Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Full Contact 6/27/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Contact 6/27/06

Anyone pick up this new re-issue from Tai-Seng? How's the DTS? The anamorphic transfer? The subtitle translation?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Old 06-29-06, 04:16 PM

Wow, I had no idea a new edition of this was coming out. Deepdiscountdvd lists one extra as an audio commentary with Ric Meyers, I don't think that as been on any previous version. My local bestbuy lists it as available so I'll let you know tomorrow how it stacks up in the audio/video department...if you already haven't gotten it that is.
Old 07-01-06, 03:44 PM

This might be the source they used for their previous dvd as there are specs and white lines throughout the movie. Heavy grain as well. Was there an original mono mix on the previous dvd? If so, then that's been dropped in favor for 5.1 tracks in Cantonese (also a DTS track), English, and Mandarin. Not really a big difference between the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks.

I'm pretty much used to the shoddy treatment given to the HK film sources so it wasn't that big of a distraction for me, however if you own the earlier Tai-Seng release or even the Columbia one I don't think I can recommend rebuying.
Old 07-01-06, 06:48 PM

Considering...

the overall poor quality of Tai Seng's work and the fact that it has a Ric Meyers' "commentary," I can't see why anyone would be interested. Even when Tai Seng is doing a simple port of another DVD, they can seldom even make a good one. If one person has set the bar at its lowest for accurate commentaries, it's Meyers. He's perhaps the least "expert" on any genre I've ever heard. FYI, Tai Seng simply imported the Mei Ah disc and slipped their sticker on it a couple of years ago. And even though it's older, it was superior to this release IMO.