Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When Is Enough, Enough (re DVD collections and how many is too much)?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been collecting dvds for awhile now and sometimes I see great deals but lately I have been asking myself, when is enough, enough?

Anyone else been thinking this lately?
Old 04-05-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Aw, I thought we were getting another edition of Enough with Jennifer Lopez.
Old 04-05-06, 10:48 AM
sdk

It's never enough, i buy them for the movies and i will continue to buy movies. I have about 1400 dvd's
Old 04-05-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah, whatever happened to that mop-head Adam Rich kid from Eight is Enough? Didn't he get arrested for drugs with Todd Bridges?
Old 04-05-06, 10:54 AM

i have about 2' of shelf space. Only keep the discs in DVD organizers. can hold about 1500. As I approach that, I sell off those I don't think I'll ever see again.

So, for me - 1500 and 2 feet is enough.
Old 04-05-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey chard, i know what ya mean! i've slowed down my dvd purchasing considerably in the last six months. factors inhibiting me include lack of shelf space for more titles (or collectibles in general), looming hd-dvd, and the pricing strategies of dvds (why pay more now for something that'll be half price in under a year). now i look at the weekly circulars and go "bah".
Old 04-05-06, 11:16 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If new films continue to be released (and I suspect they will be ) there will never be "too much".
Old 04-05-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I firmly believe that anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Old 04-05-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Eight.
Old 04-05-06, 11:26 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no real limit, and everyone's criteria on what to buy will vary.

I try to limit myself to movies I loved and will want to watch repeatedly over the years. Thus I've had a player for a little over 7 years and only have a bit over 200 dvds.

Others are trying to build libraries and have a couple thousand DVDs.

Just depends on the person and what their purpose for buying DVDs are, their level of interest in film and so on.
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM

I need to force myself to slow it down a little, I'm addicted to DVDs.

I think we need to start a DVD Collectors Anonymous.
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM

I've had a DVD player for 6 years and only have around 225 DVDs, but take into account that I was only in high school then, and I'm only in college now, I can't afford to have a collection like most. But because I plan to go to grad school for cinema studies, and because I love movies, I don't plan to ever stop building it up. Enough is enough when you think it is. For some, that's never.
Old 04-05-06, 11:42 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you start asking yourself that question, it's probably time to slow down on the purchasing. I periodically weed out my collection to make room for new DVDs. I try to be realistic about whether I'm going to rewatch something, regardless of whether it's a good movie or not. I'm more comfortable with a moderate size collection (<175). I've sold about 90 DVDs over the last 4 years to keep the number manageable.
Old 04-05-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with user Josh Hinkle, there is no real limit and everyone has their own criteria on what to buy and how many to own. However, I think a limit should be set if someone is buying the dvd's and never watching them, ever. I know there are collectors that have to have thousands of dvd's, but a respectable collection of dvd's IMO, is one less of show and more of personal value, collecting the ones you love and will watch repeatedly is a sane collection.

I think that anything collected in moderation can't hurt. I have been more picky about what I buy the last few months on dvd. As a result my collection through selling off the bad and keeping the ones I value, has become more valuable to me on a personal level.

So, I am content with my collection.
Old 04-05-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
If new films continue to be released (and I suspect they will be ) there will never be "too much".
My thoughts exactly
Old 04-05-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
At over 300 now, I'm beginning to question whether I need to slow down or not, but most times I find "not" as my answer. I am becoming less obsessed with these dumb unrated editions (e.g. I'll keep my original Mr. and Mrs. Smith and that's fine, same with Crash).
Old 04-05-06, 11:57 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first got into DVDs I use to buy movies all the time just because they were there, now I'm a bit more picky. For me it was the thrill of getting DVDs, fortunately that noverty has worn off.
Old 04-05-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by chard31
I have been collecting dvds for awhile now and sometimes I see great deals but lately I have been asking myself, when is enough, enough?

Anyone else been thinking this lately?
My collection is approximately 400 titles. (If it weren't for the going-out-of-business blowouts at Sam Goody, I would be under 400) And for the most part "I'm done". Except for the occasional new release (probably 2-3 a year), I don't see my collection growing beyond what I have. I just don't care for the films being made today.

Old 04-05-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Smithers
I think we need to start a DVD Collectors Anonymous.
They have. It's called DVD Talk.

Answer to OP: All depends on the individual. As stated above, some look at their DVD stash as a collection, some look at it as a library, some look at it as a catalogue of film and try to get it in its entirety. For some, over 100 is a lot - and for some under 1000 is not very many. All of them are right.
Old 04-05-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enough for what?

Except in the case of space limitations I can't imagine trying to put a number on it. I mean, I've been buying books all my life and it would never occur to me to suddenly decide I'm not going to buy any more. I see DVD's the same way. My buying may speed up or slow down at certain points, but I can't imagine deciding to never again buy a DVD.
Old 04-05-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
Eight.
. . . to fill our lives with joy?
Old 04-05-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Not a problem for me. I only but what I really like and will watch repeatedly. Since I am picky I have less than 400 dvds even though I have been buying them since day one.
Old 04-05-06, 01:23 PM

I have around 250ish and I have slowed down alot over the past 6-9 months. I am not the type to watch fav movies over and over again because the thrill wears off after awhile...for me. Doesn't mean I don't like them, it's just that I also have new rentals to watch, books to read, family to talk to now and then, work, etc..
Old 04-05-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when is enough, enough?
When I say it's enough. When the library is complete....or as close to complete as possible...for MY needs. Really, it needs constant maintaining and fine tuning...weeding out, weeding in...it will never stop. The next format is just an add-on to an already well stocked library. Will I cram everything down my throat every minute of the day...feeling if I'm not watching something that it's being wasted? $ being wasted?

I think not, kids. A library is what it is. It's no dofferent for dvds.

I'm closing in on 2,300 titles....and it's still missing many essential additions. I either still need to pick them up or they are STILL not on dvd. I will be upgrading to HD with certian titles as soon as possible. Many dvd titles will NOT be upgraded. Horror of Party Beach and How To Make A Monster will be fine just as is.

I am still buying around 5 or 6 a week I guess.
Old 04-05-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
enough is never enough

anyway..

The Bus, that is a truly amazing frightening bit of analysis you've performed. Both that you did it, and its results. To throw a monkey wrench into your calculations: sometimes I watch all or part of a DVD in fastforward, anywhere from 1.25x to 2.5x. And PowerDVD or whatever is on my laptop has a mode where you tell it "I want to finish watching this disk in X minutes", which I haven't really used much.

My collection looks like 160 titles [a couple aren't in Profiler], and that counts multidisk/season sets as 1 for the most part.
I've been slowing down on purchases thanks to online rental. Now I'll only buy a few 'big titles' [Charlie and CF, Harry Potter] or great deals [tv sets for <15/season], and rent the others.

And, like sracer, most of the new movies coming out, I don't really care for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.