DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The New World ---> Tentative release on March or April of extended version (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/455201-new-world-tentative-release-march-april-extended-version.html)

dx23 02-08-06 02:31 PM

The New World ---> Tentative release on March or April of extended version

From thedigitalbits.com Rumor Mill:

Also today, we've gotten word that producer Sarah Greene has recently informed audiences at special limited screenings of Terrence Malick's The New World that the director has created an extended version of the film that will see release on DVD, possibly as early as March or April (from New Line). Malick doesn't make many films, but when he does they're well worth seeing, so this is very cool news indeed. Thanks to Bits reader Paul M. for the tip.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#020806

purplechoe 02-08-06 02:37 PM

:thumbsup:

I love Malick and will definitely be picking up this one.

Geofferson 02-08-06 03:21 PM

That's fast. :up:

dvd_luver 02-08-06 04:10 PM

I will be checking this out eventually, my brand of film.

PopcornTreeCt 02-08-06 04:46 PM

cool

ReduxGuy 02-08-06 05:49 PM

Will this be the version that was originally released in theaters and then taken out to be reedited?

I saw The New World last week, and while it was exquisite to look at, some of it didn't make any since. But then again, I was exhausted that day.

Nick Martin 02-08-06 09:30 PM

Hopefully he'll ditch that Wagner and Mozart music he replaced the score with...at least I can dream.

conscience 02-09-06 12:18 AM

My second favorite film of the year (behind Capote).

I will surely be picking up any sort of release of this wonderful film.

Harry Lime 02-09-06 12:42 AM

i also hope that along with this release the remaster and re-release his other films. Badlands is under Warner Bros. Imagine a special edition from them. :drool:

Mr. Cinema 02-27-06 02:47 PM

They posted the artwork at dvd active. Also includes a 60 minute documentary:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...artworkpic.jpg

Patrick Mirza 02-27-06 02:57 PM

Press release says 135-min cut.

JOE29 02-27-06 03:33 PM

Oh Yes! I'm marking this one down for sure.

dx23 02-27-06 03:42 PM

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

The New World (R1) in May

New Line Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The New World for 9th May 2006 priced at $27.95 SRP. In this sweeping adventure starring Colin Farrell (upcoming Miami Vice, Alexander), Christian Bale (Batman Begins, American Psycho), Christopher Plummer (Syriana, A Beautiful Mind) and newcomer Q'Orianka Kilcher, acclaimed filmmaker Terrence Malick (The Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven) captures the classic tale of Pocahontas, her relationship with adventurer John Smith and the remarkable journey that took her from the Virginia wilderness to the palaces of England. Critics across the nation have hailed The New World as one of the year’s best films, with dazzling performances by Farrell, Bale, Plummer and Kilcher.

Features include:
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo Surround 2.0
English subtitles and Closed Captions
Spanish subtitles
“Making THE NEW WORLD” documentary
Theatrical trailer
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60581

steebo777 02-28-06 06:22 PM

So is this the extended cut?

Dan Average 02-28-06 06:55 PM

If the press release is correct, no.

cfloyd3 02-28-06 07:14 PM

What a lame cover with a bad font. Also enjoyable is the studios great idea to make sure to plaster on Roeper's equally lame comment comparing it to Titanic. Surely disappointing to not see the extended cut but I am not that surprised since that is the studios for you.

Ravenous 02-28-06 08:30 PM

I was totally hyped to see this movie than saw it was done by the Thin Red Line Guy. Looks like this will be a rental first since TRL totally sucked ass.

Ugly cover art too.

Rypro 525 02-28-06 10:55 PM

knowing how much people hate titanic with a passion, i doubt plastering on the cover "the best historical epic romance since titanic" will influence people to buy the movie.
I assume that the dc will be released a couple of months after the theatrical cut (this is new line we are talking about)

Dan Average 02-28-06 11:15 PM

I sure wish I could generate the kind of passionate hatred Titanic apparently did -- after all, I'd be about a billion dollars richer. I realize it's probably not the most popular movie with Terrence Malick's fanbase, but I don't know where this idea that Titanic is universally despised comes from.

cfloyd3 02-28-06 11:17 PM

People hate Titanic with a passion? So it is the highest grossing film of all time and just got a 3 disc special edition release just because of no reason? A lot of people like Titanic, especially those who have no clue of Terrence Malick or of the film The New World. The studio could easily believe those that like Titanic would give it a go with a promised love angle on the cover with Roeper's recommendation. I think you might be kidding yourself thinking a general consensus on the DVDTalk message board is what alot of people believe.

Nick Martin 03-01-06 12:22 AM

Titanic haters...I'll never understand them, nor do I care to.

Fincher Fan 03-01-06 04:12 AM

God, I hate Titanic.

cfloyd3 03-01-06 04:37 AM

I should probably point out that I don't particularly like Titanic either. Well outside of that Kate Winslet sketch scene....

Babylab 03-01-06 04:57 AM

Once again another amazing film from Malick, poetic and inspiring.

I agree the dvd cover does look awful though and the Titanic comparison is just insulting : they are totally different movies. New World is an art piece while Titanic is a huge entertaining machine (nothing bad with that). Oh well...

I agree Badlands deserve a special edition. Same goes with Days of Heaven. Criterion where are you ?

PS : I'll buy both versions of the New World -edited and extended- which I usually never do.

Jaymole 03-01-06 07:34 AM

As a Malick lover and a Titanic hater, I will white-out that quote on the DVD cover when I buy it:D

Mr. Cinema 03-01-06 07:54 AM

Titanic was an amazing achievement. A universally hated movie doesn't earn at least $20 million for 12 STRAIGHT WEEKS. It just doesn't happen. No other film will ever beat that. Not to mention 18 straight weeks earning at least $11 million. That also won't be accomplished again. Let's not forget 11 Oscar wins.

Those of you who hate the movie are in the extreme minority. This movie was a mega-huge success. That's fact.

Geofferson 03-01-06 07:55 AM

I expected to see 2 DVD releases of this, so no real surprise for me.

I'll wait for the extended cut.

ianholm 03-01-06 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Titanic was an amazing achievement. A universally hated movie doesn't earn at least $20 million for 12 STRAIGHT WEEKS. It just doesn't happen. No other film will ever beat that. Not to mention 18 straight weeks earning at least $11 million. That also won't be accomplished again. Let's not forget 11 Oscar wins.

Those of you who hate the movie are in the extreme minority. This movie was a mega-huge success. That's fact.

What?!!? We all know it was teenage girls that propelled the <i>Titanic</i> box office. :)

awmurray 03-01-06 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ianholm
What?!!? We all know it was teenage girls that propelled the <i>Titanic</i> box office.

You forgot to put a smiley after that so we could tell you were joking => rotfl

ianholm 03-01-06 10:00 AM

Oops...smiley added :D

Ravenous 03-01-06 01:20 PM

I use to dislike Titanic; but I bought the 3 disc set so I can see it in WS and SS and wow was it awesome. I really like the movie now. Except that old bitch, I wish I coulda thrown her over board.

Oh and the movie is still tons better than TRL

Nick Martin 03-01-06 09:20 PM

Why has this turned into one Titanic threadcrap after another?

Rypro 525 03-01-06 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Why has this turned into one Titanic threadcrap after another?

half my fault (maybe not universally hated, but i know there are many who say its not that great), and the fact that the cover art mentions that the film is similar to titanic when its not.

cupcake jesus 03-02-06 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Babylab
I agree Badlands deserve a special edition. Same goes with Days of Heaven. Criterion where are you ?

Unfortunately, Warner Bros. (Badlands) and Paramount (Days of Heaven) aren't Criterion-friendly studios, so I doubt if we'll ever see Criterions of those two. Not sure there's much "special edition" footage available for either film, either, especially since Malick doesn't do commentaries. I'd love to see a better transfer of Badlands, though - it desperately needs one. The Thin Red Line, on the other hand, has a ton of footage cut - I'd like to see Fox take some initiative there, and put something together.

I'll be buying The New World day-of-release - I could really care less about the cover. Great flick.

cheers,

-the Jesus

steebo777 03-02-06 11:21 AM

I'll pass until Malick releases his edit of it.

Babylab 03-02-06 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Not sure there's much "special edition" footage available for either film, either, especially since Malick doesn't do commentaries. I'd love to see a better transfer of Badlands, though

Hmmm let's see... Warner could do something with Badlands at least.
I'd like to hear a Martin Sheen commentary. He always seems to have but fond memories for this film in interviews.
There's a documentary out there - "Rosy Fingered Dawn : a Film on Terrence Malick". The Badlands region 2 dvd also has a small feature called "Absence of Malick". Would be all good for a SE.
In the best of all worlds, Malick's early short films would make it to the DVD too.
But yeah of course, most importantly would be a remastered version of the film itself...

cheers!

Raffurar 03-02-06 02:13 PM

Does anyone know if the future extended release might also contain the US theatrical cut? I'm very eager to see more of Malick's Virginia, particularly what seems like a large gap of Jamestown scenes while Smith is with the "naturals" (hopefully there is more story here, I wanted to see more of David Thewlis). However, I absolutely loved the pacing and poetic flow of the cut I saw, so I actually wouldn't mind double dipping on this for an extended version. If it is going to be released like Sin City, however, I'd like to know in advance so I can just wait and have both cuts in one set.

awmurray 03-08-06 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Raffurar
I absolutely loved the pacing and poetic flow of the cut I saw, so I actually wouldn't mind double dipping on this for an extended version.

I finally saw this last night. Throughout the movie, I had the impression that this was pure poetry transferred to the screen. Now, if someone had described that to me before going in I wouldn't have expected to like it... But from start to finish this was the most beautifully shot film I think I've ever seen. I'm supprised it didn't win the Cinematography award. I think the visuals and sounds perfectly capture the feeling of what it must have been like for the English landing in the New World.

I don't think this is for everyone, however. Two people next to me left half way through and a couple in front of me were talking/joking through much of it and left in a hurry as soon as the movie was about to end. I sat through the credits and when the lights came up I found out I was the last one left... To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.

Hopefully, this is released with the theatrical print and score (I liked the score-- I know some other's didn't) since that is the version I saw first. It might be nice to pick up an extended version later, too, but I definitely would want the theatrical version.

hailmyname 03-08-06 10:44 AM

how can one hate titanic. everything was so good. anywayz still be interested in this one and hope it remains the same theatrical release.

Richard Malloy 03-08-06 12:33 PM

So, just so I'm clear... there's been no announcement of an extended cut DVD, but the theatrical cut DVD is coming out May 9? Is that about the extent of what we know?