Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs on magazines...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 03:52 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDs on magazines...

Hell, while we're at it, let's get a discussion going of DVDs offered on the covers of magazines. All too often it's just a DVD-ROM, but if anyone knows of magazines where a DVD-Video disc is offered with each issue, I'd LOVE to hear about it! I know that kind of thing is much more common in the UK, and that would be a good subject of discussion as well.

So far, I've only seen the Fall Preview DVD that was on TV Guide a while back, but since I don't hit the newsstand very often, I have the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of cool stuff.
Old 10-30-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

some of the better ones folded early on

Total movie and Substance TV come to mind
Old 10-30-06, 04:23 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Cameron
some of the better ones folded early on

Total movie and Substance TV come to mind
Hmm, didn't realize Total Movie was gone, although maybe I was thinking TotalDVD... maybe it was just a name change, or are those U.S. mags? I know there was a whole "Total _______" line of magazines in the UK, and they often had cover discs.
Old 10-30-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the us version was gone after 4 issues and then they relaunched but folded again
Old 10-30-06, 04:31 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Cameron
the us version was gone after 4 issues and then they relaunched but folded again
Ah, okay, that explains it. You think it was just the high cover price? I mean DVD freaks always love bonuses like that, don't we? A non-import magazine shouldn't be really expensive even with a cover disc, but I suppose if people didn't want to pay extra to get a DVD full of trailers, there were too many other choices for that mag to stay afloat.
Old 10-30-06, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed the UK import DVD Uncut, which folded this year after only three issues.
Old 10-30-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Ah, okay, that explains it. You think it was just the high cover price? I mean DVD freaks always love bonuses like that, don't we? A non-import magazine shouldn't be really expensive even with a cover disc, but I suppose if people didn't want to pay extra to get a DVD full of trailers, there were too many other choices for that mag to stay afloat.
I don't think so. The cover price was ten bucks, but it was early in the format when disc still averaged 25 bucks... I think the main problem was most subscribers were put off when it folded after 4 issues, and they wanted people to reapply and pay more...
Old 10-30-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm looking forward to the day they put dvds on cereal boxes like they used to do with music records that you cut out and played on a record player.
Old 10-30-06, 10:38 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm looking forward to the day they put dvds on cereal boxes like they used to do with music records that you cut out and played on a record player.
They already do, but obviously not as part of the box. I have obtained the following off the front of cereal boxes (yes, the disc is literally displayed through a cutout in the front of the box, it's not a mail-away offer or anything):

Barney Miller (2 episodes, not Season 1 stuff)
The King of Queens (1 episode from Season 6, which wasn't out at the time, plus a bonus featurette)
Mad About You (1 episode which is still not on any M.A.Y. collection, plus a bonus featurette)
Heathcliff/Super Mario Bros. (1 episode of each)
Inspector Gadget/Gadget Boy (1 episode of each)
SceneIt TV sampler DVD
SceneIt Movies sampler DVD

...and there's been a few more I didn't bother with. If anyone knows of other cereal promo DVDs, please post them here or we can start a new thread. I also have some DVDs that were included with a pizza from Papa John's, but I assume most people knew about those.
Old 10-30-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
There was also a Quarterly DVD Mag called Movie FX that had some really good "articles" and bonus features.
Old 10-30-06, 10:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...and there's been a few more I didn't bother with. If anyone knows of other cereal promo DVDs, please post them here
These came on General Mills cereal boxes a couple of years ago:

The Muppets Take Manhattan
Buddy
Bear In The Big Blue House (2 episodes I think)
Jackie Chan Adventures (2 episodes)

As for magazines with DVDs, there's Newtype USA.
Old 10-30-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paste Magazine has dvds, but they haven't had any for a while. When they do it's usually a bunch of music videos and a few short films.
Old 10-31-06, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I only had one issue of Movie FX Magazine, but it's issue #4 which has the original Spider-Man WTC teaser trailer on it. As far as I know it never officially made it to DVD anywhere else.
Old 10-31-06, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A few years ago I got the Muppets Take Manhattan on a cereal box...
Old 10-31-06, 09:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Paste Magazine has dvds, but they haven't had any for a while. When they do it's usually a bunch of music videos and a few short films.
I don't know why they haven't released another DVD since I have enjoyed the short films.

also, I noticed a trend in the *ahem* adult magazine realm that one Euro mag has a free dvd (Reg.0) every issue.
Old 10-31-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I know that kind of thing is much more common in the UK, and that would be a good subject of discussion as well.
Yeah, the newstands esp. the W. Smith stores at the tube stations are filled with them. It's hard to make a choice.
Old 10-31-06, 10:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, the newstands esp. the W. Smith stores at the tube stations are filled with them. It's hard to make a choice.

tell me about it, compared to the US magazine market, the UK's is replete with some of the best
Old 10-31-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, UK magazines seem to put US magazines to shame, especially with all the DVD goodies that are included with a lot of UK entertainment magazines. The US version of Future Music, for example, is considerably "dumbed down" compared to its UK version, which seems to have at least twice the features and page count. But then it is $15 to buy it here, not sure what it sells for in the UK....
Old 11-02-06, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newtype USA for the anime fans - each issue includes a DVD with trailers plus usually at least two full episodes of current anime. Very nice way to check out a series before buying.
Old 11-03-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I don't know why they haven't released another DVD since I have enjoyed the short films.

Thats the reason I got the Mag, they were giving a dvd every other issue.