Star Wars OT Non SE 09.12.06 PART 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars OT Non SE 09.12.06 PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so uh... since these are officially released tomorrow... where is THE BEST place to get them? I know best buy has the keep case tin if you buy all of them... any other retailer doing anything like that?
Old 09-11-06, 07:15 PM

If you don't want the tin Circuit City has the best price at $15.00 each offering lithographs with them.
Old 09-11-06, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Does it have to just be preserved though, or does it have to be re-released at regular intervals?
Well, that, admittedly, is up for debate. While I would prefer that studios make a given film available in its original form, I admit that this sometimes may be impractical, or even impossible.

So you would call something like the Director's Cut of Star Trek: TMP an insult, since it used newly created effects to finish the film as was originally intended, but were unable to do so at the time? It's better respect to the people who worked on that film to keep it in the unfinished state it was released in?
Admittedly, I would like to see an original cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture available on DVD.

Ah, so here you're admitting it's more the context of the changes, than just changes in and of themselves, that determine whether a new edit would "insult" the contributors to a film.
I am not quite sure what you’re getting at, but I was not referring to the specific changes made, but the conditions and circumstances of how and why the changes were made.

This is the important part, and I agree here. For cultural and historical reasons the OUT should be preserved and made available. However, I still disagree that the new versions are an "insult" to the people who worked on the film. That just seems like trying to vilify Lucas in ways nobody would ever consider doing to another director.
Alright. After due consideration, I will concede that perhaps “insult” is too harsh of a word. And, as said before, I must admit that it really boils down the circumstances of each film in question.

But if I may address the Star Wars films specifically, (even more specifically, the first film) I would argue that Lucas has shown a certain amount of disrespect to those that helped to create the film. I will elaborate.

Star Wars was a revolutionary film, in several ways, but specifically, in the creation of special effects. This made it important in cinematic history. It changed the way the motion picture industry operated in regards to special effects, and the very effects that were created for Star Wars were a breakthrough in the industry. It was those effects that won an Academy Award.

But Lucas has been discarding and replacing those very scenes that made the first movie so important. In trying to make the movie something more, at the same time, he has made it something less. And when you also consider that he has been less than forthcoming in regards to a quality release of the Original films; I find that he has indeed shown disrespect to the individuals that worked so hard to make the Original Star Wars film what it was.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 09-12-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ceeece
If you don't want the tin Circuit City has the best price at $15.00 each offering lithographs with them.
So I can save 15 bucks and get cool lithographs with folders for each movie? I think I'm going to be all over that.
Old 09-11-06, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
Well, that, admittedly, is up for debate. While I would prefer that studios make a given film available in its original form, I admit that this sometimes may be impractical, or even impossible.

Admittedly, I would like to see an original cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture available on DVD.

No, no, no. You misunderstand me. I was not referring to the specific changes made, but the conditions and circumstances of why the changes were made.

Alright. After due consideration, I will concede that perhaps “insult” is too harsh of a word. And, as said before, I must admit that it really boils down the circumstances of each film in question.

But if I may address the Star Wars films specifically, (even more specifically, the first film) I would argue that Lucas has shown a certain amount of disrespect to those that helped to create the film. I will elaborate.

Star Wars was a revolutionary film, in several ways, but specifically, in the creation of special effects. This made it important in cinematic history. It changed the way the motion picture industry operated in regards to special effects, and the very effects that were created for Star Wars were a breakthrough in the industry. It was those effects that won an Academy Award.

But Lucas has been discarding and replacing those very scenes that made the first movie so important. In trying to make the movie something more, at the same time, he has made it something less. And when you also consider that he has been less than forthcoming in regards to a quality release of the Original films; I find that he has indeed shown disrespect to the individuals that worked so hard to make the Original Star Wars film what it was.

Very well put.
Old 09-12-06, 03:52 AM

Just how "limited" is this limited edition? Is it limited by 3-months, or by an actual number? Are the pack-ins from various retailers limited, too?

What is the difference in resolution (pixels of data, before stretch) for non-anamorphic vs anamorphic? As it stands, I'm going to be purchasing this set tomorrow, since I don't think they will re-release the originals any time in the near future (for at least for another 7-8 years).

I've been boycotting all Star Wars releases up until now (except the Ewok movies, since they weren't modified) since I only want the original version.

Last edited by Gamelore; 09-12-06 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Has there been a poll on here asking if anyone will be buying these?
Old 09-12-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
There's something of the sort over in the Bargains forum.
Old 09-12-06, 08:23 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gamelore
Just how "limited" is this limited edition? Is it limited by 3-months, or by an actual number? Are the pack-ins from various retailers limited, too?
On sale only until December.
Old 09-12-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I bought the Wal-Mart exclusives last night thinking they were the OT cleaned up. Now I learn that the OT is indeed there, but non-anamorphic and crappy quality. I am now debating on whether or not to try and return these (I have heard Wal-Mart will let you return anything), or to keep them. I have always wanted the OT in its unaltered state, but not with them looking crappy.

Should I keep or try to return?
Old 09-12-06, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Yup. I started one forever ago.
Old 09-12-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
....I learn that the OT is indeed there, but non-anamorphic and crappy quality....
Welcome to the party, Pal.
Old 09-12-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yup. I started one forever ago.
Thanks.

SWOT Poll
Old 09-12-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I bought the Wal-Mart exclusives last night thinking they were the OT cleaned up. Now I learn that the OT is indeed there, but non-anamorphic and crappy quality. I am now debating on whether or not to try and return these (I have heard Wal-Mart will let you return anything), or to keep them. I have always wanted the OT in its unaltered state, but not with them looking crappy.

Should I keep or try to return?
Keep them as a reminder of how you lived in a cave for 3-4 months as to not know the quality of the OT "extras" before buying them.
Old 09-12-06, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wannabe
The original architecture did not portray a penthouse apartment, so the view out the windows had visible spokes, as opposed to open sky with a cloud car.
Ooh. A minor continuity error in a film that 99.9% of the viewers never even noticed. That's never happened before, someone alert the Academy.

These reviews just confirm my opinion: This is half assed shovelware. Throw shit on a silver disk, and a bunch of fools will lap it up.

And you gotta love the anamorphic menus, ol' Georgy sure knows how to ram it in hard when he screws ya.
Old 09-12-06, 11:34 AM

Keep them as a reminder of how you lived in a cave for 3-4 months as to not know the quality of the OT "extras" before buying them.
Old 09-12-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
That'd be funny if it weren't sad. I'm seeing several posts like his (or people just finding out, but haven't bought yet) on this and other forums. I guess it just drives home the point about how ridiculous this release is, that people can't even grasp the idea that they would be released non-anamorphic.
Old 09-12-06, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the original editions in the "Definitive Collection" LD set that was all CAV, so it's the best quality copy of the films until these DVDs.

I love how people keep complaining about how crappy the new DVDs look, and yet when I toggle back and forth between the LD and the new DVDs, the DVD picture is noticeably cleaner, with less bleeding in areas of reds, browns and blues, and the detail level is much much better with a better level of contrast (blacks are richer, but not overly done).

So, I don't really see what all the grumbling is about, except based on hearsay...
Old 09-12-06, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wahlers
I have the original editions in the "Definitive Collection" LD set that was all CAV, so it's the best quality copy of the films until these DVDs.
CLV vs CAV really didn't matter re: PQ.
Old 09-12-06, 02:36 PM

now i can finally relive my childhood and i get the "yub-yub" song!!
Old 09-12-06, 02:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but CAV discs generally had noticeably better picture than CLV, as long as they were produced by the same company with the same print of the film.
Old 09-12-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wahlers

I love how people keep complaining about how crappy the new DVDs look, and yet when I toggle back and forth between the LD and the new DVDs, the DVD picture is noticeably cleaner, with less bleeding in areas of reds, browns and blues, and the detail level is much much better with a better level of contrast (blacks are richer, but not overly done).

So, I don't really see what all the grumbling is about, except based on hearsay...
Well I wish you hadn't posted that. I have the Definitive Collection and Faces LDs and had no intention of "upgrading" to these DVDs, but now I may have to reconsider.

Still, it's amazing how much Star Wars has fallen off my radar. I went to Worst Buy during lunch and saw the display with the DVDs and tin and looked at it for maybe 10 seconds. I felt no temptation whatsoever to pick them up. I guess the debacle known as the prequel trilogy "cured" me.
Old 09-12-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
For one of the strangest assaults on these DVDs, read this:

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review.php?id=160

The quality of the release is not even an issue for him (he's planning to burn DVDRs of his VHS copies). Instead, he seems upset that Lucas is making the OUT available, or that Lucas has the sheer gall to keep re-releasing this highly successful series.

Reading between the lines, the rage the man is experience seems to be anger at himself for buying on DVD two movies he didn't even like (Eps I and II) and versions of the OT he didn't even want (he repeatedly calls himself a "fanboy tool"). And now, he has redirected that anger at Lucas for being the cause of his previous unthinking consumerism. And it's led to the ironic situation of where he's denying himself the versions of these films he actually wants. It boggles the mind, really.
Old 09-12-06, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
For one of the strangest assaults on these DVDs, read this:

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review.php?id=160

The quality of the release is not even an issue for him (he's planning to burn DVDRs of his VHS copies). Instead, he seems upset that Lucas is making the OUT available, or that Lucas has the sheer gall to keep re-releasing this highly successful series.

Reading between the lines, the rage the man is experience seems to be anger at himself for buying on DVD two movies he didn't even like (Eps I and II) and versions of the OT he didn't even want (he repeatedly calls himself a "fanboy tool"). And now, he has redirected that anger at Lucas for being the cause of his previous unthinking consumerism. And it's led to the ironic situation of where he's denying himself the versions of these films he actually wants. It boggles the mind, really.
And I have to agree with him...from a certain point of view.
Old 09-12-06, 06:15 PM

if i may be so bold to ask an actual question instead of going off on a rant, does anyone have any pics of the retooled, anamorphic OT version, compared to the version that just came out? screencaps side by side would be extremely helpful in making my decision on whether to buy these or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.