DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Simpsons Season 7 Censored/alternate cuts?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/457348-simpsons-season-7-censored-alternate-cuts.html)

Egon's Ghost 02-27-06 09:03 PM

Simpsons Season 7 Censored/alternate cuts??

Hi, I've just received the Simpsons Season 7 DVD set. I've just finished watching the episode "Radioactive Man" and noticed that Radioactive Man, in the acid scene, when the acid flows outside and he crashes into the van and his clothes disintegrate, he's wearing red underwear! I had this episode on tape, probably taped from syndication or perhaps taped from broadcast ten years ago, and I SWEAR that his ass was bare! You know, that bare Simpsons butt! I've seen this episode 100 times probably. Red underwear? I couldn't believe my eyes!

So Barney running buck nekkid in Mr. Plow is OK, but Radioactive Man's butt isn't? What's the world coming to?

DVD Josh 02-27-06 09:25 PM

I heard Wolfcastle sued.

rbbrbndsmlfnny 02-27-06 10:33 PM

he was in fact bareassed.
this is my favorite episode, and i noticed this myself.

Snowmaker 02-27-06 10:43 PM

I thought the shorts seemed out of place.

Philip Reuben 02-27-06 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
So Barney running buck nekkid in Mr. Plow is OK, but Radioactive Man's butt isn't? What's the world coming to?

An even better example is the end credits of "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular", which features clips from a whole load of nude scenes all in a row. Did they edit that?

rbbrbndsmlfnny 02-27-06 11:39 PM

nope. good point.

Dan Average 02-27-06 11:44 PM

I have a syndicated repeat of this on tape (from around 1999, to judge from the ads) and the underwear is there. It's not as conclusive as a tape from the original broadcast, of course.

Seantn 02-28-06 02:45 AM

I remember this from the original broadcast, and he was indeed nude.

JerVL/kg 02-28-06 03:40 AM

I just checked my VHS copy of the original broadcast, and Rainier is definitely wearing underwear.

It does look a little strange -- his pants dissolve until he's nearly bare-bottomed, then the red undies "magically" appear. However, the scene is 100% identical to the DVD version.

Egon's Ghost 02-28-06 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by JerVL/kg
I just checked my VHS copy of the original broadcast, and Rainier is definitely wearing underwear.

It does look a little strange -- his pants dissolve until he's nearly bare-bottomed, then the red undies "magically" appear. However, the scene is 100% identical to the DVD version.

Strange. Perhaps in syndication he was bare-assed? I don't know why that would be, but...at least I'm not the only one who thought it was strange. I'd dig through my VHS tapes, see if I still have it, but I don't have a VCR.

Morf 02-28-06 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
I remember this from the original broadcast, and he was indeed nude.

Sounds strangely like those that saw Star Wars in 1977 and swear that there was a scene with Luke and Biggs Darklighter.

sparks 02-28-06 10:22 AM

One episode I saw was released in 3 different edited forms. It's where grandpa and Homer sell love potion and all the adults of Springfield make love and the kids are roaming the streets.

In the original airing, Bart enters his parents room with a bat and tells Homer and Marge that he's going to wait on the roof for vampires. You hear him on the roof, you hear the bat roll off and then you hear bart roll off...cut to commerical.

3 months later I see it on syndnication and everything is the same, except when the bats rolls off the roof...it cuts to a commerical. Bart's rolloff the roof is gone!

4 months later I see it on syndication again and everything is the same , except when Bart tells Homer and Marge he going to the roof...cut to commerical. The complete roof sequence is cut!

Is it that hard to pit the oroginal episode on DVD, or do these people not give a crap. By the way, I have never seen that above episode on DVD, so I don't know what version is on it.

bunkaroo 02-28-06 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sparks
One episode I saw was released in 3 different edited forms. It's where grandpa and Homer sell love potion and all the adults of Springfield make love and the kids are roaming the streets.

In the original airing, Bart enters his parents room with a bat and tells Homer and Marge that he's going to wait on the roof for vampires. You hear him on the roof, you hear the bat roll off and then you hear bart roll off...cut to commerical.

3 months later I see it on syndnication and everything is the same, except when the bats rolls off the roof...it cuts to a commerical. Bart's rolloff the roof is gone!

4 months later I see it on syndication again and everything is the same , except when Bart tells Homer and Marge he going to the roof...cut to commerical. The complete roof sequence is cut!

Is it that hard to pit the oroginal episode on DVD, or do these people not give a crap. By the way, I have never seen that above episode on DVD, so I don't know what version is on it.

This example just sounds like sloppy cutting by the local affiliate. I've seen Seinfeld get awkwardly cut before commerical too.

Matt Groening seems very adamant about showing the episodes in their original forms.

wennma01 02-28-06 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sparks

i think for the syndication episodes, they some times cut to commercial early which could account for the missing gags. i've noticed this quite a few times, but cant think of any specific examples

cactusoly 02-28-06 10:41 AM

There is also cut stuff from syndicated episodes because when they were 1st aired there were less commercials. Now they need to trim the show down for the ads.

ben12 02-28-06 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by wennma01
i think for the syndication episodes, they some times cut to commercial early which could account for the missing gags. i've noticed this quite a few times, but cant think of any specific examples

A good example of this is how the Homer joke at the end of the Monorail song ("Mono-- d'oh!") is often cut off.

DVDFreaker 02-28-06 11:59 AM

One of my favorite episode that pisses me off is when Homer went skateboarding off a cliff and they are suppose to show Homer screaming and and his head hitting the rocks but they didn't even show it and just hear his screaming, that pisses me off, that is bullshit!

cactusoly 02-28-06 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
One of my favorite episode that pisses me off is when Homer went skateboarding off a cliff and they are suppose to show Homer screaming and and his head hitting the rocks but they didn't even show it and just hear his screaming, that pisses me off, that is bullshit!

I believe that was on the DVD

DVDFreaker 02-28-06 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly
I believe that was on the DVD

I know that, that is why I was pissed off

DVDFreaker 02-28-06 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This example just sounds like sloppy cutting by the local affiliate. I've seen Seinfeld get awkwardly cut before commerical too.

Matt Groening seems very adamant about showing the episodes in their original forms.

What does adamant mean?

FinkPish 02-28-06 01:58 PM

What does adamant mean?

Are you kidding? USE THE INTERNET! http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=adamant

BassDude 02-28-06 02:19 PM

http://i2.tinypic.com/oruhrs.jpg

Seantn 02-28-06 02:21 PM

Sounds strangely like those that saw Star Wars in 1977 and swear that there was a scene with Luke and Biggs Darklighter.
I think you're right, even though i'm the one who said that he definitely was not wearing any underwear. It's weird how your mind can remember things differently.

BassDude 02-28-06 02:26 PM

Yeah..I seem to recall the pants as well.. and I took it as a joke about how comic heroes retain their pants even when they morph into large green hulking figures.

majorjoe23 02-28-06 02:32 PM

I believe on the DVD they say there wasn't much to it, but for a later clip show they went in and animated a more painful fall.