Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD collectors and the future

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 10:38 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD collectors and the future

Just like many of you, I have a fairly decent sized DVD collection. I have put a lot of money into my Stargate SG1 seasons 1-8 DVD set.

This morning I thought to myself, "I wonder if I'll be able to watch these 10 years from now?"

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-21-06, 10:45 AM

I know i will. I still have some VHS tapes that i haven't gotten rid off and still watch on occasion. (Eddie Murphy Delerious)
Old 02-21-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, that's just begging for a "Stargate" slam.

Please, please, please, please, please - can I?
Old 02-21-06, 10:49 AM
Cool New Member

Maybe I should of worded it differently, so, what I ment was, will I still be able to watch my DVD collection in 10 years?
Old 02-21-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has basically been discussed to death in various forms. The simple answer is yes. The new formats are able to play DVD and there is no shortage of players available. The real question is will you wnat to, or will you upgrade your current discs with future HD versions?

Also, the way you word your post makes me think you don't really have as much invested as a lot of us. I have about 1200 titles and there are many here with more than than some with as many as 4000+ so stargate would be well insignificant compared to the cost of most collections. I mean, maybe you do have a big collection and that was just what you used to descibe a decent chuck of change, and if so I apologize.

Last edited by speedyray; 02-21-06 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-21-06, 10:56 AM

Why wouldn't you?

I know I will.

We're getting a HD-TV this week, but since dvds are cheaper and we have more then one player in the house, I will always choose dvds.

There's no reason why you couldn't watch them in 10 years,
Old 02-21-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by T1000
Why wouldn't you?

I know I will.

We're getting a HD-TV this week, but since dvds are cheaper and we have more then one player in the house, I will always choose dvds.

There's no reason why you couldn't watch them in 10 years,

You won't always choose DVD - trust me. I used to think that before I got an HDTV - now I look foward to HD disc formats.
Old 02-21-06, 11:00 AM

Don't tempt me!

My first thread was like this one. I was paranoid that as soon as the new formats would come out, they would stop making dvds. I know now that it won't be like that, so I'm cool about it.
Old 02-21-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ogden2k
This morning I thought to myself, "I wonder if I'll be able to watch these 10 years from now?"
Just don't gouge your own eyes out and you'll be fine.
Old 02-21-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone else. You'll have no problem watching them in 10 years. And this topic has been covered multiple times. The biggest danger would be damage to the discs themselves.
Old 02-21-06, 11:41 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure you'll find enjoyment in the movies in 10 years. The old classic's are still being bought today.
Old 02-21-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I agree with everyone else. You'll have no problem watching them in 10 years. And this topic has been covered multiple times. The biggest danger would be damage to the discs themselves.
Yep, and even if the discs disentegrated or all stand-alone hardware was discontinued/died, you could always run them off a computer (that would probably use emulation to play DVD's ten years from now). Unlike laserdiscs where it's getting harder to find parts/equipment to play the discs, unless you transfer them to DVD.
Old 02-21-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its like how one watch VHS now-a-days... Or do they still watch VHS?
Old 02-21-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Yep, and even if the discs disentegrated or all stand-alone hardware was discontinued/died, you could always run them off a computer
Plus, in 10 years, I could probably take my entire collection, copy it to my massive hard drive and use a few optical discs to back them up.

I'm not worried about my collection. You can still pick up VCRs today. Why would DVD players disappear in under 10 years? Plus the new HD players are supposed to be backwards compatible. I see nothing to worry about.
Old 02-21-06, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by speedyray
You won't always choose DVD - trust me. I used to think that before I got an HDTV - now I look foward to HD disc formats.
Well... there are those of us who just don't care about high definition. I'll take the cheaper format anyway and a huge DVD collector.
Old 02-21-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its a bit premature to say exactly what anyone will be doing in 10 years. 10 years ago today, I would have never thought I would have 1 dvd, let alone be looking forward to HD because, well, I had no clue and they did quite exist for me yet. So as of now, yes it looks like all will be clear in 10 years, but alot of things can change, and you have to live for today, and not 10 years from now.
Old 02-21-06, 01:36 PM

All this talk about the hardware. I'd be most concerned about the disc itself. Is DVD rot still controversial, or is it accepted that it happens? Discs can be damaged, sure, with scratches and scuffs. But even if they are perfectly cared for, will time itself kill them?

And if a disc is damaged to where it couldn't be played on a DVD player, why would it be playable on a computer, as someone stated above? A damaged, unplayable disc is a damaged, unplayable disc, right?

I only have around 150 DVDs. Miniscule, by standards here. But even with that investment, and certainly with the larger ones, I'd like to hope that these discs will last longer than 10 years.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 02-21-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 01:42 PM

I think DVD will still be around in 10 years. I'm not worried. If and when the times comes I'll upgrade only those that I think need it.

I mean how much better can it get. I know HD-DVD is a step up but will it be worth it for some films. Nope....I feel safe right now.

And since I was late into DVD collecting I'm loading up on the cheap 4.88 or less deals your seeing now All most likely because of the HD-DVD's on the horizon.

Just like DVD's it'll be awhile for the world bites big time. Think how long it took the stores to start rent DVD's let alone feel well enough to concentrate on them and phase out VHS.

I think we're ok.
Old 02-21-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When HD becomes the standard, you'll have to care about it. And when you see the difference between it and standard dvd, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-21-06, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Well, I still have a substantial laserdisc collection. True, I've replaced the ones I watch a lot with DVDs--as well as the ones plagued by noise distortion--but there are a lot of titles I don't watch enough to warrant replacing, and quite a few that are unavailable on DVD, most famously the unaltered Star Wars Trilogy.

On the HDTV, there is an obvious difference in picture quality (I'm using the S-Video out on the LD player), and the sound is not as good, but these are things I really only notice when I move directly from watching a DVD to watching an LD (we don't have HD channels on the satellite, so I've not yet really tested the capabilities of this TV).

Now I may change my mind when I finally pop for the Oppo DVD player and relegate my old Pioneer DV-525 to the bedroom. But that's still not going to make me step up my replacement rate on the LDs.
Old 02-21-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
In ten years I'll put my entire dvd collection on a microchip and go down to the nearest Recall Center and have the chip injected into my brain.
Old 02-21-06, 03:00 PM
Suspended

^^I wish we could do this with languages. I might be willing to get the implant if I could be truly multilingual.
Old 02-21-06, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ogden2k
"I wonder if I'll be able to watch these 10 years from now?"
Move them to Bluray, HDDVD or whatever other format you have then.

I moved some of my VHS to DVD-R and when DVD-R stop working (in 30 years time) I'll move the DVD-R to whatever.
Old 02-21-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
This has basically been discussed to death in various forms
So I shall rise from the dead to say for the 100th time....my library of dvds/films will still be enjoyed and serve their purpose as long as I keep them in good condition and have the hardware to play them on.

Jesus, I'm still enjoying vinyl on my Denon 707 big block turntable. After all, many have never been released on CD...and it's been how long?

My HD discs will blend in just fine with everything else.
Old 02-21-06, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Reservoir
when DVD-R stop working (in 30 years time) I'll move the DVD-R to whatever.
I've read that recordable optical media, including CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, etc, actually have very short lives. In fact, DVD-R is supposedly the least stable. Something about the physical media, once burned, becomes rather temperature sensitive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.