Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

'Newsroom' season one glitch - was this fixed on later pressings?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not mentioned on the new review, so I'm curious. I have the original VSC disc (which the current edition apparently duplicates (i.e. they have the same menus and extras) and there's a glaringly awful video glitch in the third episode (@ 14:34).

Does the new edition correct this?
Old 06-20-06, 10:24 PM

I just replayed my original VSC version and didn't see anything obvious... could it be your DVD? What happens when you watch it?
Old 06-21-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the whole bottom half of the screen - pixellations and jerky motion for a couple of seconds, then the picture catches up to the top half. (I can even pause on the still frame/s)

Lo those many years ago, when I first bought it, I returned the disc to the store and it did the same thing on their (much cheaper) player. We went through five or six copies, and they all did the exact same thing at the exact same place. So I just took another copy. It might all be on the same batch of discs, but I assume it's an authoring error and not a physical problem.
Old 06-21-06, 08:19 AM

That's odd. My copy doesn't do that, although in another episode I notice a 2-3 second freeze (I think it was episode 5 or 6).
Old 06-21-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't notice any glaring video errors on my screener copy.
Like you said, it was probably an authoring error on that batch of DVDs. Bummer.
Old 06-21-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wnyx1440
That's odd. My copy doesn't do that, although in another episode I notice a 2-3 second freeze (I think it was episode 5 or 6).
There's an awkward layer change right in the middle of an episode. Not just in the middle of an episode, but right in the middle of a scene (they couldn't have used a commercial break?) It's a pretty unfortunate place to put it.
Old 06-22-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I played the section you cited - just as George, Mark, and Jeremy are walking down the hall discussing the CBC budget cuts - and I did notice a very minor, momentary blip in the middle of the picture. It must be the same defect that is showing up so prominently on your screen, but, I was playing it on an el cheapo Cyberhome player.

Slightly off topic: Those original '96-'97 episodes are some of the best TV of all time. Too bad Finkleman, in subsequent incarnations of the show, was not able to hold onto the initial cast. Tanya Allen was perfect as the cynical gofer, and Mark Farrell and Jeremy Hotz were much better as the sarcastic assistant producers than the intervening and current crop of actors. But, the past two seasons of the resurrected show have been much better than the TV movie and restarted series that followed a couple of years after the first run. Unfortunately, the show is no longer identifiably Canadian. It isn't filmed and set in the CBC building in downtown Toronto, and no mention is made of current Canadian events. It has become anonymous, not to mention nastier than it should be.