Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
On the latest blog entry, Bey Logan indicated that DD is working on Flashpoint.
Old 08-20-07, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched "Hard Boiled" for the first time....absolutely aweful. Definately some innovative gunplay for its time but the script was written by a 3rd grader. It's an action movie but at least some decent story would be nice.
Old 08-21-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by brocklanders
Just watched "Hard Boiled" for the first time....absolutely aweful. Definately some innovative gunplay for its time but the script was written by a 3rd grader. It's an action movie but at least some decent story would be nice.
Are you insulting John Woo? He wrote and directed the movie and by no means has the mentality of a 3rd Grader. I have to admit the movie isn't for everyone. But, it's an action classic for most Asian movie fans.
Old 08-21-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Are you insulting John Woo? He wrote and directed the movie and by no means has the mentality of a 3rd Grader. I have to admit the movie isn't for everyone. But, it's an action classic for most Asian movie fans.
Don't feed the troll DJariya.
Old 08-21-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Well I just finished Police story,and I am about to start Police Story 2, but I have a question? Isn't Supercop "Police Story 3", and will it ever see a DD release?
Police Story 3 is Supercop, and I don't know if the Weinsteins retained the rights to it or not.
Old 08-21-07, 03:37 PM

Wouldn't "absolutely aweful" mean it was good? Like it filled you with awe while you were watching it?
Old 08-21-07, 03:40 PM

I'm far from a troll, I really wanted to love this movie as I liked "Bullet in the Head". Hard Boiled and Last Hurrah of Chivalry are seriously overrated IMHO. I realize its sacrilege to criticize John Woo but I just think he is a bad director with some innovative ideas for gunplay in a movie. To call him innovative in that area is accurate but he is just not cut out to be a director and I would guess is one of the reasons why he doesnt put out movies any more. He should just be a stunt coordinator or AD. I know its peer pressure and expected for fans to love John Woo movies but when you watch Hard Boiled it looks as if it was made in 1983 instead of nearly a decade later.
Old 08-22-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Times has the list of all of the features for the upcoming DD release of "City of Violence".

The Weinstein Company and Genius Products have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The City of Violence on 4th September 2007 priced at $24.95 SRP. Director Ryoo Sueng-Wan (Crying Fist) brings you this action thriller which follows a pair of high school friends who reunite to investigate the murder of one of their own, hurtling toward an epic two-against-the world showdown where they will try to take vengeance at any cost.

Released on the Dragon Dynasty label, this 2-disc Ultimate Edition DVD is packed with over three hours of bonus material including deleted/alternate scenes and cast interviews (additional details below).

Features include:

* Korean and English audio
* English and Spanish subtitles
* Deleted/Alternate Scenes With Optional Commentary By Director and Star
Ryoo Seung-Wan
* Performance Management: Interviews With The Cast Of The City Of Violence
* Blow By Blow: A Behind-The-Scenes Exploration Of The Action Scenes From
The City Of Violence
* The Evolution Of Action featurette
* Creating Emotive Action With Action Director and Star Jung Doo-Hung
* The City Of Violence: Development And Pre-Production
* The Art Of War: Conceptual Designs
* Designer Action: The Development Of The Artwork For The City Of Violence
* Battle Plans: Technical Tests And Pre-Training
* Two Against The Rest: The Making Of The City Of Violence
* A Walk On The Wild Side
* Council Of War: A Commentary On The Movie's Action Sequences With Action Director Jung Doo-Hung
* Behind-The-Scenes At The Venice Film Festival
* Feature Length Audio Commentary By Director And Star Ryoo Seung-Wan
* Original Teaser Trailer
* Original Korean and US Theatrical Trailer
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65647
Old 08-22-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm far from a troll, I really wanted to love this movie as I liked "Bullet in the Head". . . but I just think he is a bad director with some innovative ideas for gunplay in a movie. . . . but he is just not cut out to be a director and I would guess is one of the reasons why he doesnt put out movies any more.
Old 08-22-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts
Hard Boiled and Last Hurrah of Chivalry are seriously overrated IMHO. I realize its sacrilege to criticize John Woo but I just think he is a bad director with some innovative ideas for gunplay in a movie
Do people actually praise Last Hurrah of Chivalry? I know a lot of people that don't like the movie.

Broken Arrow and Paycheck.

Trust me, with those two turds it's easier for people to criticize John Woo than you think. I love John Woo's work and he is one of my favorite directors, but I have never forgotten that he directed those. Though I enjoyed the film, he was also heavily criticized for directing MI:2 as well. If anything fans do criticize him, if only for a lot of the movies he started to make in America.

Say what you will but Hard Boiled is a action classic (as DJariya mentioned)

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-22-07 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have loved to have seen Woo do an American movie more in check with the Peckinpah-esque style he had with the Better Tomorrow movies. Not that The Killer, Hard Boiled, and Face/Off are nothing short of off-the-charts awesomeness, but...
Old 08-22-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I really loved Broken Arrow--I just wish we'd get a decent anamorphic release of that one.

As far as Last Hurrah for Chivalry, this is the 3rd version of the movie I've bought, including VHS, so yeah, I like it . If you're not a die hard kung fu movie fan, then yeah, I can see not being overwhelmed by it---it doesn't really transcend the genre. But WITHIN the genre, it's a really solid old-school kungfu movie, IMO. Great swordplay. Fung Hak-On is a long-time veteran of lots of classic KF movies, and it's great to see him in a prominent role, and Wei Pai also gets more screen time than he did with the venoms in the Shaw pics.

I would also give a very solid recommendation to DD's release of My Young Auntie, as well. Granted, I am a big Shaw fan, but even without the bias I think that movie is just brimming with creative energy. Hui Ying Hung is right up there with the all-time best kung fu women---sexy, a great screen fighter, and a solid actress. The comedy works for me in this one, and there's a good deal of awesome fight scenes, with director Lau Kar Leung in his prime.
Old 08-23-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Woo's American productions have been hit or miss. I absolutely loved Face/Off and I thought Hard Target and Broken Arrow were solid. His next production appears to be a mainland China period piece and I wish him well with that. Don't know the worldwide appeal of it.
Old 08-23-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I would also give a very solid recommendation to DD's release of My Young Auntie, as well. Granted, I am a big Shaw fan, but even without the bias I think that movie is just brimming with creative energy. Hui Ying Hung is right up there with the all-time best kung fu women---sexy, a great screen fighter, and a solid actress. The comedy works for me in this one, and there's a good deal of awesome fight scenes, with director Lau Kar Leung in his prime.
I agree. I wasn't expecting much out this movie and to be honest some of the humour is uneven but I ended up loving Kara Hui performance. I also loved the "wacky" cameo by Gordon Liu.
Old 08-23-07, 11:02 PM

My Young Auntie

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I will second the recommendation. This is a great, fun film. Great choreagraphy, variety, etc. Well worth the purchase.
Old 08-25-07, 09:35 PM

I got the City of Violence DVD. I don't have the Korean disc so I don't know how it compares.

Quick rundown:

The commentary is thankfully the original one found on the Korean DVD with the director. It's in Korean with optional English subtitles.

The picture quality looks fine and the Korean audio tracks (DD and DTS 5.1) from the quick checks I did didn't seem to have any problems. The English dub here is very good. I wish Brian White would employ this particular group to do the dubs on the Fortune Star films instead of the people that FS gets since those are barely listenable. The subs are not dubtitles this time.

The second disc is quite stacked with extras. It's a whole bunch of featurettes divided into pre-production, production, and post. I did a quick look at a listing from some online shop of the Korean set and would imagine that all of the extras from the Korean disc made it here and would be surprised if there is anything left out.

Overall a very good package. This seems to be one of the better releases from Dragon Dynasty and I see little to fault here. Then again, I haven't gone through the entire package all the way through nor do I have the Korean set to compare it to. In any case, it'll be interesting to see how it compares with the upcoming UK 2 disc set from Premier Asia.
Old 08-26-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Running Man
I got the City of Violence DVD. I don't have the Korean disc so I don't know how it compares.

Quick rundown:

The commentary is thankfully the original one found on the Korean DVD with the director. It's in Korean with optional English subtitles.

The picture quality looks fine and the Korean audio tracks (DD and DTS 5.1) from the quick checks I did didn't seem to have any problems. The English dub here is very good. I wish Brian White would employ this particular group to do the dubs on the Fortune Star films instead of the people that FS gets since those are barely listenable. The subs are not dubtitles this time.

The second disc is quite stacked with extras. It's a whole bunch of featurettes divided into pre-production, production, and post. I did a quick look at a listing from some online shop of the Korean set and would imagine that all of the extras from the Korean disc made it here and would be surprised if there is anything left out.

Overall a very good package. This seems to be one of the better releases from Dragon Dynasty and I see little to fault here. Then again, I haven't gone through the entire package all the way through nor do I have the Korean set to compare it to. In any case, it'll be interesting to see how it compares with the upcoming UK 2 disc set from Premier Asia.

So no bey logan commentary. if that is so that will suck because I love his commentaries
Old 08-26-07, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm was in Seoul, South Korea 3 days ago (currently traveling through Asia and am currently in Taiwan) Could not find a single decent DVD shop there.....I was trying to look for City of Violence and couldn't find it.

Looking forward to picking up the DD version when I get home.
Old 08-26-07, 05:48 AM

So no bey logan commentary. if that is so that will suck because I love his commentaries
There's no need for him. He knows little about Korean cinema in the first place and there was already a commentary with the director who actually made the film on the Korean disc.
Old 08-26-07, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad to hear that the release of "City of Violence" is one of DD better efforts.
Old 09-03-07, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I realize its sacrilege to criticize John Woo but I just think he is a bad director with some innovative ideas for gunplay in a movie. To call him innovative in that area is accurate but he is just not cut out to be a director and I would guess is one of the reasons why he doesnt put out movies any more.
lol, wow. I know it's been said that people are entitled to their opinions, but after reading stuff like this I sometimes wonder if that's such a good idea.
Old 09-06-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the double pack of The Protector/Born to Fight at my local Walmart for $13.72 (thanks to a heads up from a post in the Bargains forum) and was able to use the $3 off coupon even though it expired a day ago. She just scanned it, and it worked...$10.72 for both movies, not bad.
Old 09-06-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm was in Seoul, South Korea 3 days ago (currently traveling through Asia and am currently in Taiwan) Could not find a single decent DVD shop there.....I was trying to look for City of Violence and couldn't find it.

Looking forward to picking up the DD version when I get home.
From all I hear the home DVD market in S Korea is very small and a large percentage of their sales come from exports.
Old 09-06-07, 08:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so has any one watched DD's version of Police Story 2 - any good?
Old 09-06-07, 12:28 PM

For those of you who have seen it...How is City of Violence? I remember reading some reviews awhile back on Twich, and remember that they were kind of disappointed by it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.