Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else holding off DVD purchases because of HD/BR?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone else holding off DVD purchases because of HD/BR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. Not enough money to buy it yet.
Old 05-03-06, 07:42 AM

And I should say not enough money to buy a hi-def tv with an HDMI connection either.

Plus I'm one of those people who think "dvd is good enough"
Old 05-03-06, 07:43 AM

No way
Old 05-03-06, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, it'll be quite a while before I can truly afford to do HD. I find it ironic that this thread is right next to the one about building a VHS collection because some films may never make it to DVD. I think the existence of that thread alone should answer any questions about waiting for a new format.
Old 05-03-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Not buying any more TV on DVD (unless I have already started the series)
waiting either for prices to plummet or 1-2 disc HD-DVD sets of entire seasons.

It's hard not buying Battlestar and Lost though.
You will only see that with older shows though. With new shows that are broadcast in HD, the size of each hourlong show is about 8-9GB, so you are still only getting 4 episodes per disc. So TV on HD/BR is going to be more of a lateral move disc #-wise, IMO.

However I can see them squeezing old non-HD shows like MASH or Cheers on onto 1-2 discs.
Old 05-03-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Zero
I'm holding off on buying the latest theatrical releases because I figure those titles with be in the first few waves of titles. It's the catalogue stuff that I'm still picking up with great frequency simply because if titles like Modern Romance took 8 or so years to finally hit DVD shelves I don't want to have to wait another 8 years or so for it to appear on the next generation format. That make any sense?
That was exactly the example I was thinking of, both for the reason you said and because, in my opinion, it's not going to be that much better on HD. Definitely better, but that's not a movie that matters for the look.

I'd eventually double-dip on titles like '2001', and if a 'Blade Runner' DVD came out, that might be one I wouldn't buy because of HD looming ... but I'm not going to start my DVD collection over from scratch, or ignore stuff I want in the hopes that something better comes along.

Of course ... this was the same thing I said when I started getting into DVDs. "I'll buy stuff that looks great, or stuff with a lot of great extras, but how much does picture quality matter on any given Woody Allen movie?"
Old 05-03-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Not at all. They dont even exist to me, until there is one standard supported by all studios.
Old 05-03-06, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You will only see that with older shows though. With new shows that are broadcast in HD, the size of each hourlong show is about 8-9GB, so you are still only getting 4 episodes per disc. So TV on HD/BR is going to be more of a lateral move disc #-wise, IMO.

However I can see them squeezing old non-HD shows like MASH or Cheers on onto 1-2 discs.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what in the world does source material have to do with diskspace requirements? X number of minutes at 1080p should require the same number of bits, regardless of source material. I assume you're suggesting that old television material would be put out at a much lower resolution. That would seem to obviate the need for HD, IMHO.
Old 05-03-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Nope. Someday in the next decade or so I will make the switch to the standard that wins, perhaps, but for now I don't plan to upgrade equipment. Plain old dvd is just fine for me.
Old 05-03-06, 10:01 AM

I've maybe purchased about two standard DVD's in the past year.

Whatever/whoever emerges as the victor in the HD scuffle, I'll be buying high def DVDs like mad, just like I, and the rest of you did back in 1998. And even then, I may still jump in blindly at some point later this year and go full bore, supporting both companies. Who knows.
Old 05-03-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nope. no point for me.
Old 05-03-06, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
And I should say not enough money to buy a hi-def tv with an HDMI connection either.

Plus I'm one of those people who think "dvd is good enough"
Well said there dude. I think the same.
Old 05-03-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Netflix was already cutting down my buying of DVDs, but I have little to no interest in HD or BR until one of them "wins" and becomes "the norm" format (replacing DVDs).

Last edited by darqleo; 05-03-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
No I'm not really holding out for the HD release.

It seems possible to me that as much as they are botching things, neither one of the new formats may succeed (I think DVD will be replaced eventually, but plenty of formats have failed in the past, plenty more will in the future).

As someone who purchased Sega CD, for me there's not much more annoying than buying into something and having it totally flop.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-03-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 11:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
i'm reverting back to VHS. they're cheap and always contain the movies i love!
Old 05-03-06, 12:08 PM

No. I'm still adding laserdiscs to my collection, too.

I'm also concerned that older material will not look that good on HD discs in many cases since much was filmed or recorded at lower quality. HD may reveal all the flaws!
Old 05-03-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Not at all, I have zero interest primarily because of the format war.

I also believe that this first generation of "HD" will only be a place holder until something better comes along.

I am quite happy with my theater and the dvd format as it exists right now.
Old 05-03-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really don't care too much about the new formats so I'm not about to stop buying the things I want now. I want to see one format win the next round before I start tossing away money of new versions of films I've already bought numerous times. I may even get a PS3 but I still won't buy Blu-Ray movies until I know if it is the clear winner or just another failed media format that Sony got behind.
Old 05-03-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Nope. I have money to buy DVDs but not a new HD-DVD player (or Blu-Ray). Plus, I wonder if either the HD or Blu-Ray format will be around in a couple years anyway.
Old 05-03-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Nope, I'm sticking with DVD's too. I don't honestly believe HD is gonna catch on (really on) for at least another few years. I know I'm not entirely interested in it at this point.
Old 05-03-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fargus
I'm also concerned that older material will not look that good on HD discs in many cases since much was filmed or recorded at lower quality. HD may reveal all the flaws!
Nothing that was ever filmed has a lower resolution than HD does.

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
The current discs don't have the ICT token and therefore will play at full resolution over analog component cables. If/when the ICT token is put in (it is on a disc by disc basis), I'm sure there will be a player that will ignore it (no different than region free players). Problem solved. Even if that doesn't happen for some reason, your/my next HDTV will have HDMI and you'll already be ready.

I wouldn't sink $1000 into a possible failed format, but I probably will take the risk with an HD-DVD player at around $500. I've actually stopped buying in anticipation of getting one.

Right now, though, I'm building up my theater room (just moved) which is taking a lot of extra disposable income right now (for acoustic treatments and such). However, I'm eager to test out HD-DVD on my setup.

Also, I've seen people mention that it took X amount of years for a DVD release to get released. In most of those cases, they were probably mastered in HD and therefore a HD release is sure to follow soon (not X more years) because it won't take any more effort to cut an HD disc. They are planning on doing day-and-date releases between DVD/HD in the very near future.
Old 05-03-06, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
In most of those cases, they were probably mastered in HD and therefore a HD release is sure to follow soon (not X more years) because it won't take any more effort to cut an HD disc.
This doesn't really apply for catalog titles. To some degree there's the expense of prepping the elements, but it's primarily an issue of possible sales. At the end of the day, a niche title that might only appeal to 5% of the install base will never be released until that install base hits critical mass. This format will be no different than any other format, in that regard. Until HD hits some kind of magic tipping point with regards to installs, there's a whole subcategory of titles that will never be released because potential sales volume doesn't justify it. With two competing formats, it'll be years before the install base hits critical mass, if ever.
Old 05-03-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
Nothing that was ever filmed has a lower resolution than HD does.
Hmm . . . 8mm strikes me as a more or less crap format in terms of resolution. Extrapolating data (http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_l...HD_vs_35mm.htm) 8mm would be somewhere around .25 to .75 "million pixels," well short of 1080 HD.

Last edited by hogfat; 05-03-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 03:00 PM

I am, sort of. Next month's DDD sale will most likely be my last major purchase until Blu-Ray saturates.

I'm mostly sticking to obscure/cultish types of films that won't make it to the next format for a while.

But realistically, if they follow in the footsteps of DVD, we'll get a lot of parallel releases where the HD discs will have the same extras as the DVD version, only with better quality and perhaps on 1 disk instead of multiples. Once HD comes into it's own though, they will re-release those initial waves of films as double-dips that take better advantage of the format.

I'll pick up things here and there in the 5 months between the DDD sale and the PS3 release, but I'm going to be a lot pickier with the major studio releases I buy.
Old 05-03-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
No, I won't be changing over to HD. I have over 400 titles now and no way would I think of or even be able to change all of these titles over to HD in the up-comming years I'm very happy with what I have and enjoy the format that I have now and I have no NEED at all to change over. Now if I was just starting out with zero titles then it maybe a diffrent story but, again, i'm happy with what I have and have no desire to change. So keep pumping out those regular DVD's cause i'll be picking them up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.