Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner DC SE comming 09 06!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Davy Mack
WB is REALLY rooking people who want the HD briefcase set. $60.00 more with no extra disc to sweeten the deal like the SD dvd set. The SD dvd briefcase which has the 5th disc is only $44.00 more...

And it would have been nice to see the new documentary done in HD and all the deleted scenes in HD...

Huh? What is the 5 disc HD and Blu-ray briefcase,and 5 disc non-brief cases editions then? It looks like they will have the 5th disc Workprint version of the film. So what are you complaining about? At least you don't 'have' to buy the overpriced Briefcase set to get the 5th disc like the SD crowd has to!
Old 08-10-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Right, a spinner. I know about the unicorn but I've only seen the international cut with extra violence. I believe that doesn't have the unicorn scene.
The origami unicorn is in all versions of the movie.
Old 08-10-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
So what are you complaining about? At least you don't 'have' to buy the overpriced Briefcase set to get the 5th disc like the SD crowd has to!
I'm with you Julie. This still is not sitting well with me. That a 5 disc SD digipak will not be offered, is really ridiculous.

In fact, why even offer the 4 disc set at all? The $ differential between the 4 disc SD set and the 5 disc HD set is
Old 08-10-07, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in agreement with Buck Naked.

Still, I really should have no say in this since I locked in my 45 bucks with WB's site already.

I hope you guys get favored though and at the last minute they change the 4-disc to the 5-disc (in SD).
Old 08-10-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As cool-looking as the briefcase and all the stuff looks, I wish we could purchase just the 5-disc digipak alone.
Old 08-10-07, 06:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jmj713
As cool-looking as the briefcase and all the stuff looks, I wish we could purchase just the 5-disc digipak alone.
Get the HD or BD version then. It's what I want to get.
Old 08-10-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can get an HD or BD then end up with a losing format.
Old 08-10-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I don't wanna sound a queer or nothin', but unicorns are kick ass!
Old 08-11-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not getting into either HD format for a while yet.
Old 08-11-07, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

Then get BD.
Old 08-11-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could get SD and wind up with a losing format. There are plenty of examples of mainstream formats becoming obsolete. Suffice it to say, now that this material has been compiled, you will see it again. The reason to buy a particular format now should rest on which can provide your best viewing experince here and now. 20 years from now I don't think it will matter a whole hell of a lot, especially after World War Terminus. You'll be too worried whether your neighbor thinks your electric sheep is the real deal or not.
Old 08-15-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell, I'll be getting the briefcase, even if I don't really need something like that collecting dust. It's still pretty cool. I've been waiting for the movie to be released since, well, DVD first came out. One of my favourites. I watch the director's cut every so often, and can't say that about most of my DVDs.

I'm not into HD or BR, though (yet). So, glad to see all these different options offered!
Old 08-17-07, 04:13 PM

In case any of you haven't yet discovered it... Warner Brothers launched a new site dedicated to Blade Runner this week:

WB Blade Runner Website
Old 08-19-07, 06:15 AM

Do we have a solid release date on the BlueRay 5 disc set?
Old 08-21-07, 07:55 PM

Just a quick note/comment :

EzyDVD.com.au (for us downunder folk) have commenced advertising the Blade Runner 5 Disc 'Case Set'. However - its currently priced at a WHOPPING $A189 !!!

Seeing that Amazon are currently selling this for $US55 - on current currency conversion - it works out to be around $A69 !! (not inc delivery).

I'm wondering why the huge price difference ???!!!!!

(Needless to say where I've ordered mine !!!)
Old 11-18-07, 06:18 PM

one month to go to Dec 18 release.

any more details seen around the web ??? any pics ??
Old 11-18-07, 08:39 PM

I am tempted...

...to get both SD and HD/BD versions. Why? Well, we're not getting the suitcase here in the Europeland at all. Instead, we get some kinda 5-disc steelcase of the SD version.

I want the suitcase, but I'd have to import it from North America. NTSC has lower resolution, so if I'm gonna import, I might as well get both the Region 2 SD (for immediate viewing) and import the HD/BD suitcase from North America for the future.

There's just one problem: I don't have a HD/BD capable player. Don't plan to get one either for a while. So if I buy the HD/BD suitcase and when I finally get the player, it turns out one of the discs doesn't work, what am I gonna do then? Does any webstore have a replacement policy spanning over five years?
Old 11-19-07, 06:19 AM
Banned

That, my friend, is exactly why either of the new formats are complete bullshit. You're gambling that the other format will lose, with your own money.
Old 11-19-07, 07:19 AM

Last time there was a format war it was between VHS and Beta. We all know how that turned out, but this one seems to drag on and and on...and I think I know why.

It's simply because of internet. Back then, huge majority really had no idea what was going on "behind the scenes" so to speak. They could only see what was on the shelves or what was advertised on TV or magazines. Sure there probably were special magazines back then detailing all this stuff, but they weren't anywhere near as accessible as a source than the internet is.

Imagine if there was no internet. How many of us would know who would support which format? How many of us would know about Paramount's withdrawal from BD support? Etc.

Hell, I'm beginning to think "screw resolution, get the SD suitcase anyway". I mean, even if I DO get a player, then what? I'm not gonna do anything with it. My TV doesn't have HD and I don't think I will be getting a new TV for a very, very long time either. Unless I get a player with a VGA output or something so I can watch it with a computer monitor which does support the high resolution, of course...but does any player have any? What player should I get? I want to have support for all three formats, and player/s that can be easily hacked into region free.
Old 11-19-07, 07:26 AM

What is the supply and demand going to be with this briefcase? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy it online or just go to best buy when it releases. But there's so many different releases who knows how many copies they'll have available.
Old 11-19-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Last time there was a format war it was between VHS and Beta. We all know how that turned out, but this one seems to drag on and and on...and I think I know why.
Drag on and on? It's only been 18 months or so, very little time when you think about it.
Old 11-19-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Last time there was a format war it was between VHS and Beta. We all know how that turned out, but this one seems to drag on and and on...
The VHS vs. Beta format "war" by most conservative calculations lasted at least 9 years, we're only in year 2 of BD vs HD DVD. And VHS vs. Beta wasn't the last format war. We've had since then: DVD vs DIVX, DVD-A vs. SACD, and DVD+R/RW vs DVD-R/RW, among others. Hell, even DVD vs. LD and DVD vs. VHS count as format "wars" that occurred.

As for the questions on what HD player to get, you'd be better served asking those in the HD Talk forum.
Old 11-19-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2
What is the supply and demand going to be with this briefcase? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy it online or just go to best buy when it releases. But there's so many different releases who knows how many copies they'll have available.
I decided to pre-order off Amazon for $54.99. It's 30% offf retail and there is no sales tax and free shipping. Since this is being released so close to X-Mas, I anticipate most of the B&M's will be short in supply. I recall the Superman Ultimate DVD set which was released around the same time last year, even though it was screwed up, was short in supply at Best Buy and Circuit City.
Old 11-19-07, 12:23 PM

Hmm, now I have a choice to make...when this set was first announced, I ws planning to sit on the sidelines of the format war until it was over, which I was expecting to be years, and I was figuring to pick up the SD version of Blade Runner. But since then, I bought an HDTV and now I'm planning to scoop up an HD-DVD player the next time Wallyworld has them for under $100. Since I believe Blu-ray is in its "last throes", I'm not sure whether to buy Blade Runner on SD or HDDVD, as this is one of my favorite movies, and one that I suspect will greatly benefit from the higher resolution of HD. But I don't want to end up double-dipping on a set this pricey if Blu-ray should turn things around and ultimately win out, so what to do, what to do....I guess I still need to see upconverted SD and HD of a newly mastered film side-by-side on the same type of TV to see how much difference there really is, and to see if I could live with the SD version and never feel the need to upgrade. I hear people say that HD and upconverted SD are virtually indistinguishable. I need to see that for myself.

Last edited by MrDs10e; 11-19-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrDs10e
I hear people say that HD and upconverted SD are virtually indistinguishable. I need to see that for myself.
With no offense, but these people are blind or idiots.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.