DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The New World ---> Tentative release on March or April of extended version (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/455201-new-world-tentative-release-march-april-extended-version.html)

Giles 03-08-06 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
So, just so I'm clear... there's been no announcement of an extended cut DVD, but the theatrical cut DVD is coming out May 9? Is that about the extent of what we know?

you are correct.

the extended cut is so far only a rumour.

Raffurar 03-08-06 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
I'm supprised it didn't win the Cinematography award. I think the visuals and sounds perfectly capture the feeling of what it must have been like for the English landing in the New World.

I wholeheartedly agree. I haven't seen Geisha yet (I believe it won), but I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie this beautiful; two in one year? I guess we might be lucky, then.

I don't think this is for everyone, however.

Yeah, this was one of the few movies I've seen in theaters by myself in some time, and even though I unabashedly love it, I don't know that I'll be rushing to have my girlfriend watch it with me.

To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.

I, too, think it was long enough, but I know there was a lot more to it, and I'm very curious. However, I feel that watching a chunk of deleted scenes is a cheap alternative to the experience of watching a different version of the film. There will be a depth, and a flow (or lack of one), that will both heighten what the material was, and give insight into the making of the film. I just hope that we learn early on how this extended version will be handled.

Nick Martin 03-08-06 01:40 PM

Hopefully, this is released with the theatrical print and score (I liked the score-- I know some other's didn't) since that is the version I saw first.

I haven't seen this film yet, but I love the score and was angered to hear that Malick replaced it with Classical source music... Stupid.

Drexl 04-13-06 05:24 PM

Maybe we'll get a Scratch 'n Sniff card with the DVD:

http://dwb.newsobserver.com/24hour/w...12037080c.html

Giles 04-13-06 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I haven't seen this film yet, but I love the score and was angered to hear that Malick replaced it with Classical source music... Stupid.

who did the original score?

ReduxGuy 04-13-06 10:45 PM

James Horner.

conscience 04-14-06 11:20 AM

I thought the score was a high point in the film. Although the piano segments were out of place somewhat.

The final orchestral build-up brought tears to my eyes.

ThatGuamGuy 04-14-06 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

I don't know the entire history, so I may be speaking out of my butt, but as I understand it, after that initial release, Malick was basically editing as long as he possibly could to trim it down some more. It seems likely, to me, that there wasn't time to record an entirely new score, and most composers would be extremely against the idea of somebody coming and trimming down their score to fit a new edit of the movie. If the cut changes, the music should be re-written ... maybe not 100% from scratch, but in some cases, that's the only way to do it.

That said, I liked the music in the cut I saw (the shorter theatrical cut).

Raffurar 04-14-06 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I don't know the entire history, so I may be speaking out of my butt, but as I understand it, after that initial release, Malick was basically editing as long as he possibly could to trim it down some more. It seems likely, to me, that there wasn't time to record an entirely new score, and most composers would be extremely against the idea of somebody coming and trimming down their score to fit a new edit of the movie. If the cut changes, the music should be re-written ... maybe not 100% from scratch, but in some cases, that's the only way to do it.

That said, I liked the music in the cut I saw (the shorter theatrical cut).

Actually this happens all the time, more and more these days as computer editing and effects sequences finished up to the last minute leave many films finished only days before release (Star Wars is a prime example here). But even in simple drama films, scores get edited, looped, and tracked (repeated segments or music actually intended for different parts of the film) quite often. I also believe the longer cut of the film shown for oscar consideration had the same classical pieces used and the same Horner score excised as the theatrical cut. This practice seems to be familiar territory for Malick, for I believe original score was cut in favor of classical selections in The Thin Red Line as well; and there is no better example than Alex North's entire score cut from 2001: A Space Oddysey in favor of the reknowned orchestral works eternally associated with that film. Perhaps it was Malick's intention all along, but for good measure had Horner compose score for these parts of the film just to see if some better audio/visual relationship could be created. Personally, I am a lover of film scores through and through; however, I left the theater haunted by the use of Wagner's music, not Horner's pieces.

dx23 05-19-06 03:14 PM

Davisdvd.com is reporting a it is possible that the extende cut of The New World could be released on DVD. More info here:
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

filmfreak 05-19-06 04:42 PM

I don't think this is for everyone, however. Two people next to me left half way through and a couple in front of me were talking/joking through much of it and left in a hurry as soon as the movie was about to end. I sat through the credits and when the lights came up I found out I was the last one left... To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.

Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie, I don’t even pay attention to what people around me are doing (unless they are making noise or something). If I see someone get up, I just assume they’re going to the concession stand or the restroom.

That said- I received this movie yesterday through Netflix, I’m looking forward to watching sometime this weekend.

dcprules 05-19-06 07:34 PM

Just to answer your question filmfreak...yes, people walk out of movies all the time. The New World is perfect evidence. I thought the movie was an incredible visual masterpiece, but half the theater I was with didn't think so and roughly half left during the film. Granted, I went to like a 10:45PM showing so it can be a tough film for some people to watch later at night, but I still don't think I've ever seen so many people walk out of a movie before. Maybe they thought there was going to be more action than the two or so action sequences the film contained? Who knows, but I sure liked it.

I still haven't grabbed the DVD, but I'm really curious to check out an extended version of the film. Maybe I'll just hold off on buying the first release for a while...

Scotts35 05-19-06 07:34 PM

People walked out of the Aristocrats. Almost become publicity for the movie.

djtoell 05-19-06 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by filmfreak
Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie, I don’t even pay attention to what people around me are doing (unless they are making noise or something). If I see someone get up, I just assume they’re going to the concession stand or the restroom.

I saw about six or eight people walk out of a screening of Waking Life in Greenwich Village.

DJ

JiM T 05-20-06 12:43 AM

Most walk-outs witnessed by me? A Sunday afternoon showing of "Moulin Rouge". A half-empty auditorium ended up about a quarter full by the end. I think the average age of the walk-outs was 65. Guess they thought they were finally going to see an old-school musical again. IIRC, the movie was hyped as the grand return of the movie musical. Hmph. Not what they had in mind!

BuddhaWake 05-20-06 09:12 AM

I always get the same age range (65+) walking out of movies. Mostly foreign ones. It seems to me that they don't do any kind of reading about the film before putting out the cash to go.

xage 05-20-06 12:48 PM

You just probably "Don't Understand" it..

filmfreak 05-20-06 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by xage
You just probably "Don't Understand" it..

I love how you're seeking out every forum I've posted in order to follow up with a vindictive comment. Wow..that BB question really upset you huh?

William Fuld 05-20-06 01:48 PM

Keith Uhlich wrote about some of the differences between the two cuts here: http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the May 14 entry.

hondo21 05-20-06 02:20 PM

So, from that blog description, it seems that the "extended" cut is not just a longer version. But the two are really edited differently, with some things in the shorter theatrical that aren't in the longer version.

cupcake jesus 05-20-06 03:31 PM

Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie

Saw this for the first time a little over a week ago when I went to see L'Enfant. I don't think that the film was what the couple had expected. I liked it, though. It was like a French Gus Van Sant film.

cheers,

-the Jesus

PopcornTreeCt 05-22-06 05:37 PM

So, back on topic. Is this coming out on DVD or should I just buy the version that is out now?

Cameron 09-12-06 12:10 AM

anybody know what is exclusive about the Best Buy disc here...

fryinpan1 09-12-06 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
anybody know what is exclusive about the Best Buy disc here...

The Best Buy disc just has different cover packaging.

Best Buy:
http://www.dvdaf-pics.com/thumbs/32/80332.gif

Regular:
http://www.dvdaf-pics.com/thumbs/59/66459.gif

animatedude 09-12-06 09:27 AM

as i know, the best buy exclsuive does have the original artwork but with a slipcase of the first pic.i wonder if i can find any of these left..anyone wants to sell his bestbuy exclusive or found it somewhere over amazon marketplace or ebay?

speedy1961 09-12-06 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
as i know, the best buy exclsuive does have the original artwork but with a slipcase of the first pic.i wonder if i can find any of these left..anyone wants to sell his bestbuy exclusive or found it somewhere over amazon marketplace or ebay?

This BB exclusive is on sale as part of a 2 for $20 deal which can be seen in my Best Buy thread in the Bargains forum. The thread to look for is 9/17 - 9/23/06

Cameron 09-13-06 02:40 AM

so its just a slipcover....disc is exactly the same.... bummer

PopcornTreeCt 09-13-06 08:05 PM

So, I finally bought this movie and have watched it 3 times already. It's probably one of my favorite movies of recent years and will gladly double dip on an extended version. That's all I wanted to say.