DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Backdraft SE -- 9/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/465621-backdraft-se-9-12-a.html)

Skoobooz 05-16-06 10:40 AM

Backdraft SE -- 9/12

No details yet, but DVDActive has the basic story: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/backdraft.html

digitalfreaknyc 05-16-06 10:41 AM

BOOYAH!

Gimme it in HD and we're set!

Dan1boy 05-16-06 10:45 AM

what, no 2-disc? a great film like this deserves all the bells and whistles!

Skoobooz 05-16-06 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
what, no 2-disc? a great film like this deserves all the bells and whistles!

There are no details yet. It may be two discs.

Big Worms 05-16-06 10:51 AM

Sweet news!

Willh51 05-16-06 11:23 AM

Great news, I've been wanting this.

I loved the line in Poseidon where Russell says that he used to be a firefighter.

digitalfreaknyc 05-16-06 11:25 AM

Guess I'll be picking this up with Star Wars ;)

toddly6666 05-16-06 11:29 AM

how cute...a firemen movie released a day after 9/11. Now I bet the marketers did not plan on that little ccoincidence!

dvd_luver 05-16-06 11:30 AM

I never picked up the current release out now. I don't know, I wanted to, but it was just one of those things I guess. Glad something better will be made available shortly and I won't have to do any upgrading if I choose to buy.

Geofferson 05-16-06 11:48 AM

Nice - definite buy for me. :up:

DonnachaOne 05-16-06 11:53 AM

"Did the fire look at you?" edition, with Donald Sutherland bobblehead?

OldBoy 05-16-06 12:22 PM

oh wow! another in my SE thread gets it's due. My job is done!
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=455525

Fok 05-16-06 12:41 PM

Sweet, been waiting for this for years

jdslater1 05-16-06 01:11 PM

NO ONE says "goddammit!" better than Kurt. FACT.

Dane 05-16-06 01:21 PM

Great news! This really needs a DTS soundtrack.

Mr. Cinema 05-16-06 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
BOOYAH!

Gimme it in HD and we're set!

100% agreement.

Giles 05-16-06 01:48 PM

would be curious to see if and when it's announced if it's the standard theatrical cut or the expanded tv cut.

bunkaroo 05-16-06 02:12 PM

Hopefully Universal will give a little love to their other Ron Howard Universal titles-c'mon Parenthood and The Paper!

lotsofdvds 05-16-06 02:13 PM

Oh man! 2006 is the Year of My Last Few VHS Tapes Being Thrown Out! :banana:

digitalfreaknyc 05-16-06 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Oh man! 2006 is the Year of My Last Few VHS Tapes Being Thrown Out! :banana:

2006 is the Year of My Last Non-Anamorphic Discs Being Thrown Out! :banana:

cdoug57 05-16-06 03:12 PM

Looking to upgrade this title for quite a while now. Both my wife and I thought of Backdraft with the current line in Poseidon.

Artman 05-16-06 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Hopefully Universal will give a little love to their other Ron Howard Universal titles-c'mon Parenthood and The Paper!

..and Far and Away!

fryinpan1 05-16-06 05:21 PM

I may blind buy this for my De Niro collection. I never bought the previous bare bones non-anamorphic release.

talemyn 05-27-06 01:51 PM

And there it is!!! :banana:

Bill Geiger 06-11-06 02:46 PM

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4592/backdraft3ul.jpg

tonymontana313 06-11-06 02:49 PM

That cover is pretty sweet!

needlz 06-11-06 11:56 PM

Nice cover!!! I wonder why this SE took so long? Anyways, an actual re-release that I have been waiting for! I really hope we get a tight DTS soundtrack!!!

LorenzoL 06-12-06 12:04 AM

Nice looking cover. :up:

digitalfreaknyc 06-12-06 12:11 AM

I wanna see what it looks like with red plastic above and below it ;)

dolphinboy 06-12-06 01:34 AM

Anyone remember the Backdraft experience at Universal? It was pretty cool.

Can't wait to pick this one up.

gotrice487 06-12-06 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Anyone remember the Backdraft experience at Universal? It was pretty cool.

Can't wait to pick this one up.

That experience was awesome! I would go in there and then to Jurassic Park to cool off ;) I'll definitely be picking this one up

FILMCZY 06-12-06 09:35 AM

Sorry, I'll skip this one. No offense to firefighters but movies about firefighters are always the same. A major character will die leaving a spouse and two to three kids, there will be some sort of memorial scene followed by a scene in a bar where everyone talks about sacrifice, a floor or another part of a burning building will collapse trapping one or more characters, some old-time firefighter will pull a practical joke on the "newbie" at the station house, the word "proud" will be spoken numerous times throughout, the "fire effects" will look fake (as do ALL movie "fires"--the flames always look like they are coming from a gas stove). I mean there is just not a whole lot you can do with this genre as opposed to say cop movies. But I'm happy that those of you who like BACKDRAFT are getting a SE.

digitalfreaknyc 06-12-06 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
Sorry, I'll skip this one. No offense to firefighters but movies about firefighters are always the same. A major character will die leaving a spouse and two to three kids, there will be some sort of memorial scene followed by a scene in a bar where everyone talks about sacrifice, a floor or another part of a burning building will collapse trapping one or more characters, some old-time firefighter will pull a practical joke on the "newbie" at the station house, the word "proud" will be spoken numerous times throughout, the "fire effects" will look fake (as do ALL movie "fires"--the flames always look like they are coming from a gas stove). I mean there is just not a whole lot you can do with this genre as opposed to say cop movies. But I'm happy that those of you who like BACKDRAFT are getting a SE.

One

Big

Huge

:crap:

Fincher Fan 06-12-06 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I wanna see what it looks like with red plastic above and below it ;)

Yeah, yeah rub it in!

Any rumours floating around as to what we might expect to see on the disc(s)?

sparks 06-12-06 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY

FILMCZY

Let me fill you in on a little bit of what went on when that movie hit the theaters in reference to the fire service.

To most fire departments, including mine, it did a great disservice to us. We are nothing like any of those characters and we don't do things like what went on in the movie. We pride ourselves in the excellent service that we provide to the citizens of the City of Los Angeles.

I remember reading quite a few fire releated publications and not one had anything good to say about the movie. It gave the fire service a black eye. The one film that did give the public an awareness of what we do and that was the TV show "EMERGENCY!" When we finished lunch, we'd go to the rec room and turn on the TV to watch the "EXPERTS" as we used to call them!!!

They may do things like that in New York, but here in the western states we are a 21st century fire service, not turn of the century fire service.

Since you're not a firefighter, you have no concept of what goes on in a fire house or at a fire but what you say above is probably what you've seen from the movies and that's most peoples conception.

Now, most all fire effects look phoney because there is so much smoke that you wouldn't be able to see anything, hence all the fire.

The only thing that I have personally from that film is the State of California using the picture from the poster on it's personalized plates. On the left of the plate is the firefighter silouetted with fire and 6 spaces. On the bottom it's written "FIREFIGHTER." Mine says BLZNVT and it's on my Corvette.

One other story, I was talking one day to the SFX man from the film and he was saying that it took them "2 weeks" to rig (completely strip the rig of everything) that fire engine to slide down the street. I then told him that it took a "second" for a 16 year old kid in a stolen Honda, going about 100 MPH and t-boning one of our engines that weighs "19 TONS" to flip this engine on to its roof and shove it 150 feet from where the kid hit it!!! Of course the kid was killed and the all the firefighters survived, they were buckled in.

I'm skipping this one too!

Sparks

d2cheer 06-12-06 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by sparks
FILMCZY

Let me fill you in on a little bit of what went on when that movie hit the theaters in reference to the fire service.

To most fire departments, including mine, it did a great disservice to us. We are nothing like any of those characters and we don't do things like what went on in the movie. We pride ourselves in the excellent service that we provide to the citizens of the City of Los Angeles.

I remember reading quite a few fire releated publications and not one had anything good to say about the movie. It gave the fire service a black eye. The one film that did give the public an awareness of what we do and that was the TV show "EMERGENCY!" When we finished lunch, we'd go to the rec room and turn on the TV to watch the "EXPERTS" as we used to call them!!!

They may do things like that in New York, but here in the western states we are a 21st century fire service, not turn of the century fire service.

Since you're not a firefighter, you have no concept of what goes on in a fire house or at a fire but what you say above is probably what you've seen from the movies and that's most peoples conception.

Now, most all fire effects look phoney because there is so much smoke that you wouldn't be able to see anything, hence all the fire.

The only thing that I have personally from that film is the State of California using the picture from the poster on it's personalized plates. On the left of the plate is the firefighter silouetted with fire and 6 spaces. On the bottom it's written "FIREFIGHTER." Mine says BLZNVT and it's on my Corvette.

One other story, I was talking one day to the SFX man from the film and he was saying that it took them "2 weeks" to rig (completely strip the rig of everything) that fire engine to slide down the street. I then told him that it took a "second" for a 16 year old kid in a stolen Honda, going about 100 MPH and t-boning one of our engines that weighs "19 TONS" to flip this engine on to its roof and shove it 150 feet from where the kid hit it!!! Of course the kid was killed and the all the firefighters survived, they were buckled in.

I'm skipping this one too!

Sparks

That is a nice story, what does it have to do with the DVD? I go see movies to be entertained, all movies to some degree bend fact and fiction. I could go on for days about how military movies are f'ed up. (I know that they are because I was in the military)...but I will spare a story...

But I will be picking this up, when it came out it was actually my favorite movie that year.

digitalfreaknyc 06-12-06 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is a nice story, what does it have to do with the DVD? I go see movies to be entertained, all movies to some degree bend fact and fiction. I could go on for days about how military movies are f'ed up. (I know that they are because I was in the military)...but I will spare a story...

But I will be picking this up, when it came out it was actually my favorite movie that year.

:up:

Kocheese99 06-12-06 01:02 PM

Hmm, i didn't realize that the movie gave the Fire department a black eye or caused negative press. I don't understand how that would happen from the film, but needless to say i am eager to pick up this disk and i hope we get some nice special features. Definate Buy for me.

digitalfreaknyc 06-12-06 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Hmm, i didn't realize that the movie gave the Fire department a black eye or caused negative press. I don't understand how that would happen from the film, but needless to say i am eager to pick up this disk and i hope we get some nice special features. Definate Buy for me.

Well...probably the "dirty" fireman didn't help...but hell, there are always "dirty" versions of everyone. Gotta be bad guys somewhere.

digitalfreaknyc 06-12-06 01:15 PM

Special features:

The Cast Of 'Backdraft
The Stunts & Action
Special Effects
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
More!