Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Most Annoying DVD Menu's To Leave Running?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Most Annoying DVD Menu's To Leave Running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i believe the original Field of Dreams dvd also played the full soundtrack on the menu screen
Old 08-03-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I found one of the most annoying ones ever - In the Line of Fire SE. When you put the DVD in, the first menu that comes up is a phone that just keeps ringing and ringing (and ringing) until you hit the enter/select button.
Old 08-03-08, 12:04 PM
Banned

I had to buy Drop Dead Fred for my girlfriend one time and after dozing off with the menu playing and coming in and out of being awake it is by far my most annoying menu. Fast-paced, annoying, weird-beat, music that restarts every couple of seconds mid "song"... Anyone seen this and agree?

I didn't even like the movie to begin with.
Old 08-03-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The World At War. Don't fall asleep while watching an episode, that creepy music will cause nightmares!
Old 08-03-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original Mallrats DVD came immediately to mind.
Old 08-03-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
The World At War. Don't fall asleep while watching an episode, that creepy music will cause nightmares!
That actually happened to me too!!!
Old 08-03-08, 03:33 PM

I'd like to add The Best of the Match Game to the list of annoying main menus. The theme, which doesn't complete itself, just repeats over and over again. It's hard on one's nerves.
Old 08-03-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What immediately came to my mind was Hogan's Heroes any season except the first. I fall asleep to these all the time and then have to fumble around for the remote when it returns to the menu to blast military drum beats.
Old 08-04-08, 07:04 AM

I'm fairly sure the first release of The Mummy (1999) plays the entire score if you leave the menu on, although it may be the special features menu.

I know this isn't exactly what everyone's talking about, but the menu on season 3 of the Spawn animated series (first complete series release) has a 10 or 15 second animation that has to run all the way through before you can choose anything, and this happens on every menu page, utterly annoying!
Old 08-04-08, 07:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Why is there an apostrophe in menus?
Because grammar and spelling are dying in our culture, thanks in part to MMOs and Instant Messaging. In full disclosure, I'll admit I somtimes use apostrophes in acronyms and initialisms like "MMO's" and "DVD's" because it can sometimes lend clarity. But "menu's" is just plain wrong unless you follow it up with something belonging to a menu, like "What is a DVD Menu's Most Annoying Characteristic?"

Back on topic, I found the menu for "House of 1000 Corpses" entertaining the first time but extremely annoying thereafter.
Old 08-04-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Shrek.

Donkey saying "Oooh, oooh, pick me! Pick me!" with Three Blind Mice playing in the background over and over.
my choice as well.
Old 08-04-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The criterion of "The Blob" is catchy with the theme song playing over and over, but you will never get it out of your head again, so beware (... of the blob, it creeps, and leaps and glides and slides across the floor right through the door and all around the wall a splotch, a blotch be careful of The Blob. Beware of the blob, it creeps and leaps..)
Old 08-04-08, 09:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I can't think of a specific example, but I hate menus that play scenes that spoil key plot points. I've had several "new to me" movies or TV shows ruined that way.
Old 08-04-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Candy Snatchers.

The "menu" starts off showing 30-45 full seconds of the film, which is essentially a recap of the events. For a first time viewer like myself I had to turn away until I had the option to hit "play" so as not to be spoiled.
Old 08-04-08, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alive741
The absolute most annoying menu I've heard is Finding Nemo.

I work at Bernies as a salesperson, we have it on our Mitsubishi 1080P dlp in the front. More than half my shift I'm standing at the front waiting for a customer to sell...I hear it all the time.

"WATCHING WATCHING JUST KEEP WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING WHAT YOU WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING WATCHING JUST KEEP WATCHING"

It makes me want to snap it
Yep. The interaction between the fish is not terribly annoying but the repeating Dori lines are terrible!!
Old 08-04-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I can't think of a specific example, but I hate menus that play scenes that spoil key plot points. I've had several "new to me" movies or TV shows ruined that way.
On The Sopranos discs, they have a synopsis (in text) of the upcoming episode. I have to shield my eyes from it, otherwise my brain will start reading it even though I don't want to know anything about it.

Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but I also HATE ESPN Classic "Drive-thrus" intros where they basically show you all the key points to the upcoming game at the beginning. I always have to cover my eyes and fast forward. I don't want to see the end of the no-hitter until the end of it!
Old 08-04-08, 12:01 PM

Cloverfield is AWFUL. The other night we sat down to watch it (with RiffTrax commentary) so while cuing up the RiffTrax we had to leave the menu running for a while. The menu makes you sick before you even start watching the movie. Lots of heavy breathing, screaming, and jerky camera over and over, and I wasn't even in the movie yet.

But, I'd say the BEST menu to leave running are LOST menus. It's like listening to one of those "Sounds of the Oceans or Jungles Soundtracks."
Old 08-04-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
When I load up Rifftrax I usually just put the menu on mute. That way I don't miss any of the pre-riffing talk.
Old 08-04-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Shallow Hal is the first one to come to mind for me.
Old 08-04-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Jericho Season 1 and 2.

The morse code audio was driving me crazy.
Old 08-04-08, 06:29 PM

Dont know if its been mentioned yet, but A Knight's Tale is EXTREMELY annoying.