Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons Season 7 Censored/alternate cuts??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Simpsons Season 7 Censored/alternate cuts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I think you're right, even though i'm the one who said that he definitely was not wearing any underwear. It's weird how your mind can remember things differently.
As evidenced by Homer's memory of the town meeting in "$pringfield", or his memory of the night he got drunk off his ass at the party he and Marge threw [can't remember that episode].

But this has real-life implications as well; cops and attorneys have to deal with the malleability of the mind and memory when interviewing witnesses, among other things.
Old 02-28-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does all this have ta do with Adam Ant again?
Old 02-28-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
The Rashomon effect.
Old 02-28-06, 03:36 PM

Perhaps we're all remembering Wolfcastle's ACTUAL nude appearance, in Season 14's "The Great Louse Detective":

"I wore NOTHING!"

CS
Old 02-28-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strip
Adam Ant/Marco Pirroni

It's at times like these the great heaven knows
That we wish we had not so many clothes
So let's loosen up with a playful tease
Like all lovers did through the centuries

We're just following ancient history
If I strip for you will you strip for me?
We're just following ancient history
If I strip for you will you strip for me?
Uh-huh-huh

When it gets so hot the end of the day
You may find your clothes getting in the way
If a pretty dress hides your true desire
Fold it nice and slow, throw it on the fire

We don't need to see what the butler saw
Or a mirrored room with a mirrored floor
All those sneaky looks gazing down on you
Are no substitute for our rendezvous

If you think it's cheap or a bit risque
Please don't say a word I'll just slip away
I am not a man who believes in lies
Like an octopus with big x-ray eyes
Old 02-28-06, 04:41 PM

OK, so was my mind playing tricks on me? Did Wolfcastle's naked behind ever appear in the Radioactive Man episode?
Old 02-28-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
ah, The Internet!
Old 02-28-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

somebody is looking for a ban
Old 02-28-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adam Ant had a ban d.
Old 02-28-06, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by chanster
somebody is looking for a ban
What? I'm serious about this.
Old 02-28-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
What? I'm serious about this.
They're not referring to you dude, don't worry.
Old 02-28-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the Simpsons season cuts uncut original versions or do some syndication prints slip in sometimes? And if so,what seasons and episodes?
Old 02-28-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Matt Groening seems very adamant about showing the episodes in their original forms.
If that's true, it's some of the best news for TV on DVD I've heard. At a time when so many series are released with some form of butchery, I love to hear that someone cares enough to present his creation the way it was supposed to be seen.

--THX
Old 02-28-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps we're all remembering Wolfcastle's ACTUAL nude appearance, in Season 14's "The Great Louse Detective":
No, I wouldn't make that mistake. I stopped watching the show at the point in which the writing completely changed and the characters all took on different traits, and the show became mean spirited.
Old 02-28-06, 09:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Are the Simpsons season cuts uncut original versions or do some syndication prints slip in sometimes? And if so,what seasons and episodes?
All the DVDs contain the original, uncut broadcast episodes. However, a few minor bits of censorship have crept in, mostly things that were only aired during the first broadcast:

In "Homer Defined" (Season 3) Mr. Burns says, "I guess there's nothing left except to kiss my sorry butt goodbye," and later Bart says, "Bad influence, my ass!" On the DVD, "ass" and "butt" have been inexplicably switched. The DVD commentary says that they wanted to use "ass" for both lines, but the censors were still twitchy about that word back in 1991, so they had to "drop an ass." (Of course, one wonders why they didn't use BOTH asses on the DVD??)

In "Marge Gets a Job" (Season 4) Bart has "an unfortunate bout of Tourette's Syndrome", but on the DVD it's been changed to "rabies." (The barking & twitching remains, however.) No mention of the change is made at all on the DVD commentary.

In "Team Homer" (Season 7) the name on Homer's stolen Oscar award is changed from Dr. Haing S. Ngor to Don Ameche. The DVD commentary explains that Dr. Ngor was tragically murdered shortly after the broadcast, and since it's implied that Homer committed some violence to obtain the Oscar, they felt it was prudent to change it. (David Mirkin quips, "As we all know, Don Ameche died a hilarious death...")

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The Rashomon effect.
That's not how *I* remember it!
Old 02-28-06, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by JerVL/kg
In "Marge Gets a Job" (Season 4) Bart has "an unfortunate bout of Tourette's Syndrome", but on the DVD it's been changed to "rabies." (The barking & twitching remains, however.) No mention of the change is made at all on the DVD commentary.
I've read somewhere...Gord Lacey's site, probably, and they explain that. Apparently it was changed shortly after broadcast, and the syndicated version is yet a different version. Or something.

In "Team Homer" (Season 7) the name on Homer's stolen Oscar award is changed from Dr. Haing S. Ngor to Don Ameche. The DVD commentary explains that Dr. Ngor was tragically murdered shortly after the broadcast, and since it's implied that Homer committed some violence to obtain the Oscar, they felt it was prudent to change it. (David Mirkin quips, "As we all know, Don Ameche died a hilarious death...")
Oh my God! That really changes the episode for me...I've always noticed that it said Dr. Haing S. Ngor and thought it was just...odd. What's the joke?
Old 03-01-06, 05:54 AM

Damn. I clearly don't pay enough attention and have the memory span of a goldfish. I don't remember any of these moments.

Last edited by Notorious; 03-01-06 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-03-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sparks
One episode I saw was released in 3 different edited forms. It's where grandpa and Homer sell love potion and all the adults of Springfield make love and the kids are roaming the streets.

In the original airing, Bart enters his parents room with a bat and tells Homer and Marge that he's going to wait on the roof for vampires. You hear him on the roof, you hear the bat roll off and then you hear bart roll off...cut to commerical.

3 months later I see it on syndnication and everything is the same, except when the bats rolls off the roof...it cuts to a commerical. Bart's rolloff the roof is gone!

4 months later I see it on syndication again and everything is the same , except when Bart tells Homer and Marge he going to the roof...cut to commerical. The complete roof sequence is cut!

Is it that hard to pit the oroginal episode on DVD, or do these people not give a crap. By the way, I have never seen that above episode on DVD, so I don't know what version is on it.
They always shave a couple of minutes out of syndicated reruns for more commercials. The original versions are usually restored on the DVDs.