Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Back to the Future Trilogy Ultimate Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 04:04 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys might want to verify that you do indeed have misframed discs before asking for replacements (although I guess it doesn't hurt anyone but Universal, and it was their fault to begin with). The sets with a big sticker on the front that says "Lowest Price Ever!" or something like that should contain corrected discs. You should be able to see "V2" on the disc for Part II, but some copies of Part III don't say "V2", even though they are indeed corrected. The best way to make sure is to check the creation dates by loading the DVDs into a computer DVD-ROM drive. I'm not sure exactly what the dates should be, but they should be significantly later than the dates for Part I (i.e. a year or two later). Feel free to e-mail me and I'll compare the dates on mine to what yours have.
Old 10-20-06, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're still doing replacements for the mis framed discs? I thought I was sol on this one, how do I get my discs replaced?
Old 10-20-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by king slug
They're still doing replacements for the mis framed discs? I thought I was sol on this one, how do I get my discs replaced?
Yep. Just got mine yesterday.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/bttf2/
Old 10-20-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not typically very keen on Universal, but you gotta give it up to them for keeping this going. Granted it was their fault in the first place, but at least they're doing something about it.
Old 10-22-06, 11:42 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by joliom
I'm not typically very keen on Universal, but you gotta give it up to them for keeping this going. Granted it was their fault in the first place, but at least they're doing something about it.
I give them credit for keeping this going instead of just saying "okay, corrected discs are in stores now, we're done", but what I'm not so happy about is that hot on the heels of this fiasco was the field-order problem with "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" and the missing sound effects on "Knight Rider - Season 3". It's a pretty bad track record for one studio to have that many problems in such a short time, so it doesn't seem they've learned from the BTTF fiasco since they obviously haven't tightened up their QC procedures.

I'm curious, though. The page on the "fiasco" emphasizes that if "V2" is not on the discs, they're NOT corrected, but I'm pretty sure my copy of Part III was created long after the reported "correction date", but it still doesn't have "V2" on it. Guess I'll have to watch it closely and compare it to the examples on that page to verify if it's really corrected or not.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 10-22-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 12:24 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike, it's not uncommon for the V2 to be missing on corrected copies of Part III, but it's on all copies of Part II; the quick, easy way to know if your Part III is corrected or not is, if it came packaged with the V2 Part II, then you're automatically safe for Part III, as well.
Old 10-22-06, 02:19 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Mike, it's not uncommon for the V2 to be missing on corrected copies of Part III, but it's on all copies of Part II; the quick, easy way to know if your Part III is corrected or not is, if it came packaged with the V2 Part II, then you're automatically safe for Part III, as well.
Great, thanks for the info!
Old 10-22-06, 11:49 PM
Banned

I just ordered a copy of the OOP 2-disc "Meaning of Life" DVD and if it's not the corrected version of that title I'll be mailing away for one.

The fact that Universal still has the BTTF replacement program running is a relief to me re: MOL (I bought my BTTF trilogy the day it was released and sent my BTTF sequels in as soon as I got the mailer and got my replacements in the first wave but I've only recently been on a Python kick) but I guess I'll know for sure when (if) I have to go that route. I'll post in this thread as soon as I find out.