Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How many here have a collection over 1000 DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
285. I'm very very picky about what I let in my collection. If it isn't going to get multiple viewings, I'm talking for or five for a movie, it doesn't go in.
Old 05-03-07, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My collection is currently at 784.

I only have about 20 or so that I haven't watched yet. In fact, the last 2 DVDs I bought ("New York, New York" and "The Last Waltz") fall into this catagory.

My collection is mainly filled with many movies that I've grown up watching, so as a result, a lot of my collection is filled with films made in the last 30 years, but there are some great old ones in there, including "Sunrise", "Fantasia", "Sunset Boulevard", and "Ben-Hur" among others.

I've been collecting since July 2000, about four months before I finally bought my player. This was because I found the original long-OOP SE of "Little Shop of Horrors" at a Suncoast. I was almost 15 at the time, and I had to beg my mother like a child for me to have it. It was the best fight I ever fought and won.

People are shocked when I tell them how many DVDs I have, even when I tell them that I'm a movie freak. They don't understand that I'm absolutely serious about what I say. When I let people borrow stuff, they have to promise me that they won't screw with them. They do, then I guarantee they never touch my stuff again. My sister is the only person in my family I let borrow my stuff, only because she knows I care to have my collection in good shape.

I do have some bad movies, but the one thing to understand with me is that I like almost anything. Out of the 784 DVDs I own, only 51 of them are TV releases.

That's about it. I know I don't have as many as some of you, but to explain the big influx of DVDs, I worked at Media Play and the employee discount helped me get about 350-400 DVDs on basically discounted product.
Old 05-03-07, 10:37 PM

I guess I'll throw my hat in here. According to Dvdspot, I have a little over 1200, with 8 more I bought today and about 20 I know isn't in their database yet. I've been collecting since December of '99 and used stores are my best friend.
Old 05-04-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have 3000 DVDs, with an average amount of 2.5 hours of content on each disc, you would have approximately 7500 hours of content. Assuming you just sat on your ass and watched movies for 16 hours a day, it would take about a year and four months to watch your entire collection. And if you only watched DVDs for just 4 hours a day (a quarter of your non-sleeping day) it would take well over 5 years to complete.
Old 05-04-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Wannabe
If you have 3000 DVDs, with an average amount of 2.5 hours of content on each disc, you would have approximately 7500 hours of content. Assuming you just sat on your ass and watched movies for 16 hours a day, it would take about a year and four months to watch your entire collection. And if you only watched DVDs for just 4 hours a day (a quarter of your non-sleeping day) it would take well over 5 years to complete.
It'd take almost two decades to reread all my books

Count me as a recent member of the 1000-DVD club. I bought about 3/4 of the DVDs in the past two years. I blame DVD Talk's bargains forum. However, I suspect that plenty of the bargains are the result of timing- price drops and anticipation of high def. discs.
Old 05-04-07, 09:54 AM

Hi, my name is Loc Nar, and I have over 1,000 DVD's.
Old 05-04-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe
The point in having a large library of films isn't to watch and rewatch everything you have, but more of a matter of convenience, and a collection of things you're a fan of. There are many movies I own that I know full well I will never watch again in their entirety. But there are scenes and sections of those movies I know I'll want to see over and over - and that's the point of having a library.
Old 05-04-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The point in having a large library of films isn't to watch and rewatch everything you have, but more of a matter of convenience, and a collection of things you're a fan of. There are many movies I own that I know full well I will never watch again in their entirety. But there are scenes and sections of those movies I know I'll want to see over and over - and that's the point of having a library.
Agreed.
Hell I buy alot of TV ON DVD sets, which some i might rewatch but by me buying DVD's every week i really have no time too. It's great to have them on the shelfs because one day if you have kids or something you could show them shows that i grew up on.
Hell there are only a select # of movies that i have watched more than once but I am proud to have the movies on my shelf and its a nice feeling to know that you own your favorite TV show/Movie.