Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's

Old 02-01-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Counting all my kids DVDs we have over a thousand easily. Its hardly a waste of money. My DVD collection has been one of the best investments I have ever made.
Old 02-01-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
Personally i have around the 600 mark. But to be honest i think that anyone who has more than 1000 films is wasting a hell of a lot of money.
All I'm going to say is.....
Columbia House
DVD Bargain Forum
Mis-prices
Exchange Forum

[b]Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt. I think there is a point where it becomes a little silly. Who has the time to rewatch such collections. Large DVD collections or any large collection of anything in general is usually for rich kid types who's parents do not have an idea about how to properly raise children with the right respect for money, or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.
Right....

Well...I'm not rich and I have somewhat of a life (when you factor out college, my 40+hr a week job and my wife)
Old 02-01-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have 1120 according to DVDAF. I have sold a few hundred so I have been around 1500. I also have around 100 LD. I do not plan to rebuy much of my catalog on BD or HD-DVD. Maybe certain films, Matrix etc. I actually would probably sell a lot of them, but the going price is so little, I would rather just keep them. I am a big movie fan and enjoy watching them at home, so I guess I "have no life at all." Yes, I should manage my money better, it would make my life easier and probably better if I did not buy DVDs, but I gain enjoyment from my collection so it is a tradeoff I can live with for now.
Old 02-01-06, 10:57 AM

I just hit 150 titles and to me that's a lot. My family and friends probably think it's too many. They'd probably have me sent to a mental hospital if I was over 1,000.

I'd hate to have over 1,000 DVDs and be faced with the question of buying them all over again on a new format. That would be horrific.

I try to set a high bar for what I buy. It has to be something that I not only like, but will want to watch repeatedly. I don't need to buy every movie I like. Sentimentality/nostalgia is also a motivator, for old movies and TV shows. Used to be that was all it took. Now, I factor in price, too. I look for the great deals.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 02-01-06 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-01-06, 10:58 AM
Banned

I'm 15 titles away from 600. Granted, I've been "collecting" maybe 3 years now, and have flipped atleast 200 movies in that time, be it financial hardships, upgrades, or loss of interest in a film. I have the luxury of 3 free rentals a night working at Hollywood, and I usually take advantage of that. I'm incredibly picky, and not to mention frugal, paying an average of $5 per DVD I add to my collection by way of pawn shops and used video game stores.

1,000 isn't so nutty; you don't criticize your local library for having "too much" stuff to read, do ya? Granted, it's quite the investment, but just as long as said collectors have their priorities in order, there's nothing wrong with a larger than normal DVD library.
Old 02-01-06, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TOLEN
According to my wife....way to many.

Can someone count for me??

click to enlarge.

Do you have multiple copies of the same movie? If so, why??
Old 02-01-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 at the moment. I have probably sold at least 200 more at some point. My buying has sharply decreased as I have tried to actually sit down and watch everything (at least half of the collection is unwatched). I just takes so long, especially with TV shows where a single season may take a week to watch. I am really trying to limit myslef to titles I really want to see badly and absolutely great deals.
Old 02-01-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me.
Old 02-01-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over 700 here. My buying has seriously slowed due to space issues and the need to start saving for a new house (for more DVD's of course...and the fact that our house has shrunk considerably since having another baby 2 years ago). I may reach 1000 when I go over to the Blu-ray/HD camp but I'm going to wait a while for that. I have never been an early adopter of new tech. I like for it to be established before I take the plunge so I don't end up buying something that will join the Betamax and DIVX players of the past.
Old 02-01-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1224 as of 02-01-06. Increasing by 4 DVD's in a couple days. I didn't plan to have so many. It just happened.
Old 02-01-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hello, my name is RoboDad, and I'm a nutjob.

Currently somewhere around 2050 DVD titles (but I'm sure the number of actual discs is close to twice that, if not more).
Old 02-01-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have over 1600 titles on dvd. Why, are you going to rob me?
Old 02-01-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am in my 30's not rich. But, I work for my money and spend it the way I like. And most of my dvd's came from the internet craze a few years back. Companies like Reel.com were having insane deals. For example. They would have a dvd for 50% off then have multiple use coupons for $5 off. And also give free shipping. 800.com had a deal 3 dvd's for $1 (incl.shipping). Granted most of these companies went bankrupt. But, I was able to get a lot more dvd's than I normally would have gotten.

I have to fill my basement with something...if not my wife and kids would take it over.
Old 02-01-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About 2500, and I don't have to justify it to anyone.
Old 02-01-06, 01:52 PM

I have at least 1000 probably more. And proud of it!
Old 02-01-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally i have around the 600 mark. But to be honest i think that anyone who has more than 1000 films is wasting a hell of a lot of money. Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt. I think there is a point where it becomes a little silly. Who has the time to rewatch such collections. Large DVD collections or any large collection of anything in general is usually for rich kid types who's parents do not have an idea about how to properly raise children with the right respect for money, or people who are so sad that they simply don't have a life at all.
Thats a load of horse shit. Silly to you....a serious passion for someone else. Some of us actually work for a living and can afford, through hard work, to do whatever we want if we work/try hard enough. Also, a large film library is just that...a library. You don't need to shove everything down your throat all at once. Whats the fucking hurry? Are they going to melt? C'mon people....think!

Those kinds of people will buy new versions of all these films again on Blu-ray no doubt
Wrong. Only selected titles. Films like She Devils On Wheels or Virgins From Hell do not need an upgrade.

How many of you have hit at least the 1000 mark? And if higher, how big?
Reached that a long time ago. Sitting at around 2,200 titles with a few to add.

How do people react to you telling them how many DVD's you do have?
I don't pat attention any longer....really don't give a shit anymore. They used to just drop their jaw to the floor, quiver a little bit and then wipe the lip drool away.

Does looking at your collection make you feel proud of the accomplishment?
No, it just makes me realize I am one serious motherfucker.

In seeing other threads talking about news articles on big collections, showing your HT, and various other similarities, I was curious as to how many ADDICTS there are on this board.
It's been 2 years since I was featured in the NY Times with my library. Noticing big collections is sorta old news to me.

The library will grow as big as it needs to be...regardless of the mixed formats.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 02-01-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1443 DVDs, 1815 titles according to DVDAF(in sig). About 200 more that I have yet to get DVDAF to approve of - took me two months to get one title listed - and many of the wife's and kids' DVDs are not listed either. So let's say around 2000. Just don't ask me how many CDs we have.
Old 02-01-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got about 700 and ever since i started working at a studio my collection has grown exponentially, but I'm definitely gonna start weeding it because honestly I don't have the time to watch everything and don't know if i'll ever get the time to, which sucks.
Old 02-01-06, 02:08 PM
Retired

Only a shade over 200 here in 8 years of buying them. I doubt I'll ever get over 1000. I'm pretty much just a bit beyond casually into movies, and have such a busy social and career schedule I just don't have the time to get head over heels into it.
Old 02-01-06, 02:22 PM

It depends on how you count. If you count each title or TV series as one unit I am around 1900. But if you count each shiny disc then I would be well over 3000 discs with all the TV series and multiple disc sets. But my wife still loves and puts up with me.
Old 02-01-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have over 1000, but there are still quite a few I'd need before I'd ever feel my collection was close to complete.

I might be able to weed out 10-20 or so I don't much want to watch again (if I was really liberal about it); I won't though because half of them I'd probably end up wanting again.
Old 02-01-06, 02:43 PM
Defunct Account

3500+ with about 500-600 of those being DVDs that I got for 'free' in exchange for reviewing them.

Like Gut, I don't tell people how many I have anymore. I actually avoid it. SOmeone in Best Buy was bragging about their 100+ collection a few weeks ago and I just said "Way to go!" I used to keep close track of how many I had, but after a certain point I realized that there's no point to it. I don't collect films to impress others, but for my own enjoyment.
Old 02-01-06, 02:48 PM

I have just passed 1,000 this month but purchases are slowing.

The main reason for buying so many is the lack of other entertainment options for someone who lives in a regional area. If you don't want to get drunk every night there is simply nothing else to do. No nightclubs, entertainment facilities, 50km to the nearest movie theatre, no access to cable or satelite television, so DVD's become the main source of entertainment.
Old 02-01-06, 02:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got around 300-400. I don't know if I'll ever get to 1000
Old 02-01-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by videophile
Like Gut, I don't tell people how many I have anymore. I actually avoid it. SOmeone in Best Buy was bragging about their 100+ collection a few weeks ago and I just said "Way to go!" I used to keep close track of how many I had, but after a certain point I realized that there's no point to it. I don't collect films to impress others, but for my own enjoyment.
exactly. I used to love the reaction of people when they would see/hear about my collection. then it slowly turned into a "do you mind if I borrowed ______?". it was to the point that I had to tell some people that I'm not Blockbuster.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 02-01-06 at 03:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.