Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm tired of Dvd Aficionado. What else is there?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I'm tired of Dvd Aficionado. What else is there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teamwinfan
Also, just as a side note.. I used to use DVD profiler, but they said I had to pay $30 for the premium version of their software in order to upload my collection online after I reached about 690 DVD titles in my collection. I then tried DVDAficionado which I didn't care for, and eventually wound up with DVDSpot.
Even at an average of $10 per movie, that's still a $6,900 collection. Probably much more unless you're a really good bargain shopper. And you can't spare $30 for the program?

Sorry, that's a big pet peeve of mine. It's a wonderful program and they deserve the $30.

Anyway, DVDProfiler gets my vote.
Old 12-23-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Even at an average of $10 per movie, that's still a $6,900 collection. Probably much more unless you're a really good bargain shopper. And you can't spare $30 for the program?

Sorry, that's a big pet peeve of mine. It's a wonderful program and they deserve the $30.

Well, its like the old saying goes. why drink the milk when you can marry the cow for free.
Old 12-23-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last time I looked into DVDProfiler, there was no Mac version. I assume this is still the case? I use both a Thinkpad and a PowerBook and I want to be able to catalog on both. I've just been using DVDaficionado, but if anyone knows of a better product for my situation, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-23-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
I started with DVDProfiler, ended up trying others that were out there and ended up back with DVDProfiler...I love it.

The offline feature is great and that alone makes it a no brainer!
Old 12-23-05, 04:31 PM
Banned

I format, and customize my own DVD profile, using Microsoft Works program. For me, it's more convenient because I don't have to pay any fees for the use of an internet services, which recipients are required to go online to gain access to their catalog. My personal DVD, and CD catalog can be access direct from my desktop, whenever I need to update, or delete data, without a necessity to go online. A project such as this, and others, gives me the opportunity to use my computer skills, which I love to do. Another advantage to this database is, all information are enabled, and currently have been saved onto a disc, in case of various computer defaults.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 12-24-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I was wondering that myself. They may not be the best out there but they do add your request.
Well. I tried to add Independence Day region 2 japan last year at this time. It's still not there. So, I don't know what else to do. It's very possible that I didn't do the right thing. However, If that is the case then it should be a little easier to submit. Thanks.
Old 12-23-05, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison

I actually happen to be a bargain shopper.. but the collection is still probably worth more than that just because I'm a box set whore. I'm in the process of figuring what I've blown on DVDs right now updating my DVDSpot purchase price information which I neglected to do when entering my collection.

At any rate, spending $30 on software that does what other sites are doing free just doesn't make any sense to me, especially when it's forced on me.. I don't know why I'd be forced to do it at around 690 when some of you all are in the thousands, but hey.. it did, so I made a switch and I couldn't be happier. On top of that, I have a G5 Powermac, and I was forced to run the software through Virtual PC.. so paying for software that I can't support natively wasn't really a big selling point either.
Old 12-24-05, 12:06 AM

http://www.delicious-monster.com/ :P
Old 12-24-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I use DVD Profiler and paid for it a long time ago, but I prefer the way I can sort on DVDAF.
Old 12-24-05, 01:02 AM

Didn't like Delicious Monster...
Old 12-24-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
dvdspot yo.
Old 12-24-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tacos
Well. I tried to add Independence Day region 2 japan last year at this time. It's still not there. So, I don't know what else to do. It's very possible that I didn't do the right thing. However, If that is the case then it should be a little easier to submit. Thanks.
One question, did you send them the UPC code of the DVD or the ASN numbers from Amazon in regards to this product so they can add it? That's not clear in your post if you did this or not.

If you did and the DVD still not there, I can see your problem with it.
Old 12-27-05, 10:23 PM

Unhappy with a lot of the websites other people have posted above, I decided I would work my ass off to come up with an alternative solution to DVD collection management. So if you're looking to try something new, you may want to check it out at www.flixsociety.com

There are collections, top lists, reviews, rental and theater logs, profiles, photo galleries, and more.
Old 12-28-05, 02:33 AM
Banned

Er...the new edition of DVDAF supports multi-region releases. Should checkout the press release, and the BETA version. It's fantastic.
Old 12-28-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might be thinking of the wrong site, but didn't Profiler's site go down for an extended period of time in 03, and the site owner was giving excuses for it that turned out to be untrue? I'm pretty sure it was Profiler, because I believe that was what caused me to leave for DVDSpot.
Old 12-28-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
At one point I had dvdaf, guzzlefish, and profiler collections. Dvd Af is simply the easiest to add at this time.
Old 12-28-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As Xploited mentioned above, www.FlixSociety.com is an up-and-coming option. I liked his work so much, that I've been adding submissions to be able to add my own collection.

At this point, the site doesn't have a ton of listings yet, but it's building quickly. It looks great, and the best part is that it incorporates other features other than just DVDs.

After being let down by the guy who runs DVD Aficionado way too many times, it's refreshing to have a site like FlixSociety run by someone like Xploited. If you make a reasonable request - he implements it ASAP. Give it a shot!

I still use DVDAF for the time being, and I'll always be a fan/user of DVD-Profiler. DVD Spot is another great site, and I do miss a lot of the stat-tracking features that Guzzlefish had.
Old 12-28-05, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by teamwinfan
Also, just as a side note.. I used to use DVD profiler, but they said I had to pay $30 for the premium version of their software in order to upload my collection online after I reached about 690 DVD titles in my collection. I then tried DVDAficionado which I didn't care for, and eventually wound up with DVDSpot.
I've had this problem a few times, but I just wait a few days and triy uploading again, and it has always worked. I assumed it was some kind of system glitch.
Old 12-28-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79

After being let down by the guy who runs DVD Aficionado way too many times.....
Yeah....there was a ton of moaning and groaning going on over there this past year or two. The forum should have never been started, at least thats my final feeling. Ed, however, treated me with respect which is red carpet treatment in my book. Then the assholes came on board.

I still use dvdaf for all my tracking the library needs....it itself has never let me down. Now that I pretty much ignore the forum....it's all back to being good.

Hell neighbor, I forgot you were even a member here at dvdtalk.
Old 12-28-05, 06:45 PM

DVDAF is my choice for keeping track of my collection. The forums there are another story altogether, though.

-JP
Old 12-28-05, 07:49 PM

I wish DVDtracker.com was still free. That was my first.
Old 12-28-05, 08:20 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I might be thinking of the wrong site, but didn't Profiler's site go down for an extended period of time in 03, and the site owner was giving excuses for it that turned out to be untrue? I'm pretty sure it was Profiler, because I believe that was what caused me to leave for DVDSpot.
No, I believe that was DVDaf. I've been a DVD Profiler user for years and couldn't be happier. The great thing about it is if the site goes down, you still have all the info on your computer. Entry is a breeze too. I paid for my copy a long time ago, but I had over 1000 before I did. They never made me upgrade, I just got tired of being a cheap-ass.
Old 12-28-05, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I was the only person disatisfied with the DVDAF forums, it's pretty terrible over there. I use DVDAF and DVDSpot, the only reason I still use DVDAF is because I'm to lazy to build a new wishlist at DVDSpot.
Old 12-28-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you want the best and dont mind shelling out the $ i would check out: http://www.delicious-monster.com/

if you want freebies i like dvdspot!

used to be a profiler fan...
Old 12-28-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Well, this thread has reminded me to pay for the premium registration for Profiler. I've been meaning to do it for some time. Right now it's downloading all the hi-res scans... this might take awhile

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.