Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Laserdisc question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Laserdisc question

What is the difference between CAV laserdiscs and CLV laserdiscs? I've noticed that these pop up quite a bit with Criterions.
Old 10-29-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
http://insideid.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CAV.html
Old 10-29-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CAV discs usually produce a better picture. The downside is most movies in this format are on multiple discs.
Old 10-29-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
The difference in picture quality between CAV and CLV is minimal. The primary difference between the two formats is that CAV allows true still frames during pausing and slo-mo effects (CLV discs require a player with digital field memory to simulate these functions). Also, CAV discs only fit a half hour of video per side, while CLV will fit an hour.

See the link in my sig for more details.
Old 10-29-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CAV LDs can only hold 30 minutes/side, but they offer side-by-step slow-motion without the need of digital effects capability from the LD player.

CLV LDs can hold 60 minutes/side, but slow-motion playback only occurs if your LD player offers digital effects capability (has a buffer for frames to be played back frame-by-frame).
Old 10-30-06, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats why you see some films with clv on sides 1 & 2. and cav on the final side. man, i'm glad i never got involved with laserdisc. too many side changes.
Old 10-30-06, 08:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, you sure missed out on some fantastic films. The sleeves they came in are great looking.

I still have 300+ and am still watching them, why, they're not on DVD yet.
Old 10-30-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by kevkev
thats why you see some films with clv on sides 1 & 2. and cav on the final side. man, i'm glad i never got involved with laserdisc. too many side changes.
At the time the only alternative was pan&scan fuzz-o-vision VHS. Side breaks were an acceptable compromise.
Old 10-30-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevkev
The side changes (while not ideal) were ultimately pretty trivial. Once you got used to the fact that they were there, you barely noticed them (except when an awkward break was chosen).

LD was fantastic, and I think it's telling that you rarely hear people with LD collections say that they regret buying into the format. It's always people who didn't saying they're glad. I certainly admit that DVD/HD DVD has cut into the need for a LD player significantly, but I still take out a disc every now and again for a spin -- there's tons of content (both films and extras) that have not been ported over to DVD.
Old 10-30-06, 01:34 PM

here in the uk it never took off. expensive and er expensive. most discs were pan n scan. when they started to release widescreen the format was already dead. even star wars trilogy (97) which was numbered to only 5000 only had the dolby surround track. i dont think theres any uk dts or ac3 discs. it's a shame there isnt a new budget version player. like a small ps-one. if i ever did buy one it would just be for the older films. you dont see too many laserdiscs around in the uk. not for under a pound anyway.
Old 10-30-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference between CAV and CLV Criterion releases,if it's the same film offered in both formats. Is the CAV version contains all the extra features,while the CLV version is movie only in most cases.
Old 10-31-06, 09:32 AM
mxv

I still have a laserdisc player hooked up and it will remain so for one reason.

The Decline of Western Civilization

Since it doesn't look like its going to be coming on DVD anytime this century, it's the only way I can watch it.

Oh, make that 2 reasons. The Shadow because it is in widescreen. The DVD release is only in crappy full frame!
Old 10-31-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mxv
Oh, make that 2 reasons. The Shadow because it is in widescreen. The DVD release is only in crappy full frame!
If your region free you can get the R2 version. It's anamorphic and the price is pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Alec-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 11-02-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know you guys get this alot, but could someone post some links to good online stores that sell laserdiscs? I remember a thread a few weeks ago that had some, but I can't find it now.

Last edited by big e; 11-02-06 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-02-06, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mxv
I still have a laserdisc player hooked up and it will remain so for one reason.

The Decline of Western Civilization
Oh MAN, was that even on VHS? I thought I hallucinated the fact that this film even EXISTED.
Old 11-02-06, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by big e
I know you guys get this alot, but could someone post some links to good online stores that sell laserdiscs? I remember a thread a few weeks ago that had some, but I can't find it now.
I get most of mine from Ebay. I have also bought a few from

Big Emma's
Ross' Exchange
greetingsfromhollywood

also check the LDDB store. Many sellers there. Prices aren't always great, though.
Old 11-02-06, 08:50 PM

I was assuming the question would be "what is a laserdisc player?" anytime someone asks that i just feel so damn old
Old 11-03-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chente
also check the LDDB store. Many sellers there. Prices aren't always great, though.
Yea, I checked there. I wasn't too thrilled with the prices I saw.
Old 11-03-06, 04:32 PM

Technically speaking…

CAV = Constant Angular Velocity – The disc spins at 1800 RPM for the full 30 minute run time. One frame of video per revolution. The frame of video at the outer edge of the LD was three times longer (as measured in inches (or cm) on the disc) than the frame of video at the hub. The pie shaped patterns on the CAV discs are the video synching/blanking signals lined up.

CLV = Constant Linear Velocity – The disc spins at 1800 RPM at the start (hub) of the disc and slows as it plays to 600 RPM at the outer edge. The length of a video frame information remains constant on a CLV LD. One video frame fits at the hub of the LD, while three video frames fit on the outer edge of the LD. For the first year, CLV discs were highly susceptible to crosstalk caused by sloppy optical focusing picking up video blanking signals from adjacent tracks. This was faintly visible as rolling transparent bars that moved down through the picture. The CLV format was re-engineered within a year to reduce/eliminate the crosstalk.

It was the BEST format for its time!
Old 11-03-06, 07:07 PM
Suspended

I keep my laserdisc player for:

Quo Vadis
El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire

... and the colourized King Kong! (unavailable in any other format)

Last edited by baracine; 11-04-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-03-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DiscGuy
It was the BEST format for its time!
Yet the general public ignored it. Most people I know never heard of them. It seems like the only country where they were on par (populartly wise) with VHS was Japan. Why couldn't it have been like that here? I can't find any thrift shops in my area that sell them. (Although I did find a Commodore Plus/4 computer at a local Goodwill store for $5, so that was a plus for today)
Old 11-04-06, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
I keep my laserdisc player for:

Quo Vadis
El Cid
The Fall of the Roman Empire

... and the colourized King Kong! (unavailable in any other format)
I hear you. I have the first three you listed (sans colorized Kong) and probably two dozen other movies that aren't available on DVD. Things like

Jane Eyre
Madame Bovary
Journey into Fear
Tom and Jerry box sets
The Glass Key
The Egyptian
The Kid from Brooklyn
Babes in Arms
Strike up the Band
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Mad Miss Manton
Hips, Hips Hooray

and all the great sounding concert discs.

Not to mention the many great Criterion discs with exclusive extras and commentary.