Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years is in the works!

Are there really people who refuse to buy the set over 14 songs that have been tastefully replaced with sound alikes? I find that kind of shocking.
Old 08-19-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Very doubtful.
Old 08-19-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

That's pretty impressive, as far as music clearance goes. I'll be shocked if WKRP does that well.

Also, it's funny to see David Clayton-Thomas doing the Blood, Sweat & Tears stuff.

I noticed that a fair number of the non-cleared songs were from what are presumably 'estate owned' pieces. Richie Havens, The Doors, Liberace, and possibly Henry Mancini, if that's the version of the Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet they originally used.
Old 08-19-14, 10:14 PM

This is high on my priority list. The replaced songs although a little disappointing, in the overall scheme of things this was a show I really enjoyed. Certainly the music was a factor for liking the show, but given the total content including retaining most of the music, there are no issues in regards to making this purchase.
Old 08-20-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think what they've done with the music is impressive. I never even thought this would ever come out due to music rights issue, and the fact that they cleared 96% is pretty shocking, actually.
Old 08-20-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
That's pretty impressive, as far as music clearance goes. I'll be shocked if WKRP does that well.

Also, it's funny to see David Clayton-Thomas doing the Blood, Sweat & Tears stuff.

I noticed that a fair number of the non-cleared songs were from what are presumably 'estate owned' pieces. Richie Havens, The Doors, Liberace, and possibly Henry Mancini, if that's the version of the Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet they originally used.
Getting Doors' clearances is a mess, there are about eight different parties that need to sign off on anything with their music.
Old 09-16-14, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Season 1 retail release October 7:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Won...Season-1/20287
Old 09-16-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm stunned they were able to get as much music cleared as they did...
Old 09-17-14, 03:07 AM
Cool New Member

I find that services like Netflix obsoletes a lot of dvd's. I spent some time streaming these episodes. Odd that so much fight going into licensing over the music contained within.
Old 09-18-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, good, one doesn't have to purchase that big locker, nice as it is.
Old 09-22-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received my set today. Being my favorite show of all time this ranked as my most wanted set ever. Having said that, I hate to be "that guy" as I typically could care less about packaging but to anyone who is debating whether to hold out for "regular" packaging I would advise that you do just that. The locker is a monstrosity and one of the "legs" was bent inward so the thing won't even stand up straight. The other thing is the DVDs are all packed in tight in the sleeves so that could lead to some scuffing. Overall I am just thrilled to finally have this regardless of what it was packaged in but I just wanted to give an honest assessment. Watching the first bonus disc with the cast reunion as I type this.
Old 09-22-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ha, you're a real diehard. Can you not just bend the leg outward again, or is it cardboard? That would be annoying.
Old 09-22-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^Ha, you're a real diehard. Can you not just bend the leg outward again, or is it cardboard? That would be annoying.
Eh I can probably get a pair of pliers and straighten it (it's metal). Not that big of a deal though.
Old 09-22-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm surprised they went with a locker for the special packaging. This show seemed perfect for some kind of scrapbook or family photo album type of packaging. I'd also say a yearbook, too, but that was done by Freaks and Geeks.
Old 09-22-14, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I really don't care for such awkward packages and add to that sliding discs.

I just saw this posted on tvshowsondvd.com and this might be the way I go:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20310

the first 3 seasons and what appear to standard sets, plus the yearbook. I'm mainly interested in the sets and some of the bonus contents on the discs, rather than physical stuff, but a yearbook is among the more appropriate items and again if these are standard sets, I might go this route.
It's $99.95:

https://timelife.com/products/the-wo...ars-collection
Old 09-22-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I saw that today. If those are standard DVD cases I'll probably get this. Worth noting is that apparently some of the outtakes on the first season DVD in this (and the complete series release) will not be present on the general retail release. Not exactly sure why, something about deadlines, but that's what TVShowsOnDVD was reporting.
Old 09-24-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
Received my set today. Being my favorite show of all time this ranked as my most wanted set ever. Having said that, I hate to be "that guy" as I typically could care less about packaging but to anyone who is debating whether to hold out for "regular" packaging I would advise that you do just that. The locker is a monstrosity and one of the "legs" was bent inward so the thing won't even stand up straight. The other thing is the DVDs are all packed in tight in the sleeves so that could lead to some scuffing. Overall I am just thrilled to finally have this regardless of what it was packaged in but I just wanted to give an honest assessment. Watching the first bonus disc with the cast reunion as I type this.

Dubya - I also got the complete series in the mail today, and guess what??

One of the legs on my locker was ALSO bent in!!! What gives? What kind of production quality is that? Looks like you and I both got our lockers out of the same bad batch.

The key, though, is to call customer service and complain. They'll send you another locker for free of charge. That's what I did.
Old 09-24-14, 02:52 PM

Any chance of some pictures of the set, guys?
Old 09-28-14, 04:56 AM

Hi guys

I tried to compile all the information about the Wonder Years DVD releases in one place. If you have any corrections, that would be much appreciated: wonder-years.tv/twyondvd.php

thanks
Jeff
Old 09-29-14, 09:09 AM

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the whole series (which I want to) but that's pretty expensive and I don't care about a locker and all that stuff. I guess I can wait a while and then still buy the whole set later on I suppose if they still don't release all the season sets. So when will the remaining seasons be released in the individual packaging? Any idea?
Old 09-29-14, 05:29 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

We are so disappointed to hear that some lockers have taken a beating in shipping to our customers. If your locker unfortunately arrived bent or dented, we will absolutely replace it.

Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-950-7887 between 9 am to 9 pm EST so that we can get a replacement out to you. We have also changed our shipping carton to further protect against any future issues.

Again, we're so sorry for any inconvenience, but know you'll enjoy your "The Wonder Years" collection for many years to come, and we'll make it right.
Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20334#ixzz3EkLFAt5j
Old 09-29-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
There's good news on the damage front. TVShowsonDVD.com reports Time Life has a replacement program for those that got damaged.

Basically:

We are so disappointed to hear that some lockers have taken a beating in shipping to our customers. If your locker unfortunately arrived bent or dented, we will absolutely replace it.

Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-950-7887 between 9 am to 9 pm EST so that we can get a replacement out to you. We have also changed our shipping carton to further protect against any future issues.

Again, we're so sorry for any inconvenience, but know you'll enjoy your "The Wonder Years" collection for many years to come, and we'll make it right.
Old 10-01-14, 08:25 PM

My set just arrived today in so-so condition. The locker wasn't as bad as that picture on TVShowsonDVD features in their article about the replacements, but the alignment of the door is off. Here's a picture. The top right corner was dented slightly and one of the legs was bent, but I used a soft hammer to straighten it. Still... If the locker is free of charge, I'll give Star Vista a call tomorrow and inquire about a replacement. My OCD seriously kicked in when I saw that a set I paid $250 for wasn't in mint condition.

Edit: I just called Star Vista CS and the representative put me on hold for about eight minutes to check into the replacement issue. When she came back on the line, she had already submitted a request for a replacement locker and told me that it would be coming in about 7 business days. I asked her if she knew what would be different about the packaging. (The original packaging simply came in a nicely-fitted box for the locker with two small airbags on one side of the box. My airbags were both practically deflated upon opening the box.) She told me that she's in Pennsylvania and the shipping facility is in Kentucky, so she couldn't give me a specific answer, but she assumed that the replacements should be sent out with the locker covered in bubblewrap. You don't have to return your locker to Star Vista; they'll send you a new one with no questions asked.

Last edited by Raye; 10-02-14 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Info on locker replacement
Old 10-05-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm interested in giving this series a try but I don't want to drop the money on the complete series set. I might just get the individual season sets but it sort of sucks that all the extras won't be available. The individual yearbook sets for season one through three (and I assume four through six at some point) seem like a decent option but are still spendy at $100.
Old 10-10-14, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I picked up the first season of this on DVD today and watched all the episodes tonight. I forgot how good this show really was. I remembered liking it when I used to catch episodes in reruns but wasn't sure if it would hold up but damn it really is just as great as ever. I don't think I want the big locker set but I may have to order the seasons one through three set and hopefully the set of seasons four through six follows soon after.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.