Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Grizzly Man DVD is missing a scene

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have had the Discovery Channel broadcast on in the background - just saw the Letterman footage. It's short and non-essential, but is a nice bit of foreshadowing, and nicely sets up the first interview with Treadwell's former roommate. Looking forward to the documentary on the documentary.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-04-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimJ
Just wanted to warn everbody that the DVD of Werner Herzog's amazing doc, Grizzly Man is missing the scene where Treadwell appears on David Letterman. I'd imagine they had some dispute over the rights of the footage or something. Not the biggest loss but still sucks that the film's been altered.

I was suprised more that the footage of snuff where the grizzly Bear mauled and killed the person was not included.

It was funny the bear was strucked by a fryin pan during the fight
Old 02-04-06, 09:02 PM
MGR

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Have had the Discovery Channel broadcast on in the background - just saw the Letterman footage. It's short and non-essential ...
I haven't seen the film.
Approximately how long was the deleted Letterman footage?
Old 02-04-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Less than a minute.
Old 02-05-06, 08:06 AM
Banned

Just ordered the dvd a day ago & was surprised to see it on the discovery channel last night, So I DVR it, and am glad I did to have the extra doc at the end, which is for some strange reason not included on the DVD, and to have the moment of footage with David Letterman where he hauntingly quips, Now we're not going to read in some newspaper someday that you have been eaten by a grizzly bear are we?... something close to that, and yes there is a nervous laughter response from the audience IMO. Any way I too found Grizzly Man a fascinating documentary. I am looking forward to seeing it without the 201 commercial breaks throughout the broadcast last PM!!!
Old 02-05-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it on Discovery, and was enthralled the whole way. There were way too many commercials. Unreal. It was worth it for the bonus footage at the end though.
Old 02-05-06, 11:06 AM

Could someone who saw the extra footage on the Discovery Channel tell us a bit more about it? Exactly what was said about the alleged "fake friend" interviews? Thanks.
Old 02-05-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I thought several people in the film seemed more like actors than real people. This wouldn't surprise me. Not that I really care, the foootage in the wilderness is the best part of the film.

Hmm...I actually thought as much when I saw the movie, as the people seemed like their interviews were rehearsed. I would like to know more about this if info. develops.
If true, it still has no impact on the fact that Treadwell shot some great footage, and was still quite the loon.
Old 02-05-06, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Hmm...I actually thought as much when I saw the movie, as the people seemed like their interviews were rehearsed. I would like to know more about this if info. develops.
One of the things Herzog likes to do in his documentaries is not hide the artifice involved. I doubt he rehearses his interview subjects, but when you point a camera at people, they inevitably start acting, because they know they're being recorded. Some documentarians try to avoid this by getting the people to act more "naturally" but it seems like Herzog is more interested in the insights to be gained by letting people "act" for the camera since that's their natural instinct. He also likes to hold the camera on them after they've run out of things to say, just to see how they act then. There's more of this in The White Diamond and The Wheel of Time.
Old 02-05-06, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPritchett
Could someone who saw the extra footage on the Discovery Channel tell us a bit more about it? Exactly what was said about the alleged "fake friend" interviews? Thanks.
The doc was basically a round table discussion with/to Herzog? (don't think he was there in the room), and some of the other friends from the film, one of whom stated she never destroyed the audio tape of Treadwells & Amy's death as Herzog had suggested in the film, and she stated she "just couldn't do that" but she did not know why.
I didn't notice any mention of 'fake friend' interviews. I don't think I missed anything there. One of the gentleman introduced himself as a friend of Treadwells from California and he was also an 'actor' but I assumed he meant that it was his career and not 'acting' for the interview!
Anyone else notice anything from the approx. 35 min doc at the end of the broadcast ?
Old 02-05-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by smurr05
Anyone else notice anything from the approx. 35 min doc at the end of the broadcast ?
They showed a few of the thousands of photographs that he had taken over the years. Some were absolutely amazing.
Old 02-06-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. I would love to see an exhibit of his photography. Beautiful stuff.
Old 02-06-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is the missing scene the one where Grizzly man argues with Letterman over the seige on Christmas? That shouldn't have been cut...
Old 02-06-06, 10:33 AM

I'm bummed that I missed this airing of Grizzly Man on the discovery channel... I would have liked to have seen the extra doc. Maybe my gf dvr'd it. I'll find out later tonight. If not, I'm adding this to my blockbuster online queue.
Old 02-06-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

watched it just now (DVR from the first airing) and was suprised by the Letterman footage, had not been back to the thread since before the airing. As others have said, the short documentary after the film was quite interesting. I really wish it was included in the DVD. Also, they talked in the doc about people's morbid curiosity and wanting to hear the tape of the bear attack which resulted in the deaths. I have to admit, my morbid curiosity wants to hear it. Don't know why, just feel compelled to hear it after watching the whole movie. Overall, I was quite impressed and would not mind picking it up later on, especially if another release with more raw footage and stills is made.
Old 02-06-06, 06:30 PM

Could they be prepping us for...GASP!!!.....A Grizzly Man Special Edition DVD?

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 02-06-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just checked the Discovery website and it says that this show will replayed as follows:

Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 8:00 PM (ET)

Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM (ET)

Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 3:00 AM (ET)
Old 02-07-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Just checked the Discovery website and it says that this show will replayed as follows:

Great. Thanks for the information. I missed it when it aired on Discovery and would look to see the excised footage as well as the doc.
Old 03-01-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xage
I was suprised more that the footage of snuff where the grizzly Bear mauled and killed the person was not included.
No such footage exists or ever has existed. Are you referring to the audio?
Old 03-01-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Herzog said he never had any intention to include the audio of the killing. He said he didn't want to make a snuff film. I'm glad he didn't While there is a bit of morbid curiousity, I'm sure it would have left me feeling awful. Treadwell was kinda wackos though.
Old 03-01-06, 11:17 PM

maybe im the only one, but i pretty much hated the movie and what this guy stood for.......

he claimed to be some kind of naturalist who cared about the bears. any true naturalist wouldnt have interfered or made his presence so readily known to any grizzly bears. not only is it dangerous for him (obviously), but its dangerous for the bears as it conditions them to human contact. there is a show on MTV called the Wild Boys, it also has dumb crazy people doung dumb things with animals........
Old 03-02-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
But are you confusing the subject with the movie? I hate Hitler, but that doesn't mean I'm going to hate any movie a well done documentary done about him. Herzog points out many of the contradictions in this guy's life, the foolish decisions he made and how he recklessly endangered someone else's life.
Old 03-02-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by kovacs01
maybe im the only one, but i pretty much hated the movie and what this guy stood for.......

he claimed to be some kind of naturalist who cared about the bears. any true naturalist wouldnt have interfered or made his presence so readily known to any grizzly bears. not only is it dangerous for him (obviously), but its dangerous for the bears as it conditions them to human contact. there is a show on MTV called the Wild Boys, it also has dumb crazy people doung dumb things with animals........
I don't know why so many people think Herzog was glorifying Treadwell. If you were halfway paying attention, it was very obvious it wasn't the case.
Old 03-02-06, 07:16 PM

Most of the negative reviews of Grizzly Man are due the fact that they (the reviewers) liked or didn't like Treadwell. What's amazing, though, is that you see both sides. Some people say they hate the movie because it made Treadwell look bad and others say because it glorified him. Just the idea that people can go into the same movie and come out with polar opposite opinions of the intentions behind the film is fascinating.
Old 03-11-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa

Can anyone confirm this? I'm not seeing that at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.