Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Halloween" DVD news

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Halloween" DVD news

Was just visiting Best Buy's web site, searching for all things Halloween, and noticed that they have entries for the following:
  • the Halloween documentary, 25 Years of Terror
  • the rumored, but as yet unannounced, special edition of Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
  • the rumored, but as yet unannounced, special edition of Halloween 5
All are scheduled for July 25. None has been announced officially, but both Best Buy and Circuit City are listing them, so we should hear about them any day.

--THX
Old 04-13-06, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, about time something came out regarding 4&5... these were supposed to come out last Halloween according to Anchor Bay. (IIRC, that is)
Old 04-13-06, 10:29 PM

These have been up for pre-order on deepdiscountdvd.com for the last week. Went ahead and sold my current versions and hoping they keep the special features. I believe someone at the Halloween forums said these would have new commentaries.
Old 04-13-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ehh, i'll stick with the tins for 4&5 unless there's some awesome documentary or something.
Old 04-14-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Kocheese99
ehh, i'll stick with the tins for 4&5 unless there's some awesome documentary or something.
Same here. But I'm sticking with the tins regardless...they're priceless.
Old 04-14-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
All of that is coming out this year.

At the recent Weekend of Horrors that Fangoria has they had an Anchor Bay panel that announced all of these as well as a new release of Evil Dead in the form of a boxed set.
Old 04-14-06, 11:24 AM

Can we get a box set will all of them soon????
Old 04-14-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by marcellusk
Can we get a box set will all of them soon????
Of course not, that would make WAY too much sense.....lol
Old 04-14-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
No box set in R1 will ever happen because too many different companies own the different movies.

Halloween 1, 4 & 5 Anchor Bay own
Halloween 2 & 3 Universal Own
Halloween 6, 7 & 8 Disney Own
Old 04-14-06, 01:56 PM

I dont own 4 and 5 so ill probably pick them up.
Old 04-14-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Awesome news, thanks OP!

Long live Michael
Old 04-14-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
No box set in R1 will ever happen because too many different companies own the different movies.

Halloween 1, 4 & 5 Anchor Bay own
Halloween 2 & 3 Universal Own
Halloween 6, 7 & 8 Disney Own
Wonder how much Anchor Bay would have to shell out to gain the rights to the rest of them. Then we might finally get some solid releases of II, Curse of Michael Myers, and H20. Season of the Witch and Resurrection are fine as they are.

On a related note, a poster in the forums at HalloweenMovies.com wrote Universal regarding a special edition re-release of Halloween II, and was told there are no plans. So the current disc would appear to be the best R1 is going to see for a while. Could be worse: anamorphic, with a trailer and production notes.

--THX
Old 04-15-06, 01:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I will definitely pick up the documentary, as well as the 4th film. I bought the tin release of Pt. 5, at a convention, so I don't know if I will double-dip.
Old 04-15-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't "25 Years of Terror" the same documentary that apperared on the last two-disc set of Halloween?
Old 04-15-06, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Isn't "25 Years of Terror" the same documentary that apperared on the last two-disc set of Halloween?
No. This one is completely different and will focus on all eight films in the series. They interviewed just about everyone involved.

Go to http://www.halloweenmovies.com

Halloween: 25 Years of Terror is the most comprehensive documentary on the Halloween films ever produced. Featuring over 80 interviews with actors and crew members from the entire franchise - as well as fans and critics - the documentary chronicles the making of each Halloween film in the series, and examines how Michael Myers continues to influence the mainstream horror genre. Also featured are rare behind-the-scenes clips, rare photos, original artwork and music, footage from the fan-organized Halloween Returns To Haddonfield 25th Anniversary Convention, and over 3 HOURS of DVD Bonus Features!

DEDICATION
Dedicated in loving memory to David Andrew Newton
(1973-2004)

Trancas International Films
presents
A Paranormal Pictures Production
In association with MasiMedia LLC and rehab 54

HALLOWEEN: 25 Years of Terror

Narrated by P.J. Soles
Running time: 84 minutes

Distributed by ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT

RELEASE DATE: TO BE ANNOUNCED

APPEARING (in alphabetical order)
Moustapha Akkad
Brian Andrews
Tom Atkins
Clive Barker
Heather Bowen
Larry Brand
J.C. Brandy
John Carl Buechler
Jeff Burr
Michael Cacciotti
John Carpenter
Nick Castle
Jennifer Cocchiara
Jason Paul Collum
Ellie Cornell
Charles Cyphers
Dean Cundey
Jamie Lee Curtis
Kim Darby
Chris Durand
Cliff Emmich
Bradford English
Dennis Etchison
John Fallon
Daniel Farrands
Gloria Gifford
C.J. Goodman
Marianne Hagan
Brad Hardin
Danielle Harris
Phillip Hendrix
Cassandra Henwood
Debra Hill
Alan Howarth
Sasha Jenson
Bianca Kajlich
Wendy Kaplan
Jeff Katz
Julie King
Kathleen Kinmont
Janice Knickrehm
Nancy Kyes
Jeffrey Landman
Brad Loree
David Margrave
Anthony Masi
Tawny Moyer
Kim Newman
Thomas Ian Nicholas
Greg Nicotero
Jodi Lyn O'Keefe
Dominique Othenin-Girard
John Ottman
Ron Paglio, Jr.
Josh Pennell
Nick Phillips
Donald Pleasence
Rick Rosenthal
Brad Schacter
Don Shanks
Marc Shapiro
Pamela Susan Shoop
P.J. Soles
Beau Starr
Garn Stephens
Paul Swearingen
Donna Tucker
Dave Vanderhoff
Tommy Lee Wallace
Mark Ward
Dick Warlock
Lance Warlock
George P. Wilbur
Joseph Wolf
Edgar Wright
Irwin Yablans
Rob Zombie

EDITOR
Rod C. Spence

ADDITIONAL EDITING
Dave Rock

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
Malek Akkad

PRODUCERS
Anthony Masi
Stefan Hutchinson

CO-PRODUCER
Bret D. McCartney

WRITERS
Stefan Hutchinson
Anthony Masi

ASSOCIATE PRODUCER
Paul Swearingen

DIRECTOR
Stefan Hutchinson

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL
Sean Clark
Daniel Farrands
Dave Vanderhoff

ASSISTANT EDITOR
Anthony Masi

ORIGINAL MUSIC
Wade Marshall
Dan J. Schulte

ORIGINAL MUSIC
Jonathan Johnson and Lance Warlock
UNIT 12 Productions

OPENING TITLES DESIGN
Rod C. Spence

GRAPHICS
Rod C. Spence

ORIGINAL ARTWORK
Kurt Belcher
Mark Campo
Paul Coppack
Nick Dismas
Chris Eisert
Peter Fielding
Jim Means
David Siwy
Craig Smith
Marcus Smith
Ryan Vogler
Jeff Zornow

DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Guy Paterson

2nd UNIT DIRECTION
William Minsky
Guy Paterson

CAMERA CREW
Steve Cattaruzza
Karen Garcha
Stefan Hutchinson
William Minksy
Guy Paterson
Deseriah Shaw
David Siwy

ADDITIONAL CAMERA CREW
John Astobiza
Scott Beckley
Steve Dazzi
Edward Jinbachian
Kip Keckler
Anthony Masi
Jonathan Morken
Mike Nichols
Cory O'Dell
Garrick Wilke

BOOM OPERATORS
Karen Garcha
Anthony Masi
Cory O'Dell

SCRIPT SUPERVISOR
Steve Cattaruzza

FOOTAGE LOGGING
Steve Cattaruzza
Karen Garcha
Stefan Hutchinson
Anthony Masi
Paul Swearingen
Lance Warlock

PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS
Steve Cattaruzza
Carmon Emmons
Karen Garcha

STILL PHOTOGRAPHERS
Jennifer Cocchiara
Stefan Hutchinson
Lisa Michaels
Deseriah Shaw
David Siwy
Kevin Wellard

VIDEO TRANSFERS
The Post Group

FINISHING SERVICES
SONICPOOL

EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY
Crosslight Camera Grip and Lighting
Forma International
Time Zone Video
TNA Rentals

"HALLOWEEN RETURNS TO HADDONFIELD"
25th ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION CHAIRMEN
Anthony Masi
Paul Swearingen

HALLOWEEN CONVENTION WRITERS
Anthony Masi
Paul Swearingen
Sean Clark

SPECIAL THANKS
Moustapha Akkad
Zahira Ali
Lee Conrad
Ricki de Kramer
Dan Lewis Duffin
Linda Eselunas
Daniel Farrands
Peter Fielding
Andrew Fitzimmons
Ruggero Gabbai
Andrew Hargreaves
George Hutchinson
Joyce Hutchinson
Stephen Jones
Chris Joyce
Steve Kroll
Mark Lenahan
Matthew Lorentzen
Christine Lugo
Gary Mancini
Brian Martin
Frank Masi
Marilyn Masi
Marc Anthony Massimei
Mike McCoy
Dominic Moira
Tom Morga
Vladimir Nefferdorf
Mike Nichols
Rob Nicholson and his family
Phil Nutman
Jason Ortiz
Josh Pennell
Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau
Pasadena Convention Center
Sean Reynolds
Mike Roedell
Deke Richards
Ray Salcido
Marc Shapiro
Christi Sinkus
South Pasadena High School
Tes One
The Swearingens
Ana Maria Tolces
Dave Vanderhoff
Steve Vitalos
Lance Warlock
Christopher Weedman
Jonathan Yuhas
Helen Zuverink
Jack Zuverink
All of the convention crew volunteers
and
All of the members of the OHMB for their continued support
Old 04-15-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halloween 4 & 5 are Divimax Editions and are supposed to both have documentaries as well as Audio Commentaries. At least that's what was said over a year ago when they were 1st supposed to be released. I was a Moderator at OHMB (Official Halloween Message Board) back then and used to be "in the know". heh.
Old 04-15-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as it interests me, I don't think I could buy that documentary stand alone. Anchor Bay needs to get their shit straight. As much as I enjoy the films, I've already double dipped on both Halloween and Halloween 4. While I do own both two-disc sets of Halloween (as both contain different transfers -- and of course -- different extras), I ditched my stand alone non-anamorphic copy of Halloween 4 for the anamorphic limited tin. I know that the supposed new transfers for 4 and 5 will be done in HD and not SD, but I don't give a shit. They look fine on my Sony HDTV.

Unless they have great transfers and the best extras produced for a DVD to date, I don't know if I can dip one more time.

Now, I'd dip for an ultimate box set with all the flicks (thus far) with new transfers and special features galore, but I am okay with what I have now.
Old 04-15-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Debra Hill, Halloween's Producer, died last year. I wonder if there will be some kind of tribute to her on these new DVD's.
Old 04-17-06, 01:38 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I hope so.
Old 04-17-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moustapha Akkad died as well.
Old 04-17-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one series I could double or even triple dip on. I can't get enough and I am looking forward to the documentary as well as the new releases!
Old 04-17-06, 09:49 AM

Will we ever see the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6? It is suppose to be MUCH better than the theatrical release.

There is a version of this sixth Halloween film which has many scenes not shown in the theatrical release, as well as a different title/logo, different character developments, and a different ending. This "Producer's Cut"'s most noticeable differences are:

The movie begins with a flashback to 1989 in which Jamie is kidnapped by the Man in Black before the police station explodes.

Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance) does the voice-over narration at the beginning of the movie, not Tommy Doyle (Paul Michael Rudd).

Michael Myers does not kill Jaimie Lloyd right away; she lingers in a hospital for half the movie, and is eventually shot by the Man In Black.

There is a very different ending to the movie which replaces everything after the scene in which Kara is captured by the cult members.

In the home video version, when the father is killed by Michael Myers in the basement, the massive dose of electricity his body takes causes his head to explode. In the alternate cut, for some reason, this is not shown.

According to the official Halloween website under the FAQ section, some scenes from the producers cut are shown in the television cut for the UPN network.

The "strobe light/operating room" scene (only seen in the Theatrical version) was originally going to be longer, and feature more blood and gore. Examples include a shot of a nurse being gutted and Dr. Wynn being beheaded. Wynn's death was cut out of the film, so that his character could return in future films.

Producer's Cut also expands on certain scenes in the movie. This includes the following:
There are no "flashes" to previous / upcoming scenes throughout the movie, as with the theatrical release.
More dialogue between Loomis and Wynn when Wynn visits Loomis at his house. Wynn asks Loomis why he is "listening to this jerk" Barry Simms, and Loomis says he's recording it because it's a program about Haddonfield. He then goes on to say that he recently had plastic surgery, to remove some of the scarring on his face and "not frighten little children anymore". Then Wynn announces his plan to retire, thus bringing on the toast to "old friends".
More dialogue playing over the radio during this scene. There are also a number of different callers than in the theatrical release.
Kara performs a "chant" for Danny when he has his nightmare. She warns the "evil spirits" to stay away and reminds them that they "know the rules".
An extra scene of Debra and John watching Kara through the window as she leaves for college. Debra says "it's not about her, John... it's about you", and that she doesn't care what Kara has done in the past because she's their daughter. John replies by saying that Kara is no longer his daughter.
The scene with Dawn (Wynn's secretary) telling Loomis and Wynn that Jamie Lloyd's body has been found is extended. Wynn tells her to put the sanitarium on a "Code Red Lock-down" for 24 hours, and then says to Loomis that if Michael is alive, he plans on "bringing him back to Smith's Grove".
The scene where Loomis and Wynn drive to the farm is also extended. Because Jamie survives Michael's initial attack in this version, she is taken to hospital, and Loomis blames himself for everything as she is wheeled to an ambulance. He also has an encounter with the new Sheriff, who tells him that he and Wynn have "no business in Haddonfield", and to go back to their "loony bin".
There are a few alternate angles during the scene where Debra finds out whose house they are really living in. Loomis goes into more detail about Michael, and when Debra is on the phone to John, there are again some alternate angles. Also, when she drops the phone, the dial tone can be heard, whereas it can't in the theatrical release.
Barry Simms' death is also done slightly different. There a couple of alternate angles, and a scene after he is stabbed with the camera panning away to show another van parked nearby with the words "WKNB Radio" on the hood.
There are more alternate angles when Tommy finds Barry's body. The little girl dancing under the tree also sings "it's raining red" instead of saying it.
The ending credits are also completely different, with a few changes to the cast list as well.

Deleted scenes seen only in the Producer's Cut: Michael is shown impregnating Jamie in a black and white flashback, it shows the man in black forcing Michael to do it. In the finale Kara is tied up to an altar while the Thorn cult performs a ritual, Kara says "The baby is yours isn't it Michael?!" and the man in black turns and yells "Michael!." Originally this was the setup for Michael to kill the members of the Thorn cult.

The theatrical version ends with Loomis re-enterting the asylum, and we see Michael's body is gone and we hear Loomis scream, suggesting Michael killed him. In the producer's cut, we see Loomis come across Michael's body, suddenly the mask is pulled off to reveal it is Wynn, who passes on his curse of being Michael's guardian to Loomis before he dies. As the rune of thorn appears on Loomis' arm he screams, and the final image is of Michael disguised as the man in black leaving the asylum.

Because of the very different ending in the producer's cut, the dialogue between Wynn and Loomis in Smithsgrove is different, Wynn's outfit was also changed. The theatrical version simply uses Loomis's reaction shots and had Mitch Ryan reading new lines.
Old 04-17-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Why doesn't Nancy Loomis ever contribute in these documentaries? What a shame...such a memorable character; would be nice to hear her talk about it today. Maybe she just isn't proud of it?
Old 04-17-06, 04:02 PM

Does anyone know what's up with the rights to this series?? with the whole Demension/miramax/Disney/Weinstien Co.

I was under the impression the Weinstien's took all the rights to the Demension films, but maybe I don't understand it all.
Old 04-17-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LeeVing
Does anyone know what's up with the rights to this series?? with the whole Demension/miramax/Disney/Weinstien Co.

I was under the impression the Weinstien's took all the rights to the Demension films, but maybe I don't understand it all.
In a nutshell:

- Moustapha Akkad owns the rights to Halloween.
- Moustapha Akkad sells the rights to Dino De Laurentiis. Halloween II and Halloween III are produced at Universal. Akkad stays onto the films as an executive producer.
- Dino De Laurentiis sells the rights back to Moustapha Akkad after Halloween III's poor performance.
- Moustapha Akkad, similar to the first film, produces Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 on very limited budgets. As history unfolds, both films do good business.
- In 1995, Moustapha Akkad sells the rights again to the Halloween franchise over to the Weinsteins. Moustapha Akkad still remains on board as executive producer as three more sequels are released. All make profit.
- When the Weinsteins leave Miramax, they take the rights of the franchise with them. The three films they released at Miramax/Dimension stay there.

If there is an ninth film to be produced, Akkad's share of the money will just go to his remaining family members. The Weinstein Company will produce.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.