Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Most Annoying DVD Menu's To Leave Running?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Most Annoying DVD Menu's To Leave Running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
There was one DVD (I can't remember which one) that I read actually played a whole song or the whole soundtrack or something.
Don Redman's "The Reefer Man" plays in it's entirety on Fox's Reefer Madness. I didn't mind it.
Old 06-21-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Insomnia...I believe it's the special features menu.
Old 06-21-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it's any WB dvd that automatically plays the movie after 90 seconds. IT's especially annoying when you put in the DVD and go get something to eat or drink while waiting for it to load up, only to come back and the movie has already started.
Old 06-21-06, 08:46 PM

madagascar
Old 06-21-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
There was one DVD (I can't remember which one) that I read actually played a whole song or the whole soundtrack or something.
I think The original release of Apollo 13 played the entire soundtrack. I own it but have never kept the menu up for very long.

The Rock: Criterion has always kinda annoyed me. The sound of heavy chains clanking around repeatedly starts to drive me crazy.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-21-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think The original release of Apollo 13 played the entire soundtrack. I own it but have never kept the menu up for very long.
That's the movie I was thinking of. Thank you!

Apollo 13 = NOT annoying

Although technically not annoying because of the menus, I do hate it when movies automatically start after XX minutes idle in the main menu.
Old 06-22-06, 01:31 AM

Chaplins Monsieur Verdoux - The menu plays the very sharp violin theme over and over again.
Old 06-22-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-files tv series menus are always so annoying when left on for to long with that theme music, and usually any adult film menu is enough to make you want to just unplug your machine immediately.
Old 06-22-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
For me, it's any WB dvd that automatically plays the movie after 90 seconds. IT's especially annoying when you put in the DVD and go get something to eat or drink while waiting for it to load up, only to come back and the movie has already started.
Ditto!
Old 06-22-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was one DVD (I can't remember which one) that I read actually played a whole song or the whole soundtrack or something. That one might not be too bad. I think it's one I own, not that that helps much.
Being John Malkovich plays an entire Bjork song during one of the sub-menus.
Depending on if you're a fan of hers or not, I suppose it could qualify...
Old 06-22-06, 12:10 PM

I remember being really annoyed by the Life Aquatic's menu. It was just one of Mothersbaugh's pieces on a loop. Worked great in the film, but not on the front-end.
Old 06-22-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's the movie I was thinking of. Thank you!

Apollo 13 = NOT annoying
What was especially cool about that APOLLO 13 DVD was that the music playing in that menu was not on the original soundtrack release- it was actually the complete 'for your consideration' type Oscar promotional score album.
Old 06-22-06, 04:16 PM
Bye

I actually don't mind menus that timeout and start the movie, since you can just start the movie over again when you get back from grabbing snacks. Granted, it can be difficult to convince certain players to start the movie from the BEGINNING instead of resuming from where you stopped it, but when you leave a DVD unattended, it's *much* better to have it start the movie over after a couple menu cycles instead of playing the same 30-second loop over and over again.

As for what's most annoying, the first thing that comes to mind is any volume of Sex and the City, mostly because my girlfriend will go to sleep watching it and the menu seems louder than the actual show, so when I'm trying to do computer work in the other room, I can hear that stupid theme (and the dialogue, which I agree can be particularly annoying) blasting out repeatedly from the bedroom.

The cool thing about a lot of DVDs is that once the movie has played through, it jumps to the Special Features menu instead of back to the main menu. This sometimes means it's just a different 30-second loop playing over and over again (as with the STAR WARS DVDs), but often it's a nice silent still menu that sits quietly until you come back into the room (or in my case, wake up). Of course in cases like that it's a good idea to have the player's screensaver function set to "On".
Old 06-22-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original Cowboy Bebop menus started playing the Tank! theme song (and quite loudly) whenver it looped, and the loop time was something like :20, so it got really annoying, really fast.

Conversely, the Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig submenus will play for the length of the entire musical track used for that menu (some are over 5 minutes long), and there's some good atmospheric music to be found.
Old 06-22-06, 05:48 PM
Cool New Member

The absolute most annoying menu I've heard is Finding Nemo.

I work at Bernies as a salesperson, we have it on our Mitsubishi 1080P dlp in the front. More than half my shift I'm standing at the front waiting for a customer to sell...I hear it all the time.

"WATCHING WATCHING JUST KEEP WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING WHAT YOU WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING JUST KEEP WATCHING"

It makes me want to snap it
Old 06-22-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Law and Order SVU.
Old 06-22-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All wrong. The worst by far is Wonder Showzen. I fell asleep during an episode and woke up from an awful nightmare.

"THAT'S RACIST!" Over and over again. For hours.
Old 06-22-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Apparently no one here has lost the romote during the dvd menu of City Hunter
I almost bashed in my tv

when Animatrix came out I used to just let that menu run over and over
Old 06-22-06, 11:38 PM

The Music Man

"76 Trombones" is mixed at least 20 Db louder on the main menu than it is in the film. You really can't leave it running for any length of time but are pretty much compelled to attend to it--it's so loud compared to anything else on the DVD.
Old 06-23-06, 08:28 AM

3rd disc of sopranos season 1-3 i actually enjoy the background music with the montage of the scenes running.
Old 06-24-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched mr. and mrs. smith with pitt and jolie the other night and it got annoying after the 3rd or 4th time while i was waiting for my girlfriend to get back from the kitchen.
Old 06-24-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mittman
I fell asleep during an episode and woke up from an awful nightmare.
I did the same with Disc 2 of Criterion's Testament of Dr. Mabuse. I remember waking up being hella creeped out!
Old 06-24-06, 07:14 PM

my friend and I were really drunk a couple years ago and passed out about 5 minutes into House of the Dead. After the movie finished, it reverted to the menu and for the next 10 hours the same ~10 seconds of music kept playing over and over. I heard it in my drunken stupor and remember being totally annoyed.
Old 06-24-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Shrek came to mind. It's funny so many people think of that one as well.
Next Friday comes in as a close second, though. I can't count how many times my roommate put that in after I had passed out, only to wake up to the menu. I hate that movie now.
Old 06-25-06, 01:01 AM

Harold & Kumar got a few laughs out of me, even after the high wore off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.