Casualties of War Extended Edition ----> 4/25/06

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Casualties of War Extended Edition ----> 4/25/06

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Casualties of War (Extended Edition) in April

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Casualties of War (Extended Edition) for 25th April 2006 priced at $19.94 SRP. From visionary director Brian De Palma, war is war, but murder is murder. Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn star in this action-packed Vietnam war saga in which one soldier thought he had a license to kill and another dared to stand in his way.

The all new extended cut includes footage added back into the film for a total running time of 119 minutes. Features include:
2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English & French DD5.1 Surround
Portuguese & Spanish language tracks
English, French, Portuguese and Spanish subtitles
Eriksson's War
A Conversation with Michael J. Fox
The Making of Casualties of War
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60395

Old 02-14-06, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It finally gets an upgrade.
Old 02-15-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmmmmm I don't know if this is worth an upgrade. This new cut is ~5 minutes longer than the current version, but the current one has deleted scenes on the disc, while this one doesn't list any.

The current version has 8 minutes of deleted scenes, so this new one might actually have less footage than the old one. I dunno, I got the old disc out of the $5.50 bin and I'm pretty pleased with it, but this disc might be nice for anyone that doesn't have it.

It does sound like De Palma has made this new cut, changing things he didn't want to change originally, so that at least makes this release more interesting.

Last edited by TheKing; 02-15-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony and their double and triple dips.
Old 02-15-06, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheKing
Hmmmmmm I don't know if this is worth an upgrade. This new cut is ~5 minutes longer than the current version, but the current one has deleted scenes on the disc, while this one doesn't list any.

The current version has 8 minutes of deleted scenes, so this new one might actually have less footage than the old one. I dunno, I got the old disc out of the $5.50 bin and I'm pretty pleased with it, but this disc might be nice for anyone that doesn't have it.

It does sound like De Palma has made this new cut, changing things he didn't want to change originally, so that at least makes this release more interesting.

Actually, I believe that the missing deleted scenes in the previous DVD are used in this new release to add to the extended cut. Sony is currently doing this lately with many of their films.
Old 02-15-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I got the current version for $5.50 at Walmart awhile back and I still have yet to watch it...
Old 02-15-06, 08:39 PM

Yep, that's all Sony is doing. Taking the deleted scenes from the older discs and putting them back into the film for a so called "extended edition". This is a fantastic film, which I own already own, and see no reason to purchase again. If Sony wants to make a SE the right way, they should look towards Warner for some help.
Old 02-16-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's why it looks like De Palma might be overseeing this cut:

http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/

"According to DVDActive, Sony today announced that it will release an "extended cut" of Brian De Palma's Casualties Of War on DVD April 25th. De Palma has confirmed that he did indeed oversee the new cut of the film for this DVD release. This means that we will finally see the film De Palma had originally wanted us to see back in 1989..."

It's something, but more than likely it's just the deleted scenes from the current disc, but it is De Palma approved...
Old 02-16-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what to do,pick up the $5 bin release..or the new edition?
Old 02-16-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say always go with the director approved cut, especially if it's De Palma. That being said,this extended cut nonsense is getting out of hand.
Old 05-04-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is the making of doc....? Is it substantial like most of the other DePalma docs?
Old 08-29-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I saw this the other day and did not realize an extended cut had even been released. The dvd talk review tells nothing of what was added in or edited.

Has anyone hear seen this and compared or have a link to a comparsion? I have the original release and will not likely pick this up but was curious to the differences.
Old 08-29-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I saw this the other day and did not realize an extended cut had even been released. The dvd talk review tells nothing of what was added in or edited.

Has anyone hear seen this and compared or have a link to a comparsion? I have the original release and will not likely pick this up but was curious to the differences.
I made a comment about this when the new "wave" of extended dvds froim Sony were hitting us hard. The reviewers pretty much told me to stick it where the sun don't shine when I mentioned that I wanted to know what the diferences were between the cuts. Assholes!!! I've pretty much stopped using this site for reviews since. I still sometimes check them out but not as much as I used to. I still read every das Monkey and DVDSavant review though.