Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Godzilla buyers guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember seeing that set too and thinking that Godzilla kind of looked like the New Hampshire landmark the Old Man of the Mountain, before it collapsed anyway. Looks kind of goofy, IMO.

But regardless, had the set been subbed, I would likely have bought it. But since I don't speak Japanese, it was useless.
Old 09-10-06, 11:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by drainout
Where did you see it in person?

Wearing it would be awsome. I would love to get my hands on a full Godzilla suit, I have a dream, that for Halloween one year, I'll dress up my kids and nieces (all in the 1-4 range) and nephews as little Asian buisness men, then send them to ring doorbells. Once someone answers, I'll come stomping around the corner as Gin costume and they can all run around like crazy shouting "GODZILLA!, GODZILLA!"
Well I doubt they would rent it out to someone in Hawaii, but these guys have a pretty cool Godzilla costume.
Old 09-10-06, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that is excellent, one day I'll realize my dream, until then.....
Old 09-11-06, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drainout
Where did you see it in person?

Wearing it would be awsome. I would love to get my hands on a full Godzilla suit, I have a dream, that for Halloween one year, I'll dress up my kids and nieces (all in the 1-4 range) and nephews as little Asian buisness men, then send them to ring doorbells. Once someone answers, I'll come stomping around the corner as Gin costume and they can all run around like crazy shouting "GODZILLA!, GODZILLA!"
I saw it at animejungle in LA. When I first saw pics of that set, I didn't really want it because of the Godzilla head being goofy. When I saw it in person though, that definitely changed. The size of it seems to take away the goofy part of it (if that makes sense . . ). If they had been subtitled, that would hav pushed me over the edge and I would have picked it up. Willpower held out though . .
Old 09-11-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Will Classic Media ever tackle Destroy All Monsters and give us an undubbed version? I am hoping to have all the Godzillas made from 1984 to 1995 undubbed in the future, as they are pretty much the official sequels to the 1954 original. Any word on if that will happen?
Old 09-11-06, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Will Classic Media ever tackle Destroy All Monsters and give us an undubbed version?
ADV's rights to Destroy All Monsters will need to lapse before that would ever happen.

I am hoping to have all the Godzillas made from 1984 to 1995 undubbed in the future, as they are pretty much the official sequels to the 1954 original. Any word on if that will happen?
You'd think that Godzilla's 50th Anniversary a couple of years ago would have been the perfect time for Sony to redo the four movies that they have on double sided discs, but it didn't happen. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is of course out now with the Japanese track. Maybe if they ever put these out on HD we'll get the other four that way. As for the two that Sony does not have (Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla vs. Biollante), there's been no indication that the rights holders plan to release them on dvd.
Old 09-11-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Does HBO still hold the rights to Biollante?
Old 09-11-06, 10:10 PM

Miramax holds the rights to Biollante. I'm thinking they released the vhs through HBO Video? If you look at the vhs cover the Dimension logo is on it.
Old 09-11-06, 10:44 PM

Will Classic Media ever tackle Destroy All Monsters and give us an undubbed version? I am hoping to have all the Godzillas made from 1984 to 1995 undubbed in the future, as they are pretty much the official sequels to the 1954 original. Any word on if that will happen?
If you're region free/PAL capable, Destroy All Monsters is available in Australia in a subtitled, 16:9 edition from Madman, along with several other Godzilla titles.
Old 09-11-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question,does the new release of Gojira also include caption or subtitles on the U.S. version of the film?

I see that the previous Sony Music Wonder release had those features. And before I buy the dvd I would like to know. I really want to see the Japanese version,and can always pick up the old Sony release of the U.S. version for cheap if I have too. But to save some money,it would be nice if the newest release had all that in one package.
Old 09-11-06, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Question,does the new release of Gojira also include caption or subtitles on the U.S. version of the film?
It does not.
Old 09-12-06, 10:13 AM

I have quite a few Godzilla dvd's that I got off ebay. Quality on some is questionable but I have most of them

Final Wars is crap though.
Old 09-12-06, 04:14 PM
apl
Cool New Member

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but does the new Gojira disc play interlaced for anyone else?
Old 09-13-06, 03:42 AM

The Madman release in r4 of Destroy All Monsters is an infinitely superior release to the r1 from ADV. It has the original Japanese track, and is OAR anamorphic.

A multi-region player is your friend for life.
Old 09-13-06, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla 1985), there's been no indication that the rights holders plan to release them on dvd.
At least not in r1. Bollante can be obtained in r2; either as the original Japanese Toho release (obviously, no English track or subs), in France (but sadly with forced French subtitles). There is a recent release in Scandinavia, which has Finnish, Swedish and Danish subs for the Japanese only track but I don't know if the subs can be turned off.

Godzilla 1985 can only be found in Japan as a Toho release, or again, has recently appeared in Scandinavia like Biollante

and I have no idea about how to get discs from Scandinavia!

Last edited by Nebiroth; 09-13-06 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 10:13 AM

Is there a list out there detailing exactly what cuts/ changes were made to the American releases? Also, which DVDs include both the American and Japanese versions?
Old 09-19-06, 11:31 AM

As an update, it looks as though an r3 release of Godzilla vs. Biollante is on the cards; it is available on preorder from YesAsia.

According to the listing and the DVD label's website (which is mostly in Chinese!), the release will be widescreen, and more importantly, have English subtitles (alongside Cantonese and Mandarin, as I recall).