DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/454349-how-many-here-have-collection-over-1000-dvds.html)

AsmodeusVice 02-01-06 02:01 AM

How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's

In seeing other threads talking about news articles on big collections, showing your HT, and various other similarities, I was curious as to how many ADDICTS there are on this board.

Just about everyone I know has roughly about 50 DVD's with a few that have about 100-200. I've waded through the show you HT thread and seen that there are a good many that have a nice library of DVD's.

But how many of you are true collectors to have amassed what my friends call "too many" shiny discs?

In talking to my coworkers today about the subject, I told them that I just hit the 2000 mark and jaws hit the floor.

How many of you have hit at least the 1000 mark? And if higher, how big?
How do people react to you telling them how many DVD's you do have?
Does looking at your collection make you feel proud of the accomplishment?

I'm really curious to know as I really don't think my collection size is that big a deal because they're all films I enjoy watching, but still can't help but feel proud of the library I've accumulated.

Give us your thoughts...

Forum Troll 02-01-06 02:42 AM

I've got somewhere between 500 and 600. First DVD I ever got was in 1997, the original snapper release of "Goldeneye". I was working at Sears, and that was the demo disc they sent us to play. It was an RCA player, and it displaced our venerated Laserdisc player that had show "Lion King" over 2000 times. Ah, the good ole days.

nemein 02-01-06 05:24 AM

But how many of you are true nutjobs to have amassed what my friends call "too many" shiny discs?
Insulting people is probably not the best way to get them to answer you question -ohbfrank-

AsmodeusVice 02-01-06 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Insulting people is probably not the best way to get them to answer you question -ohbfrank-

I guess my attempt at humor fails for some. ;)

I would hope that after reading alot of the threads in the otter that skins would be thick enough to understand my joke.

speedy1961 02-01-06 07:15 AM

I've got over 4000 at the moment. I'll let you know the true # when I finish inventorying.

FiveO 02-01-06 07:15 AM

I'm up around 600 also. Its gonna take awhile to hit 1000. I'm running out of DVD's to buy and upgrade. Its all about new ones coming out now.

Eh. Thats ok though. More money to buy things like food & clothing and pay for my heating bill :)

littlefuzzy 02-01-06 07:16 AM

I'm a nut job, and proud of it!! :banana:

I figure anyone who has over 2000 DVDs, who says that people with 1000+ are nutjobs, is going for humor, not insults...

Anyway, I am right around 1000, myself. I've sold a few, and I don't have everything entered, so I am not sure of the exact figure.

EDIT: I also have about 300 laserdiscs, and over 600 video games!

marcellusk 02-01-06 07:49 AM

Around 1200

Seth Gecko 02-01-06 07:51 AM

I guess that make me a 'nutjob'. I have over 1100. I don't feel proud of my collection but I definitely can find something to watch, no matter my mood, at anytime. I don't display my DVDs so friends and family don't think I'm crazy.

Mr. Cinema 02-01-06 07:52 AM

600+ different titles. Probably added at least 50 from CH over the past couple of weeks due to enrollments and those damn buy 1 get 1 free deals that won't go away.

johnglad 02-01-06 07:54 AM

About 1200 dvds, but I think I am pretty much maxed out. Very little shelf space left in the current house, and I'll be waiting and looking at the HD offerings from this point forward. Very happy Netflix has announced immediate availability for renting HD titles.

darkhawk 02-01-06 07:56 AM

Just over 2700

whotony 02-01-06 08:11 AM

i wasnt insulted.
i have between 1000-2000.
ilost count about a year ago when i started redoing the theater room. most of them are in a closet some under the stairs some in the bedroom.

matome 02-01-06 08:20 AM

I'll probably go over the 2000 DVD mark this month. Also have 600 laserdiscs. Space has become a serious issue, but hey I'm never at a loss when I want to watch something.

mndtrp 02-01-06 08:23 AM

Hmmm . . . I've probably got less than 200. I've started renting the hell out of Netflix and Hollywood Video, supplanting my need to buy.

I know, I don't belong on a DVD (fanatic)Talk forum.

marty888 02-01-06 08:36 AM

About 2000 .... my DVD Afficianado catalog is pretty much up to date.

rfduncan 02-01-06 08:37 AM

Counting all the TV sets I own I must have at LEAST 1000 DVDs.

mdc3000 02-01-06 10:02 AM

I'm still inputting into profiler (so if you click it, the collection isn't all there), but I have approx. 1350 (from my excel list on my comp). I've greatly slowed down over the last year though, only buying a FEW big releases...although I still buy TV boxsets like mad...I have slowed in anticipation of HD...but once that comes out, I assume the ship will be sailing full speed ahead (may need to build more shelves)...

I do have the biggest collection of any of my friends...but most of my friends are like me, 25yrs just out of school, working for pennies to pay back a student loan...now if I hadn't bought ANY dvds, I probably wouldn't have needed a student loan, but seriously, what's the point of even going to film school if you're not going to be able to WATCH a lot of films... DVDs have been worth more to me than my friggin' education, so I'm quite happy and proud of my collection, even if it means I'll be in the hole for a while...

MATT

Kim Olav Svines 02-01-06 10:15 AM

According to my DVDprofiler http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Beastus I have 3157 titles at the moment. I do not know how many laserdiscs and VHS I got, but nowhere near the amount of DVDs.

My LP and CD collection is getting close to 2500 I think.

TOLEN 02-01-06 10:20 AM

According to my wife....way to many. :)

Can someone count for me??

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/5...oom13sr.th.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9...29223au.th.jpg
click to enlarge.

tofferman 02-01-06 10:23 AM

About 1600 and counting...and yes I do wonder if I will ever get enough time to see many of my dvds more than once.

james2025a 02-01-06 10:32 AM

Personally i have around the 600 mark. But to be honest i think that anyone who has more than 1000 films is wasting a hell of a lot of money. Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt. I think there is a point where it becomes a little silly. Who has the time to rewatch such collections. Large DVD collections or any large collection of anything in general is usually for rich kid types who's parents do not have an idea about how to properly raise children with the right respect for money, or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.

pilot 02-01-06 10:34 AM

over 1200, prolly closer to 1300 though..

AsmodeusVice 02-01-06 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.

I most definetly fall into that catagory. :lol:

pilot 02-01-06 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
Personally i have around the 600 mark. But to be honest i think that anyone who has more than 1000 films is wasting a hell of a lot of money. Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt. I think there is a point where it becomes a little silly. Who has the time to rewatch such collections. Large DVD collections or any large collection of anything in general is usually for rich kid types who's parents do not have an idea about how to properly raise children with the right respect for money, or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.

that's not true..at least I do not think so ... I won't be rebuying on blu-ray or anything ...and not everybody who has large collections are kids ..There's many people here in their 30's and 40's (and probably older) with collections over 1000 ..it's not just the "ruch kids" ..