Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars OT Non SE 09.12.06 PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Don't worry. The new thread wil be filled with the exact same shit.
I'll be there with bells on
Old 01-09-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'll be there with bells on
So will I. Though I suspect I will be praising the new set more so than most others. I've said before, I'm not opposed to whatever changes Lucas wants to make. Looking forward to seeing what else is different.

(Personally, I'm hoping for a more dramatic introduction to the Death Star (a re-shoot of the Star Destroyer approaching it) and replacing the lightsaber sound and visual in ANH with that of the PT (much deeper resonance and a sharp, solid beam).)

Fans keep pleading with Lucas to not alter the OT further-- but why? It's already been modified so much, many of the classic OT fans are disgusted by it. Are they hanging on to some final shred? They're not happy with the OT as it is now; further changes aren't going to help that. Unless Lucas decides to take back the more hated changes, which I don't see happening. Nor do I see him remastering the UOT for the new set-- but we might be surprised.

Do I want the UOT remastered and with anamorphic video? That's a given. And if, by the grace of all that is holy, Lucas does release a set exactly like that one day, I will, of course, be more than happy to buy. But for now, I have the SE on VHS (2000 re-release), the 4-disc 2004 set, and the Limited Edition 2006 releases with the OT as it was. And sometime this year, assuming the 30th anniversary set does materialize, I will have that, too. Can't complain.

--THX
Old 01-10-07, 03:39 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree 100%, THX.
Old 01-10-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should probably reiterate that I do enjoy many of the changes made to the SE's. If Lucas had released the original SE's in 97, than the 2004 versions, and whatever future versions he releases, I'd have bought them all. I just don't think it should be so hard to release good versions of the unaltered trilogy for archival's sake.

If the rumored bigbox contains that, I'll buy the whole thing kit and kaboodle, no matter the cost.
Old 02-16-07, 02:21 PM
CML
Cool New Member

Does anyone know if the Walmart exclusive editions (with graphic novel) are still available in stores? Also, what is the price on those sets?

Last edited by CML; 02-16-07 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 06:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CML
Does anyone know if the Walmart exclusive editions (with graphic novel) are still available in stores? Also, what is the price on those sets?
The few my Walmart had left after the Black Friday sale were priced around $20, but I imagine they'd be pretty hard to find now.
Old 02-16-07, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up the Best Buy Tin version less than a month ago, so you may be able to find the Walmart versions. You just have to go look in your area.
Old 02-17-07, 01:05 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No luck here in Canada in regards to the tin set. Had to get mine online. Yep supply is shit here
Old 02-17-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
No luck here in Canada in regards to the tin set. Had to get mine online. Yep supply is shit here
There's at least 5 copies of the tin at my local BB however, they are priced at $120.00 Canadian.
Old 11-25-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars OT Non SE 09.12.06 PART 2

So, as I continued my saga rewatch this past weekend, I put in the ROTJ disc from the very first DVD release (the silver box, 4 disc set) and watched in the bedroom.
I happened to notice several times where the movie seemed to stutter. Like it was missing frames and moving a little quick, but the sound didn't distort and there was no blurring or anything, it was like there were frames just missing.
I was watching on my Xbox One S, which is a pretty good disc player otherwise. I was wondering if anybody remembered any issues with these first discs like this?
Old 12-03-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Star Wars OT Non SE 09.12.06 PART 2

I remember The Empire Strikes Back DVD having trouble playing on some Sony players. I never had any problems on my Sony player, but I remember it being discussed on a couple forums.