Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Russell S
Do you even realize how ridiculous this comment sounds coming from someone arguing on an internet message board?
Old 02-02-06, 12:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 930 Likes on 779 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
I know what i feel about life....that it is too short and that i don't intend to waste most of it in front of a screen watching movies.
man, you haven't lived until you waste your life in front of a screen watching movies.
Old 02-02-06, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hermes10 - Tell me the big secret about the meaning of life then if you are so privy to it? I know what i feel about life....that it is too short and that i don't intend to waste most of it in front of a screen watching movies.
Why?

If you enjoy watching films, then why not spend your time watching them? You're doing something you enjoy.
Old 02-02-06, 12:11 PM

who thinks Billyspunk , james2025a , and T1000 are the same person?
Old 02-02-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a lot of people here who post saying that they have a large collection of DVDs that they have bought and have not even gotten round to watching yet. Now anyone that tries and defend this as being anything other than idiotic consumerism is wasting their time.
To address this point.... a Large Collection of Dvds=Convenience

Plain and simple.

I can watch whatever I want... When I want.

No fucking late fees... No Annoying Customers.... No Lines....etc.

As far as the money spent in building a large library of films.... well that's different for everybody.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but most DVDtalk Members are not your average consumers, simply because of the vast amount infomation that is available to us (insider info, misprices, clubs, exchanges and bargain deals)

Therefore... many of us don't pay MSRP for a DVD.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 02-02-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Therefore... many of us don't pay MSRP for a DVD
Please don't brag about the cheap prices you pay!!! Many people have to pay more than MSRP!!! It's not fair!!!!

And yes Billyspunk and james2025a are most likely the same person. I thought that myself.
Old 02-02-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
And yes Billyspunk and james2025a are most likely the same person. I thought that myself.
Agreed.

MATT
Old 02-02-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for Billyspunk/james2025a all I have to say is...

"Troll! In the dungeons! Thought you ought to know."
Old 02-02-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well i am happy for you. You live a life similar to mine. But as others have pointed out, these threads offer nothing of any use but pure bragging rights. I come here to read interesting insightful threads. These seem to be glorified back slapping.

And as for the criticism, well i am just trying to demonstrate that a lot of time spent in front of a TV screen does not a happy marriage make. At the end of the day i am simply giving back as good as i get. Sorry you don't like that.
You have to understand that people at a site like this one aren't going to even begin to agree with you. If you're an atheist, you won't get very far in a fundamentalist forum, even if you're certain you're right.

That said, if this is a strong belief for you, then there are ways to make your voice heard. This forum just isn't such a venue, and you have to udnerstand that people have the right to waste away their lives if they want. You can go into law and try to pass legislation that will limit people's TV or DVD viewing, or you can go into social science or cultural policy and conduct studies that show deletrious effects that then may influence lawmakers. Or you can start your own Internet radio show or blog where you talk about these things. Etc.
Old 02-02-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right around Christmas I passed the 1,000 mark but decided to sell some, and now im at like 997, lol. I have been collecting since May 1997 when I had to preorder/raincheck a Toshiba dvd player from Sears....back when dvd players came w/ free movies.....I think it was like $300?
Old 02-02-06, 01:49 PM
Banned

Wow, so many opinions, so little time to defend them all! I was just trying to make a point. Why would someone start a thread to ask how many people have over 1000 dvd's? I mean who really cares? People tell me if I don't like it don't read it, but when you see so many titles about how can you not see it? I have absolutely no interest in how many dvd's a person has, that is NOT why I come on here. I like when people have links to their collection on dvdprofiler, dvdafficianado, etc, if you want to see what they have you click on their link, I myself do not want to know so I ignore it. Bottom line....ENOUGH with the bragging already!
Old 02-02-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thankfully, no. That would be to many DVD's for me to own. I wouldn't know what to do with all that mass.
Old 02-02-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

.....a lot of time spent in front of a TV screen does not a happy marriage make.
Thanks Dr. Phil. I need you to guide me.

As far as the question of replacing all the dvd versions when HD discs get here....thats phycobabble. I've explained this before.

Tell me the big secret about the meaning of life then if you are so privy to it? I know what i feel about life....that it is too short and that i don't intend to waste most of it in front of a screen watching movies.
Let's see....I went for a skydive at 7:30am, had brunch with the mother-in-law, checked in on my employees who are packing a house, and stopped at the hospital to see my 10 year old nephew...and it's only 2pm. I still have time to collect the bill, take the wife to dinner and viddey 2 films before beddybye time. Jesus people....it all comes down to TIME management. Some people got it....some people don't. So sorry so sad.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 02-02-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
Wow, so many opinions, so little time to defend them all! I was just trying to make a point. Why would someone start a thread to ask how many people have over 1000 dvd's? I mean who really cares? People tell me if I don't like it don't read it, but when you see so many titles about how can you not see it? I have absolutely no interest in how many dvd's a person has, that is NOT why I come on here. I like when people have links to their collection on dvdprofiler, dvdafficianado, etc, if you want to see what they have you click on their link, I myself do not want to know so I ignore it. Bottom line....ENOUGH with the bragging already!
Brother,

I think you need to go to the avsforum and preach your Gospel.
Old 02-02-06, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Brother,

I think you need to go to the avsforum and preach your Gospel.
I love most of that forum. The HD Programming and Display threads are essential information. They also have the local HD programming threads for local issues.
Old 02-02-06, 02:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yes, my husband and I are addicted (as I have said elsewhere)...please forgive us!
Old 02-02-06, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
who thinks Billyspunk , james2025a , and T1000 are the same person?
Nope. I'm not. I don't even know those two.
Old 02-02-06, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my current count won't be growing much more than what it is this year since we just bought a new car. we figured having a new car is much better than buying another 500 DVDs this year and driving our old "heap". I also think I'm skipping out on the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff this year too. next year I'll pick up my purchases again I'm sure.
Old 02-02-06, 03:07 PM

gutwrencher - Well i did "think" when i wrote my post. If you cannot take constructive criticism for your actions then i am sorry. I am merely trying to point out to people that whilst it is nice to have a good DVD collection there are only so many hours in the day and days in peoples lifes. Too many people seem to be getting their priorities wrong in that time.

hermes10 - Tell me the big secret about the meaning of life then if you are so privy to it? I know what i feel about life....that it is too short and that i don't intend to waste most of it in front of a screen watching movies. And you dare to call me a "sad sack".....hahahaha.....you not only need to find the meaning of life.....you need to get one too.

whotony - When i say "to be honest" it means that i am speaking about what i believe. And i will tell you who i am to make my post....i am just like you and everyone else. I am a member of this board who simply wishes to express the way that i feel. And my post wasn't "stupid" it was valid comment, so deal with it.

The only reason i am making this post is that people are tending to be rude towards my comments instead of reading it and respecting my opinion. I am not trying to offend anyone by my comments, i am just trying to show people that is it really a good idea to buy so many DVD's? If you are a millionaire then i can understand...but anyone that works for a living and pays bills in life knows that there is a point where it becomes a little bit rediculous.
As far as your reply to me goes, try re-reading what I wrote a few times. Maybe you'll figure out that what I said is quite different from what you seem to think I said. I'm not going to waste my time responding to remarks generated by your sloppy reading skills, but I will respond if you manage to get it right.

In the meantime, how about some of us come over to your house and evaluate how you're living your life? We'll be glad to tell you everything we think you're doing wrong. It will be what we honestly believe --honestly. Then you can stop doing all the things we don't believe you should be doing, and improve your life. Oh, and if someone here called you stupid, you shouldn't be offended, because they weren't trying to offend you, they were just trying to show you how it would be a good idea for you to have different ideas, choose different words when your write, and change your life for the better.
Old 02-02-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just realized that I don't recall a post from Billyspunk that wasn't about how stupid people are for buying a lot of DVDs.
Old 02-08-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally i have around the 600 mark. But to be honest i think that anyone who has more than 1000 films is wasting a hell of a lot of money. Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt. I think there is a point where it becomes a little silly. Who has the time to rewatch such collections. Large DVD collections or any large collection of anything in general is usually for rich kid types who's parents do not have an idea about how to properly raise children with the right respect for money, or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.

600 man. 600!!!!

Now, if you started in with your wasting time garbage and only owned 100, then maybe(well, probably not) I'd stop and think about the validity of your comments. However, we all know that 1000 is the new 600, and in a few years, even you will have that many discs.

As for me, I'm a nutjob. I just crossed the mark (with a title count--probably many, many more discs since I have a lot of TV and multidisc sets), and I've been collecting since 1997. That's 9 years. I don't think I've necessarily wasted a ton of money, since I find very good deals for much of what I buy. Plus, I don't have cable, don't go out to the bar or partying. I don't smoke or do drugs, and am single with no kids or house payment. I work, but am also active in the community music scene, and I like my collection to share with my extended family and friends. For a while, I actually worked for a video store, which yielded even better buys on many of my purchases. I'm actually cutting down a bit, but I still have many sets yet to buy.
Old 02-08-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shill66
Damn, sucks for you. My wife and I love watching movies together.
Old 02-08-06, 11:11 AM

I just got 3 new boxsets, so I'm at about 160 now.

I got two of them off Amazon. First time I've used them for anything.
Old 02-08-06, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by T1000
I just got 3 new boxsets, so I'm at about 160 now.

I got two of them off Amazon. First time I've used them for anything.
and that's relevant how to this thread?
Old 02-08-06, 01:08 PM

It's probably more related to the thread then your response was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.