the R1 Canadian that has DTS, not the US? and if so where can you get it?
The theatrical release is there. The Canadian, and U.S. original versions both have dts. Except, the Canadian release has a full bit rate dts, and the U.S got a half rate.
Old 01-31-07, 12:02 PM

Once again, the Recut Version (which is LESS movie via seamless branching, so it's not taking away from anything) has NOTHING to do with losing the DTS track. The DTS track was lost to make room for 4 commentaries, and a trivia track.
Old 01-31-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JC needs to be crucified again after that post!
Old 01-31-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ZackR
For this film, I would greatly prefer burned-in subs. That is how it was in the theater. I despise player-generated ones. Still, it sounds like a good release otherwise, so I might pick it up.
I hope you're kidding with the "that's how it was in the theater" comment.

I'm curious. Is there anything in particular that you dislike about player-generated subtitles? Is it the fonts? I haven't heard this complaint very much before.
Old 01-31-07, 01:25 PM

The player generated subtitles bug me too. The Star Wars films are that way with the alien language. But I guess for DVD purposes and regional releases it's easier to use player subtitles as opposed to releasing the film in every language.
Old 01-31-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep

I'm curious. Is there anything in particular that you dislike about player-generated subtitles? Is it the fonts? I haven't heard this complaint very much before.
It's a valid complaint when the subtitle is refering to a time or place.

But very few people ever complain about player-generated subs for a foreign language film, because there are people who speak different languages, and the idea of burnt-in subtiles become bone-headed in such an international market - and as far as the language in Passion - some people actually understand it, so why should they have to suffer subtitles?
Old 01-31-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ZackR
The supplements on this 2-disc edition delve into the subtitle issue at length. Gibson at first wanted the film to have no subtitles at all. You can thus experiment, and see what that would've been like.
Old 01-31-07, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Peep

No, I am completely serious. I do not mind player-generated subs when they were not part of the original presentation. Most foreign language films obviously were not originally subtitled in English. However, in films such as Star Wars, Passion of the Christ, etc, the subtitles were part of the film as it was displayed theatrically. In those cases, I want the original subtitles in the original font in the original location. Player-generated subs can be very generic/ugly and I would just prefer the original presentation. I know that might sound crazy, but that is my opinion of it. It will not prevent me from buying this release, but I still wish they were burned-in. Oh, and another thing -- Burned-in subtitles were obviously part of the projected image in the theater. However, some DVD's with player-generated ones place the subtitles below the "black bars." This can be particularly annoying for people who use black mattes to block off unused portions of the screen (such as a 2.35 film on 1.78 screen). I don't do this myself due to the screen I have - it just is not practical. I have a friend that does though, and it looks great when he mattes them off. Unfortunately, if the subtitles go off the main image, then the mattes cannot be used. That is definitely not something many people do, but player-generated subtitles can be annoying for those that do.

Anyways, yes, I was serious. I do not like player-generated subtitles when the film was originally projected with subtitles. Then again, I understand why studios do it.

I just don't like it.
Old 01-31-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can understand why people complain about the subtitles for movies like Star Wars, but I'm still at a loss as to why you draw a distinction between POTC and any other foreign movie. Most of those foreign movies were shown in the US with "burnt-in" subs.

As for your friend matting out his screen, I've never tried that. I'm not sure why it would make a difference, but I'll take your word for it. Personally, I like the subs appearing in the black borders (yes, I have a FS TV) because they are more easy to read and they don't block any of the picture when they appear there.

Still, I get that it's a matter of personal preference...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.