Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 672 Likes on 496 Posts
New Line/Warner must have poached some "creatives" from the Dragon Dynasty marketing stable!

Priceless!
Old 05-27-08, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shadowless Sword is good but its almost 4 years old. I don't understand why it takes so long to get these films out in the US.

The only Dragon Dynasty DVD I own is Hard Boiled and I'm still mad that it has dubtitles. How is it possible to screw up Hard Boiled? I guess they found a way.
Old 05-27-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
dvdbeaver reviews are up:

heroes of the east

come drink with me

both very positive.
If you could only pick one of these two, which would it be and why?
Old 05-27-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Depends on your taste.
Although both of these movies are considered "classics", they have their critics that for CDWM, do not like
Spoiler:
the singing aspect
or for HotE, they do not like
Spoiler:
the comedic aspects
of it.

IMHO, I would go with Heroes of the East if I had to choose one because how the Japanese and Chinese martial arts are treated. The way Lau Kar-leung presented both martial arts especially without looking down on the Japanese is simply great. The very facts that he used actual Japanese fighters/actors should be seen as an accomplishment in a Chinese movie.

Last edited by LorenzoL; 05-27-08 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen Come Drink With Me, so I can't speak for its quality, but Heroes of the East is IMHO the best of the Shaw Brothers' golden era (late 1970's -early 1980's). Certainly one of the ten greatest, if not THE greatest, HK martial arts films from that era, as many martial arts aficionados will agree.
Old 05-27-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I have and love both of them, but they're really from quite different subgenres of Shaw martial arts. Come Drink With Me is directed by King Hu, who I would argue was the Chinese director who came the closest to matching Kurosawa. It's a 60's swordplay movie, and as such it features a female lead, a lot of Peking Opera influences, colorful, not-too-realistic sets, and the fight choreography is rather quaint and formal. It's not really about real martial arts, but more like a Chinese Robin Hood-type tale.

Heroes of the East is set in the 20th century, is more grounded in reality, and the director and star were very accomplished martial artists in real life, and they put that up on the screen. There's much longer, faster and more intricately choreographed fight scenes in this one---it's more of a 'kung fu' movie. A lot of the early 70's Chinese kung fu movies featured Japanese villains, and they were pretty violent and bleak, with nearly everyone dead at the end, and usually the Japanese had no redeeming qualities. This director consciously moved away from that with this movie, showing that both the Chinese and Japanese had noble, honorable martial traditions ---although the Chinese style was a bit better, of course Lot's of great fight scenes, but I don't think there was one death.

Both these movies are very fun. I would consider Come Drink With Me to be more of a genre-defining classic, but Heroes of the East is pretty top-notch as well, especially if you want more hard-core martial arts.
Old 05-28-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received my copies of CDWM and HotE today.
The first thing that I noticed is that it does not contain trailers for the other Shaw Bros. movies like in the original batch. The discs only have the original trailers for CDWM and HotE.
Unfortunately, I have to wait until the weekend to watch both movies.
Old 06-02-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HKFlix is indicating a 09/09/08 date release for Fist of Legend. Now just to wait and see if this date holds up...
Old 06-07-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bey's latest blog is about the director of Fist of Legend Gordon Chan. Now all we need from DD is a firmed date for the DVD release...

http://www.dragondynasty.com/blog/show/87
Old 06-07-08, 11:56 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

What ever happened to The Killer? Has there been any word on a release anytime soon?
Old 06-09-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,819 Likes on 2,738 Posts
Just out of curiosity, who here has purchased every single release from Dragon Dynasty thus far? I know I have and it's mostly attributed to those God Damned numbered spines!! Now I have 2 copies of Rob B Hood (DD and HK version) and 2 copies of The Banquet (the scorpion title and original version) as well as 2 copies of SPL (original version and Kill Zone) Lastly, I also have 2 copies of Infernal Affairs 2 and 3.

If the DD titles didn't have these numbered spines, I probably wouldn't have double dipped on all these, but the completist in me needs them.
Old 06-09-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
I have about half the titles, which were ones I was really interested in. But those damn numbers!!! It makes me want to get a full set, and probably some titles I wouldn't have bought other wise. Its like Criterion for Martial Arts fans

I watched CDWM over the weekend, and enjoyed it. A little speed up in the first fight, but overall a good movie.
Old 06-09-08, 07:54 AM
Banned

I have almost every Dragon Dynasty title. I am missing:
King Boxer (Waiting for a Price Drop)
City of Violence
P.T.U. (Waiting for a price drop)
Flashpoint: 2-Disk (Waiting for a price drop)
Above the Law.

SO, I'm missing five out of like 30 titles. Im also including Invisible Target since Ive already ordered that one as well and ts already shipped. I've only watched maybe like 6 or seven titles but I've enjoyed them very much. Great commentaries and interviews.
I admit the spines are like trading cards and make me wanna collect them all and I will as long as the special features continue to be great.
Old 06-09-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I have almost every Dragon Dynasty title. I am missing:
King Boxer (Waiting for a Price Drop)
City of Violence
P.T.U. (Waiting for a price drop)
Flashpoint: 2-Disk (Waiting for a price drop)
Above the Law.

SO, I'm missing five out of like 30 titles. Im also including Invisible Target since Ive already ordered that one as well and ts already shipped. I've only watched maybe like 6 or seven titles but I've enjoyed them very much. Great commentaries and interviews.
I admit the spines are like trading cards and make me wanna collect them all and I will as long as the special features continue to be great.
The Best Buy I go to had Flashpoint and Above The Law in a two-pack for 20 bucks. Might wanna look into that.
Old 06-09-08, 06:23 PM
Banned

^Cool. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-09-08, 08:34 PM

I have every single release so far and Invisible Target is in the mail from Amazon. Like above I'm a sucker for the spine numbers, but to be honest I've watched all of the releases and I've enjoyed the selection of titles so far.
Old 06-09-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always wanted to start watching Martial Arts films, but never knew where to start. Dragon Dynasty was my salvation, as far as that goes. I have 11 releases as of now, and plan on getting them all. I like all the ones I have now (thankfully), but the simple fact that they are numbered makes me want to get them all no matter what.
Old 06-14-08, 09:02 PM

Hi. I was wondering if all Dragon Dynasty releases came with slipcovers? If not, does someone have a complete list of ones that do?
Thanks
Old 06-14-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^^
the "ultimate edition" ones have slip covers the rest don't
Old 06-14-08, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnsun
Hi. I was wondering if all Dragon Dynasty releases came with slipcovers? If not, does someone have a complete list of ones that do?
Thanks
Hard Boiled
Flashpoint
Invisible Target
Legend of the Black Scorpion
Fatal Contact
Dog Bite Dog (?) - Not positive on this one. Mine didnt come with one.

I don't think all of the 2-disk DD titles have a slipcover. Born to Fight and Kill Zone don't have slipcovers I don't believe.
Old 06-15-08, 01:00 AM

A Invisible Target review over at dvdcorner:
http://www.dvdcorner.net/reviews/dvd...e_edition.html
Old 06-15-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
The ones I have with slip covers:

Killzone
Hard Boiled
City of Violence
Robin B Hood
Legend of the black scorpion
Flashpoint
Old 06-15-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 244 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
I've always wanted to start watching Martial Arts films, but never knew where to start. Dragon Dynasty was my salvation, as far as that goes. I have 11 releases as of now, and plan on getting them all. I like all the ones I have now (thankfully), but the simple fact that they are numbered makes me want to get them all no matter what.
If you want to expanded your collection of more Martial Arts films, then you should check out Fox/Fortune Star. Unfortunetly they use dubtitles instead of using real subtitles but they are all digitally remasterd giving you the best picture quality which I would rather have. Here a list what you should get.

Magnificent Butcher- My favorite, some fantastic fight scenes.
Knockabout - Yuen Biao is great in this one.
The Prodigal Son - Another favorite Yuen Biao's film.
Spooky Encounters - Can't believe Sammo Hung can do these move with his big size.
Old 06-16-08, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 5 right now, and I liked them all (although I thought Protector was kind of silly and edited really awkwardly). I just ordered 10 more, all blind buys. Really looking forward to seeing PTU, Police Story, Kill Zone and King Boxer.
Old 06-16-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by comanche_doyle
I have 5 right now, and I liked them all (although I thought Protector was kind of silly and edited really awkwardly)
Which is why you leave the first disc in the case, and go straight to Tom Yum Goong, the original Thai cut of the movie on the second disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.