Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any chance of a Return of the Living Dead 3 Re-release uncut?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... or should I just bite the bullet and buy the R1 'R' rated cut?

(Also, I don't care how easy or great it would be for me to go region free, I only want to know about R1. I don't have the energy or resources to even begin to care about buying a region free player or hack mine.)

Thanks!
Old 04-23-06, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bite the bullet, Lion's Gate isn't known for rereleasing catalogue titles with extra footage.
Old 04-23-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say avoid the release at all costs and stick with the unrated VHS or laserdisc. If you can convert those to dvd-r,do so!

The R version is sloppily edited in many of the most graphic portions of the film. It's not good editing that you hardly notice it and the scenes still have some effectiveness. Nope,it's jumping right out at you screaming "This scene is cut!" and makes many moments incomprehensible!

Also I think the dvd is not 16.9 enhanced,in case you have a widescreen tv. The package only says 'widescreen',but not 16.9 widescreen.

I asked on lions gate forum regarding this film. And all I got was 'legal and technical reasons' for them not releasing the unrated version. And then Chela Johnson tries to lure me into purchasing the R rated version with "I'm happy with the work I did on the dvd,the extras are great,you're missing out by not owning it!". She may be hot,but I won't be sold on everything

Some day they may release it uncut,but we'll see. I remember being promised in 2002 on hometheaterforum.com. A representive from LG said it was in discussion for a possible 2003 release. But that never materialized and it's now 2006. I still have'nt caved in and got the R version yet. The only way I would buy it,if it were $1 and not a penny more!
Old 04-23-06, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ignition
... or should I just bite the bullet and buy the R1 'R' rated cut?

(Also, I don't care how easy or great it would be for me to go region free, I only want to know about R1. I don't have the energy or resources to even begin to care about buying a region free player or hack mine.)

Thanks!
uh. you get can get a region free player as cheap as $35. Cyberhome 300. Granted - wouldnt have as a main player (it will break if you play it a lot) - but it is the cheapest way to see Region 2/PAL movies in the US.
Old 04-23-06, 11:46 PM

The commentary tracks on the R rated version are both pretty good. The special effects guy gets all pissed off when he realizes he is watching the cut version.
Old 04-23-06, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Also I think the dvd is not 16.9 enhanced,in case you have a widescreen tv. The package only says 'widescreen',but not 16.9 widescreen.
It's anamorphically enhanced, I just checked out my copy on my computer. And the editing isn't as horrible as some would make it seem.

Here's a review from someone who agrees..

Return of the Living Dead III Review from DVD Verdict

Last edited by IGotsNewShoes; 04-24-06 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-24-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watch the scene where the zombie clerk shoves the tire iron through the cops head and tell me,that's not bad editing in the R rated version

Also the extreme cropping and alternate angles to omit the gore when Julie is discovered feasting on Riverman completely destroys the impact of the originally sad/tragic/powerful sequence.

The only 'good' edit I could see in the R version that I had no problems was,was the lip biting sequence. There is a clean cut before the lip is peeled off. Yet the edits for the two scenes mentioned above, as well as the opening sequence with many bits scattered throughout are quite obvious and do hamper the film in my opinion.