DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Backdraft SE -- 9/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/465621-backdraft-se-9-12-a.html)

digitalfreaknyc 06-24-06 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Love the movie, but for me this is a case of a rerelease being too close to HD. What would've been a purchase last yr is a wait for HD this yr. Glad to hear about all the extras too.

Is the Backdraft attraction no longer at Universal Studios? That's a bummer...at least I did it twice.

Yes the attraction is. I just went on it a month ago.

And you don't have to wait for the HD version. It's coming out on the same day. :)

Harold Wazzu 06-24-06 05:09 PM

2 discs from Amazon!
I only see a single disc release...

Price looks decent though

digitalfreaknyc 06-24-06 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
I only see a single disc release...

Price looks decent though

Did you click on the link i provided? Look at the artwork.

dolphinboy 06-24-06 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yes the attraction is. I just went on it a month ago.

You went on it or you went through it?

'Cause if you went on it, I'm guessing you won't ever need laser hair removal treatments again. ;)

digitalfreaknyc 06-24-06 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You went on it or you went through it?

'Cause if you went on it, I'm guessing you won't ever need laser hair removal treatments again. ;)

Duh.

Dork.

I went through it. :)

Harold Wazzu 06-24-06 08:10 PM

Did you click on the link i provided? Look at the artwork.
Ah, i see it now. Amazon only lists 1 disc in the specs...

gerrythedon 06-26-06 03:44 AM

Universal Studios has finally revealed the extras for their upcoming Backdraft: Anniversary Edition. The two-disc set will include an Introduction by director Ron Howard, deleted scenes, "Igniting the Story," "Bringing Together the Team," "The Explosive Stunts," "Creating the Villain: The Fire" and "Real Life Firemen, Real Life Stories" featurettes. The film itself arrives with a new anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Retail will be $19.98. The HD-DVD will retail $29.98.

DAVISDVD.com

Fincher Fan 06-26-06 05:33 AM

Sounds good! Thanks for the update!

gerrythedon 06-26-06 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Sounds good! Thanks for the update!

no problem.

I will be gettting the DVD version, and my brother will get the HD version.

dolphinboy 06-27-06 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Universal Studios has finally revealed the extras for their upcoming Backdraft: Anniversary Edition. The two-disc set will include an Introduction by director Ron Howard, deleted scenes, "Igniting the Story," "Bringing Together the Team," "The Explosive Stunts," "Creating the Villain: The Fire" and "Real Life Firemen, Real Life Stories" featurettes. The film itself arrives with a new anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Retail will be $19.98. The HD-DVD will retail $29.98.

DAVISDVD.com

I wish that they had included a home version of the Universal Studios attraction; maybe some matches and lighter fluid at least.

Harold Wazzu 06-27-06 09:36 AM

I will probably have to pick this up since the current version is one of the early Universal releases which has been known to crap out on people for no reason...

Just wish it had DTS, would sound quite good...but we'll see what they do with the DD track...

Julie Walker 06-27-06 12:50 PM

I still don't see how anyone could see the movie as a negative image of firefighters,but that's just me.

And I also don't understand all the DTS fanboys. I've seen films in theaters in both formats and could never tell a difference between the two. So if I saw a film in DTS in theaters and it was dolby digital 5.1 only on dvd. I didn't piss and moan about it since the film still sounded great to my ears.

Big Worms 06-27-06 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
... to my ears.

You said the reason why. :)

GuessWho 06-27-06 05:12 PM

I still don't see how anyone could see the movie as a negative image of firefighters
Spoiler:
maybe because one of them is an arsonist

Julie Walker 06-27-06 10:41 PM

Guesswho,that's one person,not all of them. So I never took anything 'bad' away from the film in terms of my views on firefighters.

So to say the film is a highly negative representation of fire fighters is stretching it.

Artman 06-28-06 12:39 AM

Yeah, just look how many movies are about corrupt cops... But about the only criticism I can think of for the film is that it is very "hollywood-ish" in it's story, script (sex on a firetruck?)... Though I didn't like Ladder 49 nearly as much, it's probably a little more "real" in tone.

lamphorn 06-28-06 07:21 PM

The choice of release date is really crass. You can just hear the weasle in the boardroom "You see, it'll be the 5th anniversary of 9/11!! Everyone will fall in love with firemen again and buy our DVD!!! Score!!".

They should just call it the "9/11 Anniversary Edition" and be upfront.

Julie Walker 06-28-06 10:58 PM

I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. Sometimes releases just 'happen' like this. And regardless at least we're finally getting a 16.9 enhanced print of the film after a decade of nothing but the non-16.9 dvd.

gerrythedon 06-30-06 10:31 PM

DAVISDVD reports that this has been bumped a week. New date is 9/19 [for both DVD & HD-DVD]

ReduxGuy 09-12-06 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
DAVISDVD reports that this has been bumped a week. New date is 9/19 [for both DVD & HD-DVD]

I wish I had known that back then. At least I wouldn't have been on a wile goose chase all morning.

However, they had it at FYE, so I'm not complaining.

Ted Kontos 09-12-06 11:22 AM

Amazon has shipped my HD Backdraft to arrive tomorrow, so they haven't been delayed, at least there.

Wick 09-12-06 05:54 PM

I really need to get this set. I've always loved this movie.

digitalfreaknyc 09-12-06 06:52 PM

Guys.

43 minutes of deleted scenes.

Looks grainy and sounds sweet. Of course, I have the HD version.:)

Robert 09-12-06 07:20 PM

Picked this up at at Best Buy today. It wasnt on the shelf, it was on a cart. I asked the sales drone if I could buy it and she said yes. It comes with a nice shiny slipcase with raised lettering on the front.

ShaunoftheDead 09-13-06 09:30 AM

anyone see these at Circuit City?