DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Grizzly Man DVD is missing a scene

Old 12-26-05, 07:08 PM

Grizzly Man DVD is missing a scene

Just wanted to warn everbody that the DVD of Werner Herzog's amazing doc, Grizzly Man is missing the scene where Treadwell appears on David Letterman. I'd imagine they had some dispute over the rights of the footage or something. Not the biggest loss but still sucks that the film's been altered.
Old 12-26-05, 08:54 PM

That accounts for the "This Film has been modified" message at the beginning.

At least it's only Letterman and not some of the incredible footage shot by Treadwell.
Old 12-28-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am still buying this badboy today, with or without that scene. Excellent flick.
Old 12-28-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Frank A
That accounts for the "This Film has been modified" message at the beginning.

At least it's only Letterman and not some of the incredible footage shot by Treadwell.
And Letterman missing is no big deal to me...I can live without it. Saw it last night and it was a fantastic viddey! Could have used more back story on Tread though. That bear rumble was awesome. And yes, I would have liked to have had the killing audio.

Great job, Herzog.......love the reference to Kinski.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 12-28-05 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 07:30 PM

For those who saw this in theaters, was there any interesting tidbits from the Letterman interview? It probably wasn't a big loss in the DVD cut, but I'm curious.
Old 12-28-05, 07:33 PM

If I recall correctly, the Letterman footage contains a pretty haunting piece of unintentional foreshadowing when Treadwell makes a reference to his (eventual) demise. Shame they had to cut this scene, for a variety of reasons.
Old 12-28-05, 09:08 PM

From my understanding, the Letterman footage was removed, not because of a rights issue, but at the request of Letterman, who felt uncomfortable with it given the ultimate outcome of the story.
Old 12-29-05, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by JimJ
... Grizzly Man is missing the scene where Treadwell appears on David Letterman.
In the scene Letterman asks, in a humorous way, if someday we'll all be seeing a story of Treadwell being eaten by the grizzlies. And there's the expected audience laughter. I was disappointed to find out the scene is missing in the DVD. The scene points out how Treadwall had become part of this country's pop culture at the time and had become well-known enough to appear on a show like Letterman's. Letterman's comment, obviously, added a level of darkness (Do we sometimes ignore the danger inherent in stories like this because we enjoy the thrill too much?). While the move deals with our interaction with nature, this very brief scene (a couple of seconds) seemed important to what Herzog was trying to suggest about celebrity, personal goals and dreams, dangers inherent in these stories, and our eagerness to laugh at the misguided. I am also a little surprised that many comments above seem so unconcerned about modifying a movie from its original release for a DVD release. It's not a practice I like to see.
Old 12-31-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I saw this in theaters. I could see why the footage was cut, but I think it was important to show that Treadwell achieved some form of fame and that he wasn't always a complete loon. Also, it makes more sense when he alludes to Letterman later.
Old 12-31-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No sale.

Thanks for the warning.

Originally Posted by inDefiance
I am also a little surprised that many comments above seem so unconcerned about modifying a movie from its original release for a DVD release. It's not a practice I like to see.

Agreed.
Old 12-31-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inDefiance
I am also a little surprised that many comments above seem so unconcerned about modifying a movie from its original release for a DVD release. It's not a practice I like to see.
This movie is a fairly special case, in which most of the footage was shot for reasons other than making the movie that was eventually made. As was stated above, they didn't have total control over the clip and so they had no choice but to take it out when Letterman asked them. This is not the beginning of trend.

That being said, it's still a great movie with or without the scene, and to pass it up just because of that would be a mistake.
Old 01-10-06, 07:03 PM
Banned

does anyone have a link to view the letterman footage that was cut?
Old 01-10-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with inDefiance on this issue, and this title just went from a purchase to a rental.
Old 01-11-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Complete bullshit. Its part of the movie and it probably had to do with money. If Letterman gave his OK to put it in the theaterical movie, he wasn't afraid of publicity regarding the clip.

I can't believe people aren't more pissed off about this.
Old 01-11-06, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
This movie is a fairly special case, in which most of the footage was shot for reasons other than making the movie that was eventually made. As was stated above, they didn't have total control over the clip and so they had no choice but to take it out when Letterman asked them. This is not the beginning of trend.

That being said, it's still a great movie with or without the scene, and to pass it up just because of that would be a mistake.
I completely agree.
Old 01-11-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just rented it the other night... very interesting movie. Loved the animals but Tim was a complete wacko. Still glad I saw it though, very well done docu.
Old 01-11-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

....it's still a great movie with or without the scene, and to pass it up just because of that would be a mistake.

No doubt. Just because I bought the dvd does not mean that I was not pissed. I just chose to be pissed for about 5min rather than 5 days or 5 weeks. Pass up the film/dvd because the Letterman clip is MIA? Psychobabble.
Old 01-12-06, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by chanster
Complete bullshit. Its part of the movie and it probably had to do with money. If Letterman gave his OK to put it in the theaterical movie, he wasn't afraid of publicity regarding the clip.
I don't know - it's doubtful that Letterman actually personally signed off on the clip to begin with. He's got licensing people for that. Then maybe later when the film came out, he saw it or someone told him about it, and he wanted the clip removed. That makes more sense than the idea that he was demanding more money. In any case, it's too bad, as it's an eery scene. Maybe Letterman thought it was in bad taste to include it.
Old 02-03-06, 01:36 AM
JM1

I would agree with your comments, Indy. It's one thing to agree to the footage being used initially, and bear in mind (no pun intended) it's doubtful Letterman would have viewed the film before it was released - but once it is released and there are articles, interviews with Herzog and reviews which talked a lot about the disturbing nature of some of the footage (and audio, though this is never actually heard), it becomes more prevalent in peoples minds and is talked about a lot (especially here in the UK at the moment, where it has just had it's theatrical release), obviously Letterman has become more aware of the effect of the film itself and his footage, and has had time to reflect on his decision to include it.

So I guess I can understand where he is coming from.

I just bought the R1 release, and never saw the film at the cinema so I have never seen that footage, but I am not crying or moaning about it's exclusion because I can understand the reasons for it.

If others want to invoke the old knee-jerk reaction to having their movie tampered with regardless of the reasons behind it, fine. You go your way, I'll go mine.
Old 02-03-06, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie is being shown on the Discovery Channel tonight in Canada, if anyone is interested.
Old 02-03-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is on Discovery in America also, but even better, afterwards, they are showing a documentary (that should have been on the DVD) that discusses the claims that some of the interviewees were actors and not his real friends (I never thought that).
Old 02-03-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
It is on Discovery in America also, but even better, afterwards, they are showing a documentary (that should have been on the DVD) that discusses the claims that some of the interviewees were actors and not his real friends (I never thought that).

Hmm, I wonder if the excised footage will be included. May have to DVR it even though I have the DVD from Netflix right now (watching it this weekend).
Old 02-03-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
I thought several people in the film seemed more like actors than real people. This wouldn't surprise me. Not that I really care, the foootage in the wilderness is the best part of the film.
Old 02-03-06, 12:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

will the Letterman footage be on tonight?
Old 02-03-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.